Wanted - 550 Maranello | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Wanted 550 Maranello

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by docapl, Apr 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Perfect!!!

NE550 likes this.
  2. bagelboy

bagelboy Karting

Apr 18, 2016
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Henry D.
    Wow, that's a beauty!!!!

NE550 likes this.
  3. centerfireman

centerfireman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2015
    Roseville, CA
    A black on black 1998, with 14K miles, just showed up on BringaTrailer and is not far from you (Emeryville).

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    That sounds like the Fantasy Junction car. They've been flogging that for months. There must be a reason.....

5. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I believe it is the Fantasy Junction car. Went to look at it months ago. It is quite rough. Personally I don't feel it is in satisfactory condition and to me it looks like minor issues have not been addressed as they occurred, so now it adds up to a car that is just not that attractive. Serious leather shrinkage, stickies, moldings deteriorating, some glass problems, and paint fair at best. It has every sign of a car that has not been well cared for IMO.

6. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, I just looked at BAT and it is indeed the FJ car. I didn't bother to read the description, but I hope they were honest about the car's needs. A lot of cheerleading goes on in the BAT comments section. There are a lot of daydreamers and reminiscers, but not too many serious buyers.

titangolf and docapl like this.
  7. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    ive heard similair but am i bit amazed on how well in looks in the description

8. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I looked at the FJ car and test drove it. I have to say it ran quite well. I did note that the a/c did not work. In the records posted by BAT is an invoice from Dino motors. This is essentially a PPI that FJ ordered before they bought the car. Buyers should be aware this work has not been completed. At the right price I would consider the car. However, the BAT bidding has already reached the point where it would not be attractive for a buyer who wants to fix all the issues. Also in need of a major service and new tires due to age.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

9. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I think Maranellos are pretty tricky to buy from afar. I went through the buying process early last year and found that condition on these cars can vary widely, and even the best photo documentation won't capture everything accurately about a car, let alone give you a feel for how a car drives. Even a good PPI can't do that. So, I decided that, given the $100K+ price point and all the various issues that can be wrong with these cars, I really needed to physically lay eyes on and drive the cars I was interested in to really be able to make an informed purchase decision.

As it turned out there were three 550s for sale in the ATL area at the time, which afforded me the opportunity to fly down there for a quick overnight trip, and examine and drive all three. So, I did. One, which purported to have the lowest mileage of the three, turned out to be pretty rough cosmetically and had multiple issues and poor documentation; one was a very nice higher-mileage, long-time dealer maintained/documented example; and one was a moderate-mileage, well documented excellent condition example. It was very instructive to say the least and well worth the travel time and expense.

10. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
  11. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    I am following it Rey. You did a great job with the photos on BAT. Good luck with auction.

12. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
  13. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    Thank you

14. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    Thank you Anthony

15. docapl

docapl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    550nitis likes this.
  16. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Congratulations! It looks lovely!

17. reimelmotorcars

reimelmotorcars Karting

Sep 18, 2018
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Chuck Reimel
    Pretty car!

18. reimelmotorcars

reimelmotorcars Karting

Sep 18, 2018
    West Chester PA
    Full Name:
    Chuck Reimel
    I saw this on Bring a Trailer. Good buy and Congrats!

19. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming