Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s | Page 38 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 488 Compared to the McLaren 720s

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by racerdj, Mar 9, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    In a buying choice between the 570S and the 488- no contest for me. The 488 is simply more alive, compelling and engaging. I cannot think of a single parameter of performance where the 570S is preferable. The 488 is the more stunning car and its interior, while still lacking in some areas, decidedly looks and feels more expensive.

The 720S and the 488 on the other hand, presents a real contest where personal preferences, priorities and intangibles enter into the equation.

2. jyupitt

jyupitt Karting

Jul 14, 2015
    Nyc/Nj
    That’s good to hear. I know someone who has their 720s engine replaced twice. I hope mclaren will improve and I will certainly look at the brand again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just an FYI, it's really not a Nissan design. They bought a design for a Nissan race car and completely redid it. If I recall correctly, the only thing left of the engine by the time it was in a McLaren was the bore or stroke or something like that. The engine is nothing alike, and that makes sense being that the Nissan engine was from like the 90s. The development was done by McLaren and Ricardo.

4. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    When I was last in the McLaren dealership test driving a 720s(very impressive in most respects but the exterior design) my wife was chatting with one of the service people. She asked how reliable they are and the service technician stated”well it’s a British car”
    When asked to elaborate he repeated the same words and added”expect most repairs to take weeks since the part supply is slow and limited”
    That was the end of that.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Everyone compares the 720s to the 488. Might want to rethink this. Just go back 8 to 9 years when the 458 came out and McLaren had the MP4 12C. However it felt short which is why they revamped and came out with the 650s and Ferrari's answer was the 488. Therefore if you guys want to compare the 488 its in line with the 650s NOT 720s.

458 to MP4 12C
    488 to 650s
    ____ to 720s

Ferrari's 488 replacement will be 720s direct competitor. Comparing the 720s to 488 is like comparing 488 to MP4 12C. Mclaren jumped the gun during the years which is why their MP4 12C owners got pissed with them.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  7. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  8. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  9. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    #941 TheDiffuser, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    Hey SoCal, I just wondered what you thought of the 720S as far as any comparison goes to the 488.

I'm trying to see which car is better. I'm sort of in the market for either, although I have to sell my Kia Rio first. It has 85,000 miles on it and I bought it as it was in the top 10 cheapest cars for sale in 2017. Like it a lot but need a bit more power.

I also don't like the small rubbery grommets in the Kia and I believe the 720S has better quality grommets-do you know if this is the case at all?

Anyhoo back to the 720S and 488. Would you say the Pista COULD be a better comparison to the 720S? BTW do I have to write the 'S' in the 720S or can I just put '720.' (Without the "' '" of course).

So I've asked the nearest McClaren dealer for a trade in price on my Kia for the 720S (I'll use the 'S' for now until I hear back from you). They said they'll give me $2000 which is think is pretty good considering it has a small frontal ding from when I drove into a deer then veered off the road and hit a minivan carrying some Jewish dignitaries - although luckily everyone was ok (photo below - not of deer or Jewish dignitaries but if the car).

Also they said they'd give me a free tank of gas and a free McClaren hat.

I haven't approached the Ferrari dealer yet but will so anyway if you could let me know your thoughts and maybe some more of your gifs that'd be very decent of you.

Thanks

Rupert

PS The Kia has actually done 85, 749 miles now as I had a trip to the mountains just to give it a real good run as its due an oil change soon. I think the Ferrari oil is a lot more than Kia oil (although I use an unbranded oil in the Kia it saves a few bucks but hey what the heck I'll have to buy McLaren 720(S) or Ferrari 488 oil soon!

View attachment 2563225

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I find it hard to believe that A Mclaren dealer who sees that you are quite possibly a 720S purchaser, advises you that the car is unreliable and in the likely event the car needs service, it will take weeks. Really.

Gh21631 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    It wasn’t the dealer sales people it was the driver who picks up and delivers the cars for service
    My wife was just casually discussing life with him as he stood outside during his break. She can be quite disarming and gets people to talk about all kinds of stuff to a complete stranger.
    The car itself was fantastic but some parts are not readily available in the states and take sometimes weeks to get here. Other manufacturers from Europe have had similar issues but to a lesser extent

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    My 720S just went in for it’s first service appointment - the standard scheduled 1 year service. It’s been perfectly reliable for all 4,000+ miles it travelled within the year and still astonishes me every time I get behind the wheel! I could not recommend the 720S more highly.

06viper, jyupitt and SoCal to az like this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Mark, are you in NC? Where do you service your 720? My understanding is that a McLaren dealership is opening in Charlotte within the next 4 months.

14. MarkNC

MarkNC Formula Junior
    Owner

May 22, 2012
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I service through McLaren Philadelphia. Yes there’s a Charlotte dealer coming soon but I’ve worked with Philly for a long time and my cars would have to go on a truck either way so I’ll stick with Philly for now. The way McLaren is growing I suspect there could one day be a Raleigh store.

15. Ale55andr0

Ale55andr0 Karting

May 23, 2019

1.5s better than 720s here

16. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    Resurrected a 2 year old thread!!

Boomhauer likes this.