TINTING | FerrariChat

TINTING

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MANDALAY, Jun 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Just curious as I have always tinted the windows of my family cars But has anyone tinted the windows of their Ferrari ? Or is it a no no.

2. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I went with a clear ceramic tint on the windshield and 40% on the side windows for heat reduction to help protect my interior and for some privacy.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Boomhauer and MANDALAY like this.
  3. Euroryno

Euroryno Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2015
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I was thinking the same for my blue Speciale before it landed. I’d even booked it in! Then I researched some threads on here and someone said something along the lines of “people tint their windows to make their car look cooler. Ferrari’s look cool already” Well, suffice to say the car landed and I thought I’ll give it a few weeks and then decided it wasn’t necessary.

I think it looks good on that black 458. Maybe it goes well on dark cars? Either way, they don’t need to look any ‘cooler’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Boomhauer, MANDALAY and Viperjoe like this.
  5. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Nooooooooo

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    +1. Also check your local laws. NY got really tough with tint film now. Won't pass inspection and cops will issue a ticket.

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Such a hassle in my country that I don't even bother. It doesn't take much for you to get stopped by the police in a Ferrari, so I guess I won't give them need an extra one.

Local laws and bureaucracy aside, I'm in strong favor of tinting windows. Adds to privacy and in terms of style, a nero on nero 458 or 488 with tinted black windows is awesome.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Boomhauer, Melvok and Viperjoe like this.
  8. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    If you want privacy, buy a minivan. Im just not personally a fan of tinted windows in these cars. Driving at night time is difficult. Mine was tinted when I bought it and I took the tint off. But there is no magic answer here, mostly personal preference.

Viperjoe likes this.
  9. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    I tint every car. 50% windshield, 25% sides. I have no desire for the sun to beat down and wear on the interior while driving.

MANDALAY likes this.
  10. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I wish it were legal in my state...

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I did almost the exact same on my Cali. If you live where it's hot, like it is here in Texas, I think it's a great idea, especially the clear ceramic on the windshield. They used Huper Optik on my windshield (2 years ago, so there may be a new state of the art material) and after a few days of annealing, I don't notice it. Tt really helps keep my F-car cool.

OP...If Australia is anything like the U.S., do a little Googling to find out max legal tinting limits in your area. Police in many places take this quite seriously as the rules are in place to make it safer for law enforcement approaching a vehicle at a traffic stop...T

MANDALAY likes this.
  12. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Depends on what you're looking to accomplish. I'm in Florida, tinting is almost required if you take it out of the garage as much as I do. I went with the factory heat insulated windscreen option, but had the dealer add the clear, but UV reducing tinting to the side and rear windows. My goal was to reduce cockpit heat, not improve privacy.

Jim

13. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had mine done on my 458 Spider. It is illegal in my state too and they are cracking down. I'll deal with it when that happens. I did it for looks and privacy. 35% ceramic tint. Who knows what is ceramic about it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY, TheDiffuser and Viperjoe like this.
  14. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Absolutely. I did my 458 and 488 for looks and privacy. Wouldn’t dream of doing without it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

MANDALAY and TheDiffuser like this.
  15. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron

Ceramic tints allow for more heat reduction even on lighter tints due to their ability to absorb heat as opposed to the old traditional tints

MANDALAY likes this.
  16. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Noooooo! That's No to the minivan idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    For California...
    The amount of light that can pass through your car windows is measured in percentages (called VLT), so make sure your tinting film is up to these standards! In California there is no difference in regulations for sedans, or SUVs and vans, so these laws are for all vehicles.
    • Windshield allows transparent strip on top 4 to 5 inches
    • Front side windows must pass through more than 70% of light inside your car (70% VLT)
    • Back side windows and rear window can have any darkness

18. Beemer

Beemer Karting

Apr 5, 2016
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    Full Name:
    Rick
  19. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    I tint primarily for heat rejection and UV protection. Ever wonder why old Ferrari's leather dashboards shrink and peel? The main reason is UV damage over the life of the car.

Get a top of the line tint like Spectra PhotoSync or 3M Crystalline. Put a clear or 70% film on the windshield, and whatever on the side windows. You'll notice a huge difference in the summer sun, and your skin and interior are pretty much fully protected from sun damage.

MANDALAY likes this.
  20. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Ive tinted all my cars dark for heat reason. They have always been illegal but have had the car dealer put it on and have always sold the car back to them.

With in legal requirements here the law states

In Victoria, VicRoads enforces a 30-35% VLT on all windows (this means 35% of light must come into your car through the glass) excluding the front windscreen which should not be tinted. Therefore, a window tinted below a VLT of 30% will render your vehicle unroadworthy.
    We cant put anything but a strip on the windscreen ( looks horrible )

So considering the 488 I wouldnt put illegal tint on.

Im wanting UV protection , the car and also us, me and the missus.

I started the thread to see if it was sacrilege putting tint on a Ferrari and I must say I don't ever recall ever seeing it over here.

21. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    If you don't like dark windows, you can still put a clear or near clear film on the window. If it's a film like 3M Crystalline, you will still get significant heat rejection, and 99.9% UV rejection.

A 90% film of 3M Crystalline will block more heat and UV than a 5% generic run of the mill film. This is proven through standardized testing, so not some marketing BS.

MANDALAY likes this.
  22. spyder625

spyder625 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2017
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike
  23. daveman10

daveman10 Rookie

Feb 6, 2015
    Has anyone had any issues tinting the engine cover? A lot of people I went to said that the heat coming from the engine will cause the tint to bubble regardless of quality of tint.

24. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I find that tinting windows is always a plus in my humble and biased opinion, but when we're talking about a car in Bianco or Nero, it looks just supreme. Those two colors are the ones that benefit the most in aesthetic terms from tinting, for my personal taste.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Viperjoe, MANDALAY, v35 and 1 other person like this.