V-22 Osprey above Manhatten | FerrariChat

V-22 Osprey above Manhatten

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by mdoc3, Jun 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    This week, I spent a few days on a business trip to NY, CT an DE (back in Europe now, still feel the jet lag writing these lines in the middle of the night).

On Friday, we found some time for sightseeing in Manhatten. I noticed two tiltrotor military aircrafts, to my best guess V-22 Ospreys, hovering above the Hudson River, flying north and reverting south a few minutes later. Very impressive piece of engineering worth the cost of a 250 GTO each. The scenery reminded me of one of these Hollywood blockbusters where the Air Force is send in to restore public order after some apocalyptical event happened...

I spent an exchange year in the USA in 1993-94, it has been 21 years since I last visited the USA in 1997, the twin towers still were there but I have never seen such heavy military equipment flying above a densely populated area. Is this a common sight in NY and the US and what is the idea of such an activity (to show presence after 911?)

Martin
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    There are military training routes all over the United States, some of them are flown heavily and some are rarely used. For instance back when I was regular USAF I used to fly over GTHill's house (see pics in Missile Silo thread) multiple times a week as it was on the busy training route. Other training routes are rarely used for a variety of reasons. Military pilots need to fly regularly to keep proficient and depending on the location of their base, the aircraft/mission and other factors there are plenty of places where military aircraft are a regular sight. Generally training flights are not near heavily populated areas as there are always people who complain about noise (whether military or civilian aircraft) however it's not uncommon either. Just for practical purposes most military pilots would rather avoid flying down the Hudson as the airspace is heavily congested and it's easier for all involved to steer clear of places like NYC. Having said that it is excellent proficiency training to fly in those areas, particularly in an aircraft like the Osprey which would be used heavy in a natural disaster or other emergency. Traffic flow is crazy in those sort of situations and pilots need to be exposed to that sort of thing to remain fully proficient.

There are all kind of reasons I could imagine they could be flying a two ship down the Hudson. As mentioned it could be (likely is) a regular training flight. I imagine there were a number of aspects of that flight which made it interesting, with their rotors tilted up they are flying helicopter speeds and altitudes as a formation. Any time you have a formation of aircraft flying through airspace like that it can get real complicated. Though it's challenging those sort of flights can be really awesome as well. How many people get a chance to fly low down the Hudson getting to see all the sights? People pay for that sort of thing.

Could have been a bunch of other things.... Maybe a photo shoot, maybe supporting some other military unit in their training, maybe airlifting some sort of special cargo. Hard to say, there are tons of military aircraft flying everyday for all kinds of purposes. I would be shocked if it were any sort show of presence as nobody really cares or has time for that sort of thing. There have been been plenty of times and places where that is used but here in the US the most you will see is flyovers of ball games and I would argue that's more of a recruiting thing than anything.

Jaguar36, 375+ and mdoc3 like this.
  3. mdoc3

mdoc3 Karting
    Owner

Jun 12, 2014
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Very interesting, thank you for this comprehensive reply Mark!

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    In many cases, controlled airspace is layered in altitudes, so you may be able to fly under (or over) what is very congested and heavily controlled airspace. Some restricted airspace is surface to unlimited, so you need to have permission to be there.

5. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    This guy did a touch and go at Ocracoke Island when I was visiting a few weeks back... Most definitely a training mission albeit a long way from NYC
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Ospreys appear to be near the altitude over the Hudson normally reserved for sightseeing and traffic-reporting aircraft and helicopters, as well as first-responder aircraft. This airspace is very tightly controlled, especially after a mid-air some years ago between a sightseeing helicopter and a Cherokee that was crossing the area at the wrong altitude.

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Heard/saw my first one a few days ago in the San Juan Islands (WA)..... Totally unique audio compared to the Beavers & Otters flying over all day long.......Sounded like 2 really loud choppers......

8. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    We had them out here recently. Very cool to see. There's an Army/Air National Guard Base just south of the city and then an Air Force Base about an hour away. The south western part of the state apparently bears a resemblance to Afghanistan, so a lot of training goes on which is what I assume is the reason for the visit.

Because of the bases, we see military air traffic pretty frequently. In fact, landing at the city airport you can see a long row of A-10s parked. When I see them it means I have returned home.

9. tejasemser

tejasemser Rookie

Jul 1, 2015
    Back in the early 90's, and based at Fort Campbell, KY, I was supporting military training exercises in the North East and flying out of Quonset Point NAS, RI, and from there was to fly to Oceana NAS, VA, for more of the same. Rather than fly direct we scooted down the East coast ... to include an over-flight of New York City. There are several 'helicopter' routes in the NYC area to support tourism and private aviation transportation needs. The Hudson is one such route. It was easy to stay below controlled airspace by adhering to the required altitudes. Circled the Statue of Liberty a couple of times, got some pictures, gave the tourists a chance to take pic's of us ... not many MH-47's in that neck of the woods ... and proceeded on to Oceana. Good flight and I've never forgotten it.

Though changed, these routes still exist in some fashion. The airspace may be structured differently, communication's more difficult, and the routes altered in some way ... but they are still there to fly. America remains the best country in the world to enjoy the freedom of private flight.

Bisonte likes this.