F12 — 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017 | FerrariChat

F12 — 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by FerrariFire, Jun 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Hi guys,

Any major difference between 2015, 2016 and 2017 for the F12?

Is it right to assume later years are better in the sense of less issues/problems?

Thanks for your feedback

2. Gullwing

Gullwing Karting

Aug 30, 2016
    The later models will have a newer computer system in the dash similar to the 488, 2015 year may or may not have it. I have a December 15 registered car that has the newer dash computer. Earlier F12s had a system similar to the 458.

Also, later models had the option of Apple CarPlay.

3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    As a general rule of thumb when looking for one of these cars, later is usually better in terms of refinements, but it also means you will pay more for it. Some people would rather have those refinements and are OK with the extra cost. Others say that stuff doesn't matter as much as the lower cost. What matters is figuring out which person you are.

KenU and FerrariFire like this.
  4. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Good point, thank you.

5. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Could you elaborate on “refinement”?

A higher cost is something I can bear but since I’m looking for a titano exterior (which seems hard to find) with black interior, I only found a 2015.

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Sure. I would define refinement in two main areas: things you see and touch, and things you don't see and touch. In terms of the first part, they sometimes address various little material issues and also in the case of the F12 they put in the updated radio and NAV screens from the 488 (I think 2017 model year and onward). In terms of the things you don't see, I don't know of any refinements on the F12, but in the past you might get updated engine software or slightly improved mechanical bits like bushings. For some this will really matter. For others it won't matter one bit. I think most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Maybe its nice to have but not critical. I'm a little surprised that Grigio Titanio is tricky to find on the F12- its a fairly popular color and part of the standard color offerings. If you are really intent on having the car in GT, then you really need to stick with what you find. I think its a great color.

FerrariFire likes this.
  7. CrazyMD

CrazyMD Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Southern California
    Traction control and shifting algorithms seem to be changed in the 2016 models and higher. Maybe based on some development of the tdf. A 2016 car definitely drives a little different than years previous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FerrariFire and Caeruleus11 like this.
  8. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    That’s what I thought. Thanks for confirming and your feedback. I can oversee the aesthetic details. I am more concerned with how a 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017.

9. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Good to know, thanks for your input/feedback. Do you know if it’s something that can be updated - since it seems to deal with software?

10. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    That’s what I thought. Thanks for confirming and your feedback. I can oversee the aesthetic details. I am more concerned with how a 2015 vs 2016 vs 2017 drive.

Based on Gullwing’s post, the newer computer dash came in mid 2015.

Grigio Titano is indeed hard to find. Not many out there. Mostly black, white and red. The variance of grey are mostly Grigio Silverstone.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    #11 Solid State, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    There are no major differences in any year F12 and no later year sense of less issues/problems (perhaps the benefit may even go to the very earlier year cars but that data has not been verified). Buy the car that you would have ordered and in the condition and mileage you demand. Look for CPO, warrantee and service records. No accidents. I prefer owned vehicles versus leased. Also don't like sun baked areas with salty air or frozen areas with salty roads. Obviously garage kept and conditioned air even better. No stickies or any conditioner evident on any of the soft touch pieces. Best examples bring a premium and rightly so. You'll know it when you see it rather instantly. Best.

FerrariFire likes this.
  12. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Many excelleny points, thank you. Especially the owned vs leased car.