Restoration Advice | FerrariChat

Restoration Advice

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by mguthrie, Dec 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I have finally summoned the resolve to seriously consider restoring my 1980 400i, s/n 32219. It is blue over tan w/blue piping and has 76,000 km on the odo. It was originally federalized by European Auto of Costa Mesa but has been gone from Cali since 1983 or so. It was a daily driver for me for 15 years.

It runs and is mechanically solid but is cosmetically rough. The paint is cracked and faded in places. The dash leather is cracked and shrunken. Seats show wear consistent with mileage and years but no cracking or tears. Tires and exhaust require replacement.

I have owned it for over 30 years and it has much sentimental value. It will be an occasional driver for me and deserves to see the road again. However, I do not aspire to a Classiche or concours level presentation.

Questions for the Community:
    1. What should I budget for a respray and interior?
    2. Any recommendations for shops in Michigan/Ohio or SE Florida?

Note: I am not interested in selling...just interested in figuring out how to make my baby reasonably good again! Thanks for your feedback.

Mike G.

2. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Mike,

You must be one of the longest owning 365/400 cars on here at 30 years! That is fantastic, congratulations! Given how long you have had the car and its mileage you must have really enjoyed the car! You know... it is almost mandatory that you post a few pictures!

As for your questions... Paint and interior resto costs can vary dramatically depending upon quality desired and your location. Having done this on my car (365) I would estimate $8K to $15K on paint (depending upon current body/paint issues, workmanship, location, glass in/out, etc) and $8K to $18K for the leather portion of the interior (depends upon workmanship, replacement material type and quality, etc). The interior is actually quite involved, as there are a lot of elements to it. For example there is the leather portion (front seats, door panels, back seats/arm rests, etc) and these require about 6 full leather hides to redo.There is also the dash, glove box, centre console, and rear deck (under back window) and this material is different (on 365 it is "mouse-hair" which is a bit pricey). Lastly, there is the carpeting...

I am sure others will comment with their experiences and insight as well.

Cheers,

Sam

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I agree with Sam's estimates above as I am in the process of doing the same to my car. I would add @ $7K for new exhaust system including new headers and also given the mileage you should think about the timing chain and tensioners. You will also want to look at the suspension bushings, wheel bearings and shocks.
    Otto on this site would probably be a good source for mechanics in FL. Good luck and post some photos!

4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Mike - I can't give estimates on leather work but in terms of paint you can talk to Cauley Ferrari in West Bloomfield for paint. I know they have done various restorations on cars. Also Achbach Automotive in Westerville Ohio (Columbus) does fabulous work. Dan Achbach has long been known for his work on exotics Ferrari and Lambo. Good luck.

5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Tony, if you can afford 338 Lapua, then you go for the full bare metal respray! :p

6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    LOL! It's like shooting 5 dollar bills!!!

Sorry - Didn't mean to hijack the thread

7. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    No problem. I am more partial to the classic 375 H&H myself. Correction: My serial number is 33219. I will post pictures when I have a chance to go through my archives. I may have to wait until the snow melts first!

8. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    OK....I have finally decided to do it! Cauley Ferrari of West Bloomfield, MI is expected to collect my 400i (#33219) today or tomorrow to start the journey. I plan to restore her to solid driver status. This will require minimal mechanical but minor body and major paint work. I plan to have the interior sprayed. The leather has some cracking but is in surprisingly good shape for a 38 year old lady.

I will keep you all posted on progress. She has been ridden hard over my 25+ years of ownership but has been seldom driven in the last 10 years as I dallied with muscle cars and Astons. However, I returned to the Prancing Horse fold with a "15 Cali T and rediscovered my enthusiasm for the marque. Actually, I had never really lost it but it may have lain dormant for just a little while.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  9. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
  10. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    wish you a good trip!
    Just a question: do you know what they are going to do about the dashboard? Will they have to change the leather or will they be able to stretch and make it fit again??

11. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    I believe it will have to be replaced. It may be too brittle to safely stretch. The original dash leather was black but it was replaced prior to my ownership. It is currently dark blue and better complements the exterior to my eye.

12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    im sure you are going to need a bare metal job, which will need all the bodywork and any found rust removed prior to painting. The Original cracking paint is more than likely Lacquer an shouldn't be painted over. Good luck

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Another word of advice, under no circumstance strip the paint off of the car before you see the new paint on a sprayout card. Regardless what the bodyshop tells you. The new formulas will be slightly different. Scan it first . ive gone three yrs on my GT4 resto and it wasn't easy. Btw ive owned mine for 17 yrs.
    Just my o2 cents

14. mguthrie

mguthrie Karting

Jul 11, 2010
    SE Mich and WPB, FL
    Full Name:
    Mike G.
    Thanks for the good advice. I am resigned to the prospect that the body panels will all have to come off to do a proper job. I have rarely seen paint with as much cracking as mine, even in an old car. I wonder whether the Chicago climate in which it lived for 20 years contributed to its deterioration??? I will meet with Cauley's service manager later this week to solicit his advice. I am not hopeful that I will be driving it this summer. However,maybe a fall color tour may be possible. I am getting excited....

15. OttoB

OttoB Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    If Cauley is close to you, perhaps pictures could be taken to document and illustrate the bodywork transformation? Or, they could do it for you (wouldn’t trust someone else, though)?

I believe we should all aspire to own our cars for as long as you have been fortunate enough to own yours, Mike! I’m coming up on 5 years next month on mine and couldn’t imagine not having it!

Best of luck and keep this thread updated with the progress.

Ak Jim and Jasonberkeley like this.
  16. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    Thanks mike.
    I had guessed the answer but wanted to know as I am wondering about mine...