Maranellos on BaT | FerrariChat

Maranellos on BaT

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by NE550, Jun 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While the overall Maranello market (both 550s and 575s; Barchettas, SAs and manual 575w excepted) may be flat to slightly down in the last year or so, specific cars such as the recent Giallo 550 on BaT may surpass expectations with the right combination of these factors. Each Maranello listed for sale on BaT or elsewhere tends to stand on its own merits based on a combination of presentation and relative condition, mileage, colors and options, documentation, etc.

The Fantasy Junction Nero 550 auction that ended recently didn't make reserve w/ a high bid of $135K. Perhaps the known issues on this car and its apparent spotty maintenance history brought up on this forum and commented on in the BaT auction comments dampened the bidding.

Meanwhile, a very nice appearing, apparently well maintained 27k Argento 550 with some nice options posted up for sale on BaT late yesterday. Will this one post strong results? We shall see.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I bet it sells for $125K. That's my guess for a "higher" mileage example, as it does look to be in excellent shape with good documentation to follow it.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    BAT is such a small crowd, you can't really call it a market price. Its a small crowd of car enthusiasts who mostly cannot even afford a Ferrari and spend most every listing posting dumb/fake commentary ie "I heard X cost $4,000 on these bad boys". It's a small collection of car guys and it honestly depends when your auction ends, end at 4:20 on a tuesday afternoon, probably wont do well. I was actually bidding on a 7,000 mile testarossa or something like that maybe 3 months ago and it was in houston near my parents and I fully planned on buying it and it sold for cheap I believe 108k or something but the auction ended at some weird time on a tuesday/wed and I completely forgot about it bc I was at work. the expensive cars rarely sell on there. Honestly I hope the site grows bc I'd like to use it down the road to sell my cars but right now its a niche site with a small pool of buyers, many of whom are very uniformed.

lhoward likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Completely disagree with almost all of what you've posted in RE to BaT.

There are a many informed buyers, and informed car enthusiasts as well. It may not be "the market" to a T, but it sure beats the hell out of eBay and re-listing due to dead beat after dead beat, and the BS show that follows in trying to recoup funds etc.

Look at it simply from a business perspective.

$99 charge to sell

5% on sale price capped at $100K

Where else do you see options and continuous Sale results like that?

BaT does this: realistic sales prices are realized, and buyers have automatic skin in the game if they win, as your CC is instantly pulled in the % amount owed on sale price. The business model is freaking brilliant. They (currently) don't seem over greedy either, they could probably go back to their higher tiered model of charging more and STILL get the sales numbers they are pushing.

Just click "Auctions" and scroll down the to continuous flow of "sold sold sold", then see those vs the "RNM's". Their ratio is pretty impressive, and I attest that in some respects they are actually setting the realistic market for cars currently. Sure, maybe some of the high dollar cars don't hit their reserve, but those are the same cars we see posted by dealers on eBay or Hemmings, and HAVE been, over and over, for the past year(s). So what's the difference?

I haven't bought from BaT, just sold a few cars, but it was fun, and besides my M3 at no reserve, I felt like the price realized was fair. Nothing niche about it.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    yes the fees are wonderful, but the community, most of them are ignorant. Ferraris arent the fastest cars and tons of comments are I could get a Golf GTI souped up for less and its faster and cheaper.....ok do that, thats not why you're buying a classic Ferrari. I don't have my 575 bc of its speed, its not even that fast compared to cars I could buy today. The 575 is in my garage bc its beautiful and a dream of mine, I never dreamed of a golf gti. A 575 recently sold on there for $84k I believe, another really nice nice one for $115k, its a cool site, the fees are low but the community, bless their heart they're car guys, but most can't/wont ever understand ferrari. I dont expect the average person to understand how or why we pay what we do to repair our cars, is it silly? Probably but if you love your gorgeous sculpture you pay what you pay and there's no reasoning on why.

lhoward and LARRYH like this.
  6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    So what you mean is BaT is not super Ferrari knowledgeable/sale friendly. With the rest painted in a large broad stroke.

I mean, there are other things out there besides Ferrari's. Do I love them? Sure, but I also love pre-war Lancia's, and 1950's Maserati's and anything British from the 50's and 60's. Different strokes is what BaT represents. Just spend some time on an auction you may not necessarily look at normally, like a Skyline (for me), some of those JDM guys are freakin' brilliant with those cars, and that's what they love.

7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Thats exactly what I said and this particular thread was about how maranellos do on BAT.....they're a Ferrari. I said in my first post you cannot call it a market price for a ferrari and thats absolutely true. If you would read the commentary most guys have never owned a ferrari and are just ignorant in regards to what a ferrari really is. Again I don't have my Ferrari bc its cheap to maintain but on a relative scale, my 575 costs peanuts to maintain vs my SLR so when people go on BAT and say stuff like "x car cost too much to maintain" its annoying to me bc everything is relative and like I said a Ferrari isn't the cheapest rare car to keep running, so I get why uninformed people would make such commentary but at the same time, the maranellos in particular are some of the cheapest ferrari to maintain so its relative. See people complained so much about the 355 and its engine out costs that many commentators on BAT think its the same thing when belts for a maranello can be under $3k, mine were $2500 but then you get comments of "ferrari v12 running costs are insane" and on and on.

Every car is its own situation, the opinions of a bunch of armchair quarterbacks who've never owned one is meaningless and BAT lets all the commentary scare people off. Other than that its a cheap platform to sell your car which is awesome. You want me to put my SLR on there with a $23,000 service receipt from last year for the spark plugs so I can hear how spark plugs on a souped up honda civic are $25 + labor?

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    There are a couple Fchat people who comment on BaT, when a Ferrari pops up.
    I read a lot of the auctions on there, never comment.
    About 10-20% of the comments on F cars seem to by people who know the cars.
    Reasonable fees, I like the sight and have noticed a lot of the auctions end between 11am and 2pm my time.
    They have a lot of the same cars over and over, but also have some rarely seen OMG vehicles.
    For me reading the posts is entertaining.

Laserguru and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  9. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    :)
    Like .......”You can get those same spark plugs at Rockauto for $1.25 each”
    There is definitely a few full of brainless hot air in the comment section.

LARRYH and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That 550 hit $130K and didn't meet reserve. It's a decent car but very low options - no shields, modular wheels, quilted shelf, etc. Also, miles are a bit questionable IMO - look at the driver's seat and the break rotors. The step in the rotors seems like more than 14K miles to me but I suppose it could all be city miles.

IMO, in today's market, $130K was a great price for that car - I don't understand the reserve being higher.

11. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When I posted this thread it wasn't intended to either defend or criticize BaT as a sales venue for Maranellos or any other car, but to track and comment on Maranellos that appear on BaT from time to time. Clearly BaT is growing in importance in the collector car world, and we're seeing more Maranellos come up for sale on it.

I personally think BaT is not only a legitimate venue within the overall market for collector/exotic/interesting cars, it is becoming one of the most influential and important. I have no dog in the fight here and I've not bought or sold a car on BaT. But like a lot of car guys, I do spend a lot of time on BaT and do track sale prices of cars I'm interested in. One of the nice things about BaT is the ability to do just that very easily.

Like it or not BaT's innovative approach with the ability to post comments and running bids, and its transparent and relatively low auction pricing structure is winning over many converts. And while you do see a lot of ignorant comments posted (just as you do in any forum), that doesn't mean only ignoramuses are on BaT. Far from it. All of my car friends -- and I have many -- who are all highly knowledge, long-time sophistiIcated car buyers (these are guys in their 40s, 50s and 60s who are financially able to buy basically whatever car they want, and several have very fine collections)...they are all BaT addicts. And none of them post comments. But they all sure do pay attention to BaT and track multiple auctions going on for cars they like, all the time. A few of them have bought and or sold cars of BaT too, and were very pleased with the experience.

That said, I maintain that there is no "market" price for a Ferrari. There may be a market range at any given time, but each car I believe more or less stands on its own merits within the overall market and on a given venue, whether at a dealer, on BaT, at a BJ or Mecum auction, or anyplace else. End of the day, a given car is worth only what a buyer is willing to pay for it at that time and at that place. Noting more, nothing less. But to say that prices for cars on BaT do not accurately reflect "the market" because of all the idiots posting ignorant comments, is simply not true and misses the point.

12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The high end cars never meet their reserve, never so no its not accurate market price. It's a fine place to buy and sell a cheaper car, but the cars at the top end do not do well, and many have posted as much. Its a great place to buy and get a steal but no its not the place to get top dollar for your car.

13. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    last i checked BaT traffic web volume crushes fchat.... and we saw what happened with the fchat auction endeavor (no offense rob)

and from listing 3 cars, imho, it is a much better place to sell than buy

14. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    and the yellow 550 sold for strong money......

the red 575 that went for RNM is basically listed now for the same money out of MI. they should have taken that $$$

15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    What's your idea of a "high end car"? Did the Stratos qualify?

16. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The superamerica ended nowhere near the dealers asking price, plenty of other $300k+ cars

17. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    In the last 12 months 8 SLS AMGs have been sold for prices ranging from $120k to $170k.

18. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    Gentlemen the 99 550 Argento Nurburgring currently on BAT is my car. We'll see where it goes.

Texas Forever and docapl like this.
  19. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    your lucky to be within CC range for service. O runs a nice operation.

20. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Good luck with the auction Rey, it sure is a stunning car.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  22. ReyF

ReyF Karting

Jan 10, 2017
    Thank you

23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The 430 F1 in Henry's list above looks like a very nice car, and also sold well, but the original owner definitely perceived colours in a different way to most people.

24. henryr

Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    just a thought and OT

but i would be surprised if one of the major auction houses came knocking or replicated the model (why take so long?)