World Cup | Page 2 | FerrariChat

World Cup

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jcosta79, Jun 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    Germany played as if they were overserved at the local Vodka bar last night. Mexico blitzed the German midfield several times in the first half, and had several man advantages- better play in the final 3rd. could have put the game away earlier.

2. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Yea that was textbook counterattack football. A thing of beauty... After attending a number of USA v Mexico matches and seeing the way we're treated when playing at Azteca I never thought I'd root for Mexico, but they're my guys this year. If they keep playing like that they might have a shot.

nsxrebel likes this.
  3. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  4. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I agree. Even the first 2 minutes looked like Mexico was the more alert team. One team was ready that day. I don't think Germany will make that mistake again

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Japan and Senegal with nice wins. That's a tough group for sure.

6. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Before the tournament started, I asked my friend, Luca Fornetti of Shopping Formula 1 in Maranello, who his pick would be. He said Croatia without hesitation. Lookin' good so far, Luca!

Mang likes this.
  7. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Wow, nail biter Germany Sweden

Kai

8. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Wow.... Sweden gave Germany a scare. Great goal to win it though.

I think Sweden has to beat Mexico now to advance.... it's nervous time.

nsxrebel likes this.
  9. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Good action today.

10. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sweden was robbed of a penalty kick. Great game though.

Mang likes this.
  11. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I remember tn World Cup's past where there were a ton of "easy games" for top teams. Amazingly, that rarely seems to be the case this year - every game is a dog fight, the outcome of which remains uncertain until the absolute last kick of the ball.

Mex-Swe Ger-Kor still have everything to play for. There are scenarios which can send each team through to the next round. Some outcomes are more probable than others, of course, but it's more exciting knowing that everyone in the group is still in it heading into the final match.

nsxrebel, davem and Mang like this.
  12. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    This cup my favorite - ever. So much quality from so many nations. Pick a winner?? Yeah right. Momentum, luck, goalkeeping, heroics - gonna win it. Wish my Ferrari chat brethren (at least the USA folks were more into the sport); but that’s already established, I know. The puzzie act is a bit annoying, I agree, but these are the sports stars of these nations going head to head, nothing in sports compares by a long shot.

This generation is different. They are me me me and haircuts are important now. Lol.

For example - Tony Kroos is larger than life around the world today with yesterday’s heroic free kick goal. These guys are on another level of famous when they do that at this tournament.

Ok haters pile on now...

nsxrebel likes this.
  13. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Agree, before today’s England game there haven’t really been any blow outs.

Kai

14. Kaivball

Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Football (the real version) is the most popular sport in the world.

The only event that has years of worldwide qualifying and then the tournament.

IMHO, the only sport that can truly crown the winner “world champions”.

Kai

Mang likes this.
  15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    def lots of upsets so far in this World Cup and i'm loving it.

rdefabri and davem like this.
  16. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    The cameramen are doing phonemenal work at finding babes of all variety during breaks in the action too :D

Regarding the overacting and drama - if you’ve played you know that contact - shin to shin or some pretty freakin monstrous athletes kicking your ankle or an elbow to the head region, etc...initially there IS a fair amount of pain. The difference between a broken leg and an almost broken leg from contact occurs regularly - the almost variety. And blows (elbows, forearms) to the head can mean teeth knocked out, or cuts, concussions, etc. so they over react, shed a tear, confirm they aren’t serious injured and get on with it, all in a matter of a few seconds. The guys who leave in stretchers, some are really done. You know when you are really hurt, strain or tear or break. I played, had six surgeries. So it is a painful sport at this level, full speed, fit athletes, 100% all out for country...very intense.

I just needed to defend the players. If you saw Japan vs. Senegal you saw very brave smaller to a man Japanese players take a physical licking and keep playing at top level. African nation athletes, big fast powerful...puzzies, lol.

rdefabri and davem like this.
  17. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    6 of today's 12 goals were scored in or after the last minute of the half, during added time. It makes for exciting matches, but it's also rather unprecedented. I went back and checked all the matches, and it turns out that of the 96 goals scored so far, an astonishing 19 (or 20%) have been scored in the last minute of the half, plus added time. This is either the World Cup of Choke, the World Cup of Clutch, or the World Cup of MatchFix.

18. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    ^^ The final round in Group B was an emotional roller coaster because of this. The Spanish fans were all in tears right up until the last minute or so. I was really pulling for Iran and Morocco but that was a bit much to ask. They laid it all on the line and put on a great show however, which I guess is what sports is all about.

19. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    It’s the lack of concentration that occurs with every team in these minutes. As a coach I used to freak out at my teams/players for lack of focus until the final whistle. Goals scored in these moments are opportunistic and back breaking when u give them up. But they are fairly common. Agree though, this tournament these last moment goals are on a crazy new level and adding excitement to these games. Just finished watching the Argentina - Nigeria. Wow, serious nail biter. I’m happy the Argentina fans get to continue to support their nation in the tournament and whacky Maradona too!

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Argentina goes through with one victory -- LAME!

Then they break out in tears. SUPER LAME!

Mang likes this.
  21. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  22. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
  23. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
    Argentina have got France next. Should be a great game. Knockout round 1 for France and 2 for Argentina really. Hard to pick a winner in any of the upcoming games now.

24. nsxrebel

nsxrebel Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Mang likes this.
  25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Germany -- FAIL!!!!!!! Wow like the biggest FAIL of all time! They could have lost all three games they played. Sweden nearly lost to them.

Mexico-- out of gas. If Germany was that bad they can't really celebrate their great victory. KOREA did beat Germany in a knock out match for heaven's sakes.