New Owner 1982 Giallo - Questions, pictures and my adventures | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Owner 1982 Giallo - Questions, pictures and my adventures

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by swong46, Nov 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    Looking good! You'll be able to get in and out of the corners so much quicker. Good choice.

2. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Looks very nice!
    Which kind/brand of shocks are these? You have a link by any chance?

3. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks! They are QA1 Proma Star shocks, you can get them anywhere.

4. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    A ton of tools in a cramped garage later...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Here's the cross weights before I started messing with the balance. Front was dead on perfect with me in it but rear was too left heavy. Didn't get to finish but had to lock it all down for Radwood tomorrow! Though I don't think I can balance it well enough and preserve the even ride height.

I couldn't find weight distribution data on the Mondial, but here you go; ~58%. (Spare tire removed)

5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    swong46 and ronfrohock like this.
  6. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    swong46 and paulchua like this.
  7. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Thanks guys! It's a good thing I did this project...Other than cool new suspension bits, I found a disconnected hose to two check valve looking things tucked under the body work; right of the plenum hose. First time in these cars so I didn't know how much power it should have. But it ran fine before and still does now but it's so much quicker!

Allen S. and paulchua like this.
  8. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Jeka and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    amazing. you are a credit to the Mondial community. Keep up the great work. A question, did you remove any emissions equipment from the car for more HP? Your car qualifies for Historical Vehicle plates btw. It's been over 2 years, and my car now does not require smog (even though they are supposed to) - plus my registration is no only $100. - I can take out the cats from my car now if I so choose. (sorry greenies, no intention to offend, I've done my part by recycling a car instead of buying a 'new' one) ;)

10. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Thank you, I love fabricating stuff is all! All my emissions crap is still on there. I'm getting a new exhaust system soon which has no cats. What documents did you prepare for the historic plates? Did you do it at the DMV or AAA? Did they give you much fuss saying that your Ferrari does not have historical value to qualify?

I would love to get those plates...

paulchua likes this.
  11. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #63 paulchua, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    Keep up the amazing work, awesome you are fabbing these yourself - awesome. The emissions stuff is very bad, you'll see significant gains just removing the stock EPA junk. I would argue a 20 HP boost. (and better sounds too)

As far as getting smog exemption and the plates - here's the skinny.

California is supposed to only exempt car 1975 and older. How does a Mondial get the exemption then? It is the luck of the draw. Some folks like myself seem to have received the 'classic' car exemption when it was processed in Sacramento, others -- not so lucky. The only way you know is if you wait for at least two registration cycles (since you're supposed to smog every other year). Suffice it to say. I was delighted to see that I did not get my smog request the second year of registration. That said, it's not a guarantee.

The plates themselves did save me quite a bit on registration, add yet another element of unique coolness factor (I've seen these plates perhaps five times in my life on the street)

To qualify for the plates your car has to be of unique historical significance. What did I write down and include when submitting my application? I mentioned it is the only car to have four seats, be mid-engined, and a convertible in the history of the automobile. I also stated that there are only 379 examples in the whole of the United States. If you have a Mondial 8, yours is even rarer with only 147 examples.

My gut tells me that the DMV clerk probably rubber stamps any 25 year old Ferrari, but I wrote the letter anyway.

View this thread about my process: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/anyone-familiar-with-ca-historic-plate-registration-process.547794/

It brings me great joy when folks like you are being a great steward of these cars.

alexion and StuR like this.
  12. Mechanical Dad

Mechanical Dad Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2016
    East Aurora NY
    Full Name:
    Josh
    One of the reasons a former owner of my car sold it was because it would no longer pass CA emissions I was told. Not sure how they got it to pass beforehand behind a factory euro model? I live in NY, so now that it's a "classic" , its exempt from everything here. Keep up the great work!

Sent from my SM-G930V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  13. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Yep, I have a "PA Antique Historic Vehicle" plate in Pennsylvania on my '85 Cab. Seems more appropriate for a Model T. heh No problem ordering the plate at the notary when I registered the car and paid the sales tax. Exempt from everything- no more registration fees, inspection, emissions check.

Il Steeg likes this.
  14. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You can pull the cats and all the EGR/emissions stuff in CA? On a post 1975 car?!

15. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    I've been trying to repair my clock but it just had so so many non functioning components on the main pcb. I thought this would be the perfect chance to design something cool and fun. I designed and built up a prototype with some help from coworkers.

It displays full date, time, and many inputs for engine data and etc. I haven't run any sensors yet but programmed in water temp, oil temp/pressure, and vacuum.

It has an internal battery so I can still disconnect the battery and keep time. It mounts and fits almost just like OEM. Has a single 5 button to adjust date/time. It's all still in the works but I am very excited for how it turned out.

16. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    Good to hear you do most of your work! I am the same and enjoy every minute of it. I did the timing belt change out, replaced the water pump, all the belts and all the hoses. Good luck.

17. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Nice clock man awesome job!

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    looks great, keep it up my man!

19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Only if you get lucky...some California historical plate cars get filed as non-exempt (they are not supposed to) I was one of the lucky ones!

shhhh

AUDIO RESEARCH likes this.
  20. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Shame on either the PO or the "well known" Philly Ferrari shop that replaced the leaking clutch slave but not the flex hose it's attached to!

Had to drive home without any clutch (luckily I had 3hrs of this same situational experience in an Alfa) because all the fluid leaked out of the extremely cracked flex hose. Waiting for a new one to arrive from AU to get my car back on the road.

The back end is up in the air so I replaced the fuel filter, accumulator and almost all the small hoses in the engine bay. Will do the injectors next.

Look at all those little hoses in the background!

21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    damn, sorry to hear about that, but kudos to you to keep working on it. Keep up the great work!!!

22. Allen S.

Allen S. Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Full Name:
    Allen / AKA tCoupe
    I was looking out for you in Monterey last weekend. Now I know why I didn't see your Mondial. Hope you are back in the seat soon.

paulchua likes this.
  23. swong46

swong46 Karting

Jun 24, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeaaa, I'm almost back in action!

Tried getting this hose made locally but got nowhere. Had to order from Australia but the rubber hose feels really low quality... Even from factory this hose is too short, bend radii are way too tight and chafes against the firewall but oh wells.

Hoping to increase longevity, sleeved it with fiberglass silicone insulation then sealed with self fusing silicone tape and adhesive heatshrink.

paulchua, Allen S. and Mark C Harvey like this.