Differential side cover outer bearing race removal | FerrariChat

Differential side cover outer bearing race removal

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ludwig, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Hi all,
    I am just starting the differential swap with Newman's billet carrier and am replacing the bearings-
    What is the best way to remove the outer races from the side covers?
    -just heat the whole assembly and smack down on a wooden block
    -create molded ice insert for race- cool and tap
    -welder...

I'd really appreciate the best option

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Heat the area around the bearing with a torch, invert and it falls out. Have new race ready so you just drop it in and let it cool.

3. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Thanks will do it today!

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good luck, easy job

5. mikael82

mikael82 Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2007
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael
    This is how I did it; I froze ice around old race and after heating dropped it in, turned around and slam it to 2x6 with enaugh large hole to half fit side carrier and leave enaugh room race to drop. FINNISH vaneer screw back to 2x6 to keep it tokether and protect race from enything hard where in might drop.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

pshoejberg likes this.
  6. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Easy with enough heat- I heated the surrounding covers to the point of the old oil just smoking- about 375 degree F and they drop out easily. On another note- Just how "tight" should the limited slip clutching be- I resembled the components in the precise order with clean engine oil in Newman's billet carrier. torqued the bolts to 3 Nm. Pretty darn stiff to turn- takes about 60 lbs ft of torque (estimate) to "differentially" turn the stub axels. I do not see any spec as to what this should be in the extraordinarily detailed shop manual.;) I am assuming that with all of the clutch and plates in virtually as-new condition that this degree of "stiffness" is normal. Is there any spec for what the static turning torque should be?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    only 3 Nm? you need much more

8. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    sorry I meant 3 kg M about 21 lbs ft
    but how much force should it take to turn the stub shafts relative to each other?

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    even this I think is too little, 3 kgm is about 30 Nm and the bolts I think are 10 mm? if 8.8 so you can adjust with minimum 49 Nm, if 10.9 then 69 Nm

sorry, don´t know this :(

10. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I apply moly grease to the discs and have never had one chatter ever. The spring washer edge is usually flush with the edge of the carrier before the cap goes on.

11. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Don't forget about setting backlash. That's adjusted by putting shims behind the left side bearing race. You need to be able to remove the race, usually a few times, to get backlash set correctly. If you have a stock side cover, take an extra race to a machine shop and ask them to make the O.D. on the race small enough to slip it in and out of the side cover by hand. Once you have backlash set, replace the race with the new one.

Hopefully you're using all other original parts. Most people don't experience the need to change shims in those cases. I did not and had to replace the side cover requiring all new shims and a lot of time setting it up.

12. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Yes, I assembled this exactly as described and will, of course, check/ adjust backlash when I start reassembly in the transaxle . I just used engine oil in assembly and the spring washer was flush at the edge-seems right. I was just concerned at what should the appropriate amount of torque be at this stage between the stub shafts. I may very well reassemble with the moly grease as Paul mentioned. Overall, I am in the process of reassembly of all components and so the jobs are a bit out of sync. I still need to inspect the gearbox re syncros etc.
    On another note, It would be interesting to know the assembly order of the BBi s when they were originally manufactured. What is the most efficient way to assemble and maintain the best access to each added system. An example being that I am completing all the suspension components and then plan to install the refinished wheel well/fender components. It would be fun to have a time-lapse sequence of this from the past:)
    In the late 60's I had the opportunity to tour the assembly facility for the Lamborghini Miura s type and it was really cool to see the hand assembly in one location. I had a private tour as my Uncle knew Mr. Lambourghini's mistress at the time-all very normal....
    I also went on a long and highly energetic drive with one of the factory test drivers on the public roads and he proceeded to scare the cr*p out of me at times- overtake a large truck when another is coming straight at you. You wouldn't really go for it, not enough space or time, OMG you did and OMG we made it. Quite the experience. The sounds and sight of the row of webbers with their velocity stacks howling inches behind the headrest were impressive.
    I digress.

13. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Cool story.

When I was 12, Larry H Miller was my Scoutmaster. He later became a car dealer/real estate mogul and owner of the Utah Jazz. He had an original 427 AC Cobra. Took me for a ride once and my eyeballs could see the inside of my skull. I've never ridden in anything like that since.

14. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    I suggest that you find a welder that can run a weld around the inside of the bearing. Shrinks the bearing so it is easy to get out

15. Ludwig

Ludwig Formula Junior

Mar 27, 2006
    Redmond WA
    Full Name:
    Ludwig Allegra
    Yes, this is an effective technique in some cases but for the boxer, just a torch works great, I just had to have the courage to bring it up to a hot enough temp- a good indication is when the oil starts to smoke. The race will then just drop out- If one has to set up this shim it is conceivable that you are doing this a few times. I was fortunate enough that with Newman's diff the L shim was nuts on in terms of the crown gear/pinion pattern and the only thing I need to adjust is the R side shim to get the correct preload- I need an additional 0.40 mm to achieve this. Romano has been kind enough to custom grind a shim which I very much look forward to.