308GTBi Headlights not working | FerrariChat

308GTBi Headlights not working

Discussion in '308/328' started by Dino246gt, Jun 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Hi, so this morning I turned on the headlights but nothing, always worked before. Flashers work, brake lights work, turn signals work, dash, dome, they all work but the headlights and parking lights do not!
    Must be fuse or relay??? I put Birdman fuse blocks in over 10 years ago, no problems until this. TIA for your help. Dennis

2. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    #2 StuR, Jun 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Hi Dennis,

Can I ask :

So your head lights pop up, but there’s no light?

So have you swapped the fuse, and replaced a bulb? (you may need to replace both to be sure, or tested the old ones).

Checked the wiring connector(s), checked a ground.

Is it full beams, or side lights, or low beams? (I think what you call parking lights are what UK call side lights - even though they’re not at the side!)

Meanwhile - don’t drive at night and enjoy the 4mpg+ and -.4s 0-60 time of your aerodynamic improvements of not raising the pods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sounds like the inside of the the twist knob of the stalk is the problem, as there are two wires soldered in there and one or both wires probably came unsoldered so no contact when twist.

StuR likes this.
  4. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I have not replaced fuses or relays because I don't know which ones, in the manual there are a lot of them! MAYBE it is in the twist stalk, is that easy enough to open up?

5. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    No. And it's a lot easier to open the fuse box.

StuR likes this.
  6. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +1 (… except maybe the thing about the aerodynamic improvements).

If you haven't done anything before the problem started, start with the basics: check the fuses first. IIRC, each light is on a separate fuse. If this is true and both lights don't work, it is unlikely that both fuses or both bulbs burned concurrently.
    Time to study that Owner's Manual and figure out which fuse give power to the thing that is giving you problems. Its fairly straightforward to figure out which one(s).

Opening the twist stock is major surgery.

StuR likes this.
  7. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Do you hear the relays click? The manual is really good about fuse and relay locations.
    My twist knob gave me a problem. It was easy to pull off, check for a broken solder joint (none) clean the filthy contacts, and put back on. Now they work!

8. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    So far my guess is the twist stalk, there are 3 or 4 fuses and the same number of relays related to the lights and raising of the headlights. No clicking sound, I'll try wiggling the stalk, should I do that? Maybe that will cause more problems? I'm okay if I don't drive in the dark, signals and brake lights work, but of course I want to fix it.

9. Archer911

Archer911 Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2016
    New England
    Full Name:
    Tim
    On my car the motors for the headlights are controlled by a relay as are the lights themselves. If it's not the fuses it's probably the switch in the stalk. Search this site and you should find a conversation or two about pulling the knob off the stalk. That's what I did, exposed the copper contacts, and proceeded as above. The trick is to not lose the ball bearing and spring inside. Apply grease to both the ball bearing and spring so they stick upon reinstallation. If you think you need to replace the assembly Verrel has multiple solutions at Unobtanium supply-great guy!!!

StuR likes this.
  10. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I went to try and "wiggle" the stalk, but it's solid, no movement other than the way it's supposed to move. I can't image more than one fuse or relay going at the same time??? The headlights do NOT pop up either, is there ONE fuse or relay that would be most likely the culprit?

11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I Don’t have your owners manual - I’m a mondi QV ; but if it’s like mine it should have it all in,

But you can always manually raise the headlights to at least test for voltage/blown bulbs, etc. As a blown relay, or fuse, may have resulted in bulbs blowing too. So replacing a fuse may not see ‘light’, though at least the pods should pop up.

I would really heed others so far and consider a possible bad earth somewhere and the stalk. Really useful just to see what has blown/gone. If nothing else, photograph everything and pull a few to inspect. No idea if yours has same relays for different applications, you could always swap some out. However if the relay has gone, might need to ask why? I have had fuses go with bulbs, but parking lights, head lights (2 sets) and light pods starts to look like a single source point.

Have you got (or googled) wiring diagram for your car? Plenty about.

12. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    I do have the owner's manual, which shows that there are a number of fuses and relays related to the headlights popping up and lighting up, so I wouldn't think all of them went at once. I'll go take of the steering wheel now and see what I can see from there. Turn signals and flashers work, but no parking lights, same bulb, so I know it's not the bulbs!

13. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    haltalotta and StuR like this.
  14. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    So where your razor blade is, does that separate the end? Then I can just pull it off? I've got the steering wheel off but there's a big nut I was just about to remove, rather try what you're showing first.

15. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Mike you are right and thank you so much, so I removed the end of the stalk, and the wires are disconnected from the copper, when I touch them, everything works! When I pulled the end cap off, I heard little parts flying, ball bearing and spring, hopefully those are the only 2? BUT where do THEY go after I solder?
    Thank you so much for this! Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

haltalotta likes this.
  16. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Dennis, yes those are the only two parts. Sorry I’ve should have told you to be careful with the ball and spring. IIRC, If you look inside the end cup you should see where the ball should go in to and the spring, I think sits on the stalk which you press and hold it in place while you’re installing the end cup till the spring is inside the end cup. Sorry it has been a while since I did this, but I’m glad you found the problem

17. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Brilliant work Dennis. Almost there, wonder if it’s worth checking other stalks when done, and horn connector. They can all get a bit loose/grim.

18. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Soldered and working, but have to try and keep copper pieces separated, don't know where the spring and ball bearing go? Does the spring go into a hole in the stalk and the bearing over that?

19. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Stu, I looked everything over and it's all great, clean and solid, NOW I just need to put the stalk back together, which I can't find any drawings of! Got the spring and ball bearing but don't know where they go???

20. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I’m like Mike, I did mine a long time ago - and not sure what yours are like compared to the Mondi :-(

I think mike posted about a small indent... of course, the other stalks may be the same / similar, but could leave you with a 2nd one to fix!?!

21. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Okay it's all done and works fine, thank you everyone so much, especially my next door neighbor, who soldered it and when I came in to ask where the spring and ball bearing go, well I went back out and he had it all back together! I just put the steering wheel back on, tested the horn and off I go for a cruise! I love it!

thorn and miketuason like this.
  22. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Delegation in action!!! Well done Dennis, hopefully a useful journey to get there in the end. Have a great drive.

23. Dino246gt

Dino246gt Formula 3

Mar 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba,
    Full Name:
    Dennis Ezmerlian
    Just so y'all know, I did have it somewhat modified so that when I lift the lever to put the headlights and parking lights on, then twist to turn off the headlights and leave the parking lights on, the headlights close to leave the rest of the lights on. I drive like that every time, sort of like daytime running lights, but the rear and license plate lights are also on. I don't drive at night much. Everything is back to working like new again, and if I didn't remove the steering wheel (5 minutes) the whole job would've been no more than 10 or 15 minutes!

Archer911 likes this.
  24. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    This is the simplest repair for a very frustrating problem. My headlight switch lost the ball bearing thus making the switch really touchy. I'm 6'1" so my knee hits the switch every once in a while and the car goes down the road winking. Getting the right size ball bearing (my spring was still in there although I was prepared with a spring from a ballpoint pen) was very helpful. Fixed it in 10 seconds. Thanks for this simple, but really important thread!

Dino246gt and miketuason like this.
  25. SeaSea

SeaSea Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    New York
    These Italian bike bearings worked well as a replacement for me.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PQQVSS/