Tehran Cafe Racers | Page 39 | FerrariChat

Tehran Cafe Racers

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by RHS, Aug 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

There were a number of Wood & Pickett Sheer Rovers. There was one black one with Wolf Wheels, complete wood trim, four headlights and from the sound, had obviously been enhanced. I had seen it both before and after the revolution and have tried to track it down in recent years to no avail. Could you have meant this one ?

2. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

One of the things I enjoy is checking up on restoration projects. As you have seen in this thread, despite unbelievable odds, our guys keep their cars on the road under sometimes daunting circumstances. You already saw in an earlier post the blood sweat and tears that went into the restoration of a Shelby Mustang and the celebration we had afterwards. These pictures of a Alfa Montreal being restored by my good friend Ali Nouri. He has dedicated at least five years to get this car back on the road. He is a technical genius and has his own factory manufacturing a multitude of goods and keeps this car in the back of his workshop were he woks on It during his spare time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

sammysaber likes this.
  3. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

A second gentleman is a gentleman by the name of Bemani whose passion is French cars. He is the go to man and has restored everything from Matra Simca Bagheera to Citroen SM. I had the opportunity to stop by his shop and see him put the engine of Citroen CX Prestige back together with an original DS waiting its turn.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
  5. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
  6. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,
    A 73 Camaro being put back together. This and the SL above are being worked on at the garage of Ali Kalhor who is both a mechanic and champion race and rally driver. He founded this garage with his late brother Bahman.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
  8. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
  9. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Could be....Sheer rovers were the vogue of RR back then...lol....

10. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Pun duly noted. Just wondering, would you by chance have any pictures of the car you are mentioning ? Or any other cars from the past you could share here ? If you remember, we had another friend who shared some pre-revolution (and post revolution) pictures of a Dino, Interceptor etc. By the way another shot of an RR in rally action.

Best Regards,

Ramin

sammysaber likes this.
  11. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I'll ask my father and for sure i have some in my childhood albums

Fyi 1st sheer rover in IR was my uncle's and first ever Cadillac my grandfather

12. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,
    Given your own taste in cars, good taste seems to run in the family. We have been working a number of years to document many of the 'special' cars that came into Iran prior to 79 before they are lost forever in time. Any inputs would be most welcome.

Best Regards,

Ramin

F12KID likes this.
  13. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    Thanks.

I'm going digging later this afternoon

14. sammysaber

sammysaber Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2011
    Thanks for bringing back some amazing memories Ramin Jan !

Best,
    Sammy

F12KID likes this.
  15. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for such a long hiatus, but things have been a bit a topsy turvy these days. However, with the end of Ramadan and the cooling down of the weather combined with the opening of the schools can only mean one thing: Its rally time !

We held our rally on the 26th through the 28th of September, 2018, with 65 cars. The rally was held by the Classic Vehicle Committee of the Motorcycle and Automobile Federation of Iran, the FIA ASN and FIVA AFN. We had two co-partners, the National Automobile Museum of Iran who has been working with us on a number of event and the Touring Club which provided two tow trucks in support. I hope to provide a blow by blow report with an emphasis on the fact that our guys are dealing with issues that would deter even the most hardened car guys. Here is the rally plate:

sammysaber and F12KID like this.
  16. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    The day before the rally. Getting the cars prepped. Though this picture may remind you of the Gumball Rally Jaguar, however this car ran beautifully throughout he whole rally.

17. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    sammysaber likes this.
  18. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    A beautiful 64 Corvette being readied. his car is one of the best restorations I have seen

Attached Files:

19. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
  20. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Rally numbers and road book is ready

Attached Files:

F12KID likes this.
  21. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    We had a group from the classic vehicle committee of Khorasan Razavi province chapter (Mashad) join the rally,. They shipped their cars by train. You can see Mr. Nasaj Karimi who heads the chapter and is also one of the scrutineers for the issuance of historical license plates for cars, a very well respected veteran of the classic vehicle scene, Kazem Zhian who is a leading expert for the Peykan vehicle (Hillman Hunter) , Hani Asadi deputy to Mr. Nasaj and a respected collector and restorer and Payam Tavasol, though not from Mashad, is the President of the VW Club of Iran.

sammysaber likes this.
  22. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Here is the starting gate he night before the rally. Will follow-up soon.

Regards,

Ramin

Attached Files:

23. F12KID

F12KID F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 27, 2013
    I want a plate!! Amazing...

sammysaber likes this.
  24. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Hi,
    Long Time no hear. Let me see if we have any left over.

Best Regards,

Ramin

F12KID likes this.
  25. RHS

RHS Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    All the cars were to arrive by 8am for an 9.30 start. The starting point was the Azadi Race circuit and the cars were lined up by their rally numbers. After arrival the cars received their numbers, plates and a quick driver briefing.

Here are some pictures from before the start of the rally.