2021 F1 changes | Page 10 | FerrariChat

2021 F1 changes

Discussion in 'F1' started by intrepidcva11, Apr 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Lol, all the restrictions, grid penalties, then we have a token system, then we don't, then we have 5 engines a year, then 4, etc etc

That's convoluted. It used to be here are the specs the engine has to meet, show up and race. This isn't rocket science, bud. Pretty damning take from Ross Brawn himself here:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133083/brawn-outlines-plan-to-end-grid-penalty-farce

"The engine is an incredible demonstration of engineering competence, but it is not a great racing engine."

'Nuff said.

2. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Well...okay then. Something tells me that you’re not really done, though.

william likes this.
  3. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Just a quick clarification gents....they are doing away with the MGU-H ( heat/turbo) and not the MGU- K.

G. Pepper and william like this.
  4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I know that perfectly well...and I know the role that each of those devices play within the power unit. I simply picked the -K to make my point that it’s a complicated device that is fairly simple to understand. I.e., not convoluted.

Let’s be honest...PLENTY of fans don’t thoroughly understand the workings of a straight up internal combustion engine. But, as long as they make noise, they must be good. (cough)NASCAR(cough)

william likes this.
  5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Ross Brawn's opinion carries more weight than yours. Sorry ole chap

6. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I agree...and nothing to be sorry about...THIS time.

Feel free to disagree, but stop being disagreeable. I’m guessing you’re having a bad day.

william likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

What, every day ???

8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    It’s possible. I know people like that.

9. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #234 TifosiUSA, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    Ignore feature not working for you?

lol youre the best. youre mad now so I guess it's time to follow me around to every thread passive aggressively responding to my posts

10. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I like the idea of removing the fuel restrictions.

A pity we couldn't do NASCAR style gravity fed cans, this would open up more freedom.

The engines sound like they do in a large part from the fuel/air restriction.

Just removal of this alone would make a major improvement.

The fuel regulation bit is silly to tout given the way they fly the teams around on mammoth jets that eat more fuel in a short time span than the entire GP.

11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The point of fuel restriction was never to save fuel per say.

It was to encourage engine suppliers to build more fuel efficient power units.

F1 is a testbed from where any relevant technology is passed to the car industry.

12. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    F1 engine makers form cartel against 2021 rules

JULY 7, 2018

F1 manufacturers have thrown a spanner in the works of Liberty Media's engine rules for 2021.

Earlier, it seemed clear that the sport would drop the complex MGU-H element of the hybrid systems in order to bring down costs and make the engines simpler and louder.

In turn, this would entice carmakers like Porsche to enter.

But Blick newspaper reports that at a meeting to discuss those rules, Mercedes, Ferrari and Renault said they now definitely want to keep MGU-H.

"This would stop the only serious potential candidate, Porsche, from coming in the door," wrote veteran correspondent Roger Benoit.

Reportedly, the three existing manufacturers say removing MHU-H would require a redesign of the entire power unit that would be too expensive.

Auto Motor und Sport says the Mercedes-Ferrari-Renault alliance against the 2021 plans is effectively a 'cartel'.

"They are afraid to give up their position so that Porsche or another manufacturer can't just come in and beat them," a paddock source said.

Igor Ound and william like this.
  13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    They are Learning a hell of a lot developing and racing hybrid power units in F1.

That's all technology applicable in street cars of the future.

So no surprise they don't want to give up what is a fabulous test bed.

It's also the reason they invest so much in F1.

Porsche could perfectly join them if it wishes.

crinoid, classic308 and NEP like this.
  14. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I hate this formula but consider the tens(100's) of millions that the three manufacturers have invested in this technology. They don't want to give up their hard earned advantage and I don't blame them. Having said that these cars suck.

G. Pepper, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Honda should be pissed as well about dropping it after spending so much momey on it already and never getting the benefits.
    Just leave them as they are and Let Porsche go through the same pain as the others. Just free the development and drop the grid penalties.

G. Pepper, crinoid and william like this.
  16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The whole F1 sucks if you have been watching it for some time.
    I do since 1961, and it's a completey different ball game , but I am addicted to it.
    I think it's just hard to accept the passing of time, and the inevitable evolution that goes with it.

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 absolutely

18. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The only thing that limits development right now is the power unit allocations. The four power unit suppliers are developing and validating constantly. The designers and engineers are using CFD models constantly to test and develop new ideas that are validated during FP1...

It's different than it was twenty years ago, but there is a whole lot of development throughout the year. The FIA has to force a summer holiday because teams would work straight through if they could.

19. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    If you read abit more it details that they're doing that now is that the current manufacturers disliked Porche not being committed to actually entering and Aston same answer also. Plainly both shaping the new rules doesn't make sense when the new manufacturers are still not giving a firm answer.

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Anyone not in the game now or without a contractual commitment to come into F1 in should have zero input into the rules.

G. Pepper and Tifosi Ferrari like this.
  21. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    100% agree. Aston seem sketchy. Porsche was the only closest one and even then they are on the fence. If they can't say a firm yes and have firm obligations they are then what's the point. They're still debating but it's looking like the current rules are staying with major tweaks to regs.

22. itschris

itschris Formula 3

Sep 15, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Keep the PU as is but unlock the fuel flow and let them rev out to whatever they want...15 or 16k RPM would do a lot for the sound. Forget the 3 PU rule. Any money saved is only spent twofold or more trying to make the parts last.

william and 375+ like this.
  23. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    While I'm with many here in that I think the current PU's are too complex for no real fan benefit, I would like to comment on the 'sound' or 'noise' as the FIA is now trying to call it. While these PU's are relatively boring to listen to, in my opinion they are better than the last iteration of 2.4L V8's. Now hear me out before you grab the torches and pitchforks. I loved the old open 3.0L. I loved the 1.5 turbo's. I really really loved the sound of the various 3.5L NA engines, my favorite era of engines and sound. The issue is that over the years with the smaller and smaller NA engines the sound got increasingly unpleasant. I could happily listen to the howl of the old 3.5L engines all day. Then back to 3.0L V10's and V12's, again glorious. But those 2.4L V8's from 06-13 were horrible. They were uncomfortable to listen too, just painful. It was OK for a one or two lap demo, but 20 cars for two hours was horrible. While the current turbo's are uninspiring, you can at least sit though a full race without your ears bleeding. Yes, I'd rather drop or modify the MGU-H for more/better/louder 'sound', but even the current formula is better than those painful 2.4L V8's. ,

24. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    +1 Those were the days, gone but not forgotten.:)