Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model? | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Will there be a NEW manual transmission Ferrari model?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mikael-F360, Aug 31, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

Absolutely ,,,this is best post to the question,,

2. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I thought all the car makers these days just buy dual clutch gearboxes from companies like Getrag. Wouldn't the development of a manual gearbox therefore be higher than sourcing from a partner? I wonder which (third party, i.e. not in-house) companies still develop manual gearboxes that then get sold to, I don't know, Peugeot or whatever...

Maybe it's just easier to not bother. Didn't Ferrari say that they spent millions developing the manual gearbox for the California, and then they were almost all sold with an F1?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    The cali is the Merc Sl competitor, hardley a candidate client for a manual. Porche seemed capable of developing a specific box only for the Gt3 which interstingly now has a 70% manual takeup rate in the USA. Ricardo developed the manual transaxle for the 05 ford Gt.

The issue is not developing the box, its emissions certifying the powertrain. Going further todays DCT boxes and motors are seen a one electronicaly controlled power unit. Putting an unpredictable human in charge requires a lot of programmimg of all things like esp etc. But as others have attested its not such a big deal in todays computer world.

Fearrai figured why bother, just as they dont really bother making drivers cars anymore anyway, thats not their client base.

Funny thing one need only look at harleys declining sales to realize a unidimensional walter mitty customer base is very risky.

Today imo real drivers take their cars to the track to excercise. Whether DCt or not it would be nice if ferrari occasionaly made a car that was not too precious to track, even if it didnt have "ultimate nth" degree performance. I think Maclren is about to fill that niche with its 570Lt, just as Indian is about to fill the tracker niche with its 1200 tracker, a bike Harley should have built oh a decade ago..

bubbaboy likes this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No $300,000+ car has "a driver's car" as their base clientele.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    675 LT.
    And a drivers car can cost 200k.
    But youre right in one way, excpt for maybe some Gt3s(180k) the +200k car is just pose city.

6. RossoCorsaItaly

RossoCorsaItaly F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    LA | Austin |Miami
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Porsche and Ferrari are two completely different companies and that's why Ferrari will never bring the manual transmission back.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    who knows for me an obvious choice is a new mid engine V6 call it the Dino and make it kind of like a 4c only more Ferrari friendly i.e. comfortable put a. manual charge around 250K then after a couple of years put out a special version call it limited production and charge around 300 and make the car more track like ...kinda like the4c...
    I would buy this car if done right...

boxerman likes this.
  8. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I think they will.

Porsche have them, and whilst they are different market places, the manuals are aimed at the enthusiast.

Chatting to Aston dealer last week apparently they will as well on the new vantage, again different market but aimed at their enthusiasts. (V12 vantages in manual also apparently command a £10-15k premium over the sportshift thing)

Doesn’t matter if you personally don’t like manuals, there is more than enough people who do, so there is a clear market for them.

Ferrari just need to decide what markets they want to be in. It would seem a perfect fit market wise to me.

boxerman and Mikael-F360 like this.
  9. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well, they're making a station wagon. So anything is possible.

10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Both of my teenage sons insisted on manuals, and both have WRXs. All their friends are car guys.
    You guys think you know the future, you don't.
    I have a Porsche 991.2 GT3 with a manual...picked it up last week of March...already has 5500 miles on it...it is an absolute joy to drive.
    Porsche "gets it," Ferrari is starting to lose it (IMO). They seem caught in an idiotic dick-measuring contest with McLaren and Lambo..0-62mph times, top speeds...just plain stooopid. They want idiotic clients comparing internet racing times? Well, they are certainly doing a good job of heading down that retard road.
    I have a nice collection of NA Ferrari's that are emotionally satisfying to drive...turned down the Pista...and will continue turning down new turbo-electric Ferrari's that seek 0-62 mph times of 2.2 secs, losing their character along the way.
    Build a manual Ferrari and you will capture all the profit you seek in your equally idiotic FUV.

boxerman, F2003-GA, INTMD8 and 2 others like this.
  11. davidoloan

davidoloan Formula Junior

May 6, 2009
    Full Name:
    David
    That has been the case for decades. When nearly all US cars were auto, nearly all European cars were manual.

The thing that has changed is the new tech gearboxes are common in Europe, and auto's became popular in the SUV craze which is just over fifteen years old. We still have the manual though.