give me your stereotype on Volvo drivers.. | FerrariChat

give me your stereotype on Volvo drivers..

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by toshiba, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. toshiba

toshiba Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Santa
    guys,

I have had a hard time placing Volvo drivers.. tell me your opinion on who drives Volvos.. I can't place them really

2. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    New volvos, the ultimate appliance, people who truly do not care about their car. They could have bought anything for the money they spent but chose the blandest most uninteresting car on the road.

Old volvos, 240s and R models etc, super nerd types. People who like having what's uncommon. No one buys these by accident.

I want a V70R wagon...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

anunakki and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Who's holding up the traffic?

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

4. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    You can cut them off in traffic and otherwise display extremely rude and hostile behavior.

No Volvo driver carries a gun!

:)

Matt

energy88 and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  5. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Marin Calif
    Somewhat dated stereotype:
    I don't pay attention to driving, I am surrounded by the safety of my Volvo.

6. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I resent all these comments! I own a Volvo because whenever I drive recklessly, I want to increase MY chance of survival!

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  7. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    The drug smugglers should really take note of this when looking for cars cops wont pull over, saab too.

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  9. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Little Beige Volvo

. . . sounds like a hit!

"I am weak-ish on snatch" ~ joker57676

10. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I have a Volvo XC90 and I’m quite discerning about what I drive. It’s not a fun vehicle but the interior is beautiful and it’s safe as they come.

11. ferrariwithsnowtires

ferrariwithsnowtires Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2005
    I had a 96 850R wagon (great car but needed to much maintenance) and fit the nerdy bill.

My father in law had multiple 240 sedans and was also nerdy.

I started to find that Volvo expanded their customer base after the 850/V70 era from nice conscientious types to also include ****heads who would cut you off at the drop of a hat, don't signal, etc..

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  13. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  14. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    There is a niche group of Volvo owners who are into performance. I noticed what looked like a prancing horse sticker on a co-workers Volvo and on closer inspection noticed it was a prancing moose!

15. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I like Volvos. I guess I'm a nerd who doesn't like cars or carry a gun :(

16. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  17. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Boomhauer likes this.
  18. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I believe Volvo drivers are unaware, believe they are safe and generally are accident prone, hense the volvo.

A buddy swore only people who get in to or cause accidents drive volvos.

Having been on the roads 45 years in the metro NY area, I've not changed my opinion.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    In an honest response, I saw the most Volvos in Seattle and Boston. Seattle has a significant Scandinavian population and in that area of NW Seattle there were more Volvo and Saab than I had ever seen. To me the Volvo demographic is concerned about safety, simple styling and in nebulous terms 'the environment.' Their demo surely tends to the left politically and is probably heavily weighted to education and arts.

To me, its nearly the exact same customer demographic as Subaru, with more luxurious interiors. The only thing is that Subaru has a segment of younger buyers with its BRZ and WRX/STi demographic.

20. Dazanz

Dazanz Karting

Jan 24, 2015
    New Zealand (Queenstown)
    Full Name:
    Daren
    I won't say I drive this V90 because I push the driver assist button and it drives itself. Nicest handling car I have driven and goes anywhere. So many features, no petrol cap, built in booster seats etc etc

Attached Files:

Boomhauer likes this.
  21. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    An unfortunate stereotype...

Kai

22. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

My dad had a 1962 Saab wagon, so it's not a Sweedish car thing. Just the observation of Volvo owners/drivers.

My other observation; avoid cars where the driver is an older gent driving while wearing a full rim hat, like a fedora from the 60s. Sad, but true.

23. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I’ve liked Volvo’s since I bought a V70 wagon in early 2000’s. We were having a 2nd child and I didn’t want a minivan so a station wagon was my target. At the time there weren’t too many true wagon options. The seats in the Volvo were outstanding! Had that wagon for years put almost 200k on it. Bought an old 240 wagon for a beater and just bought my wife an XC60 recently. I prefer European cars and I drive 40k plus a year. Don’t know how that fits your stereotype.

24. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Story above is almost identical to mine. When I moved in with my girlfriend (now my wife) nearly 20 years ago she already had a stick shift convertible and we figured we didn’t need two impractical cars. So, I bough an XC70 since we didn’t want an SUV (my wife is short and didn’t want to have to climb up). We swapped cars and then she bought another new XC70 when we had kids and she didn’t want a minivan. Fast forward 15 years and we bought the new XC90 when it came out due to the design, quality, and safety. It’s a great car. We still have two high HP convertibles in the stable but put more miles on the Volvo than anything as our family hauler.

25. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    I always felt the owners of Swedish cars weren’t comfortable with the flash stigma of a Merc or Bimmer but had the wherewithal to afford either. A Volvo or Saab kept you under the radar without skipping on build quality, up to the minute safety engineering or performance. I always preferred Saabs but both cars had unique features and generally offered a cozier environment than the Germans, similar to Peugeot or Citroen with thrice the solidity. The current S60V60 and Polestars have slippery seats and understeer no end but I look at owners and they are me ;).