My First Ferrari 07 F430 Spider #154977 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

My First Ferrari 07 F430 Spider #154977

Discussion in '360/430' started by KBR54, Dec 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Thanks and congratulations on your recent F430 purchase, very nice looking car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    So now that writing about the purchase, picking the car up and the road trip are over...what a great road trip
    I guess this thread will mature into a #154977 F430 Spider car history thread for a future buyer of the car to look through and for the entertainment of others.
    I will be posting less as I hope to be as problem free as possible with this car but I will write about anything interesting that might happen or anything that I DIY or work I get done to the car to have a online record that can put looking at a work order into context for a future buyer.
    Thanks to everyone for all the positive comments through out the thread.

3. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Well problem free didn’t last long lol...I have the tinny sounding rattle at 3000 rpm that apparently is common to the F430. ( had the rattle on the trip but just figured out what it was )
    My Right outside Exhaust Tip is slightly loose and if tapped makes a tinny sound where the rest of the Tips make a solid sound when tapped. So I searched FChat about this issue and have found my answer.
    Remove the Right side Exhaust Pipes to get the Tip re welded as they are only barely tacked on.
    So while I was looking at the removal I was also looking at how to adjust my Exhaust Tips to get them centered top to bottom in the Bumper opening as they were very close to the bottom.
    What I noticed is that my Capristo Exhaust Brackets were bolted to the top of the Muffler Flange and if they were bolted to the bottom it would raise the Exhaust Tips about 1” which should be close to centered. I looked up the Capristo installation instructions and saw that they in fact should be bolted to the bottom and therefore were installed incorrectly. I phoned the Indy shop in Chicago that did the install. With the pics I emailed him we discussed the install and he agreed that it was installed incorrectly, believe it or not Timo did offer to fly out to Alberta to correct the install...I declined the offer lol. I think I have the DIY skills to correct it myself.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Pic taken looking down
    Pic of Capristo install instructions showing mounting from the bottom
    Pic of Tips before correcting Bracket install

Also my Big Daddies Garage Mini Cats arrived ( thanks to my salesman Eric from CMC for ordering and shipping them to me as Big Daddies Garage no longer will ship outside the US )
    I did get the 420/430 codes after the Capristo Headers were installed.
    So these items are my weekend project, I will update with pics once all items corrected.

4. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    “What I noticed is that my Capristo Exhaust Brackets were bolted to the top of the Muffler Flange and if they were bolted to the bottom it would raise the Exhaust Tips about 1” which should be close to centered.”

Dave, same happened to my car when I bought it. I had to re-do the Capristo bracket like you did so that all the exhaust tips are centered in the bumper cutout. Reviewed the service records, the previous owner had replaced the header with MKII and from the cat back with Race Capristo muffler, Capristo bracket and exhaust tips. Any other than that, the exhaust sounds so great and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    2bf360 Did you have any issues taking off the Allen Head bolts on the Muffler Flange ? On mine the Nuts are coming off destroying the threads...very hard to unbolt
    Are these one time use nuts
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    No issues at all, I used battery powered impact screw driver on the nuts and used Allen wrench to hold the bolts in place and came right out. I re-used the nuts and bolts with no problem.

7. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    They must have been cross threaded then....AAARRRGG Broke 2 nuts right off and the other 2 look bent a bit.
    I can’t get new ones till after the long weekend now.

8. 2bf360

2bf360 Karting

Dec 18, 2014
    WA
    Full Name:
    Heng
    They must have... good that you caught it.

9. Joe_CT

Joe_CT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 16, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just catching up on your thread today. Looks like you had a great road trip... thanks for sharing!

10. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    One of my Exhaust Tips started to rattle at 3000 rpm.
    I have found a very cheap quick so far temporary fix...but it’s still working so maybe permanent we will see.
    I had my Exhaust pipes off as I was re installing my Capristo Brackets on the correct side of the Muffler Flange. So while the rattle side was off I inspected the spot welds and for cracks on the brackets inside the Tips and all looked good but I could still make a Tinny sound if I tapped it. It appears that there is a slight gap at the Tip end that allows it to rattle.
    Being a long weekend I couldn’t find anyone to take it off and re weld it on tight and I wanted/needed the car on the weekend.
    I looked at a local hardware store and found these aluminum collars that are used to make a loop in a small steel cable and then be crimped.
    I squeezed the one side in my vise until 1/3 would slide into between the Tip and the Pipe then tapped it in till everything was tight and a solid sound when I tapped on the Tip.
    It didn’t seem to deform my Tip and has worked now for a month or so and about 300 miles.
    So no need to rush to get it re welded now I guess, I’m going to see how long it stays in or just get the Tip re welded next time I take the Exhaust pipes off.
    Hopefully this temp $3 fix will help someone else with that embarrassing Tinny rattle till a proper fix can be done.

11. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    I seem to be having a similar issue. Rattle only occurs as I pass through 3000 rpm after engine is hot. Haven’t been able to localize it though. Thought it was needed adjustment of my capris to brackets. Can you measure distance between upper and lower bracket for me?

12. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Aero man I’m not exactly sure what you would like me to measure. With Capristo Brackets there are only the 2 Capristo Brackets they replace all the OEM Brackets. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    As you can see these where installed on top of the Exhaust Flange which is incorrect they should be on the bottom of the Exhaust Flange which should make your Exhaust Tips be in the middle of the opening.
    Hope that was what you were looking for...if not give me a better description of what your wanting to measure and I will be happy to oblige.

13. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    In the photo you posted, try to measure from the top of the bracket attached to the muffler immediately next to one of the bolts securing the springs down to the bottom of the black bracket that attaches to the bumper bolts. I hope this is clear.

14. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    I think I get it...basically bottom to top to get how far the springs are tightened down.
    I will be home tomorrow and will measure with pics

15. Aeroman

Aeroman Karting

Nov 8, 2013
    DFW Texas
    I think I fixed my problem with resonant vibration passing through 3000 rpm. I removed the spring bolts and springs, then I noticed that the rubber isolators on the aft side of the body brackets had moved a great deal due to the adhesive letting loose due to the exhaust heat. I removed the body brackets, cleaned up the residual adhesive with ISO alcohol, then re-glued the isolators with high temperature epoxy. Next I re-installed the body brackets with about 0.100" thickness of washers under the brackets c/t the bumper bolts. Finally I replaced the spring bolts with stainless bolts and lock nuts, coating the threads with high temperature anti-sieze compound. I also coated the contact surfaces of the spring washers with anti-sieze to make movement a little easier. I compressed the springs to 2.0" which is equivalent to 5 cm. I found in another post.

I hope this helps someone else. Will update in a few days as to whether my problem is really solved.

KBR54 likes this.
  16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I think I have a tinny sound too. I don't think I have aftermarket muffler. I was just thinking its a noise that I need to deal with, 13xxx miles , 08 but after reading this thread I think I should delve further.

Good thread.

17. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Sorry I didn’t get that measurement for you yet, I didn’t get home the other day as planned...just got home today.
    Sounds like you have it all figured out though. When I took my Capristo Brackets off to re mount them correctly my rubber isolators had moved as well. I just moved them back, if they move again I will do the re-glue fix you described.
    If you still want that measurement let me know.

18. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    absostone likes this.