British Motorcar Day | FerrariChat

British Motorcar Day

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Gatorrari, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    This year's British Motorcar Day, an event I last attended 10 years ago when it was held at Berry College in Rome, was held Sunday in Peachtree Corners, adjacent to the annual Peachtree Corners Festival.

Compared to 2008, attendance was definitely down, and certainly some categories of car were absent: none of the old, stately Rolls Royces, no Lotus Esprits, no Hillmans, Rovers or Daimlers, only one Jaguar XK120/140/150, very few Morgans, and only one motorcycle! The fall event in Norcross seems to do better.

Anyway, that one Jaguar XK was this nice XK120 roadster belonging to our man Ivan Ruiz. I didn't take a lot of photos, but I'm a sucker for Mini Mokes and 3-wheel Morgans; this 1932 example (from when "JAP" was not a dirty word) was parked next to a 2016 example which showed how much the car has (and hasn't) evolved.

The window sticker may have seemed appropriate, but it was on a Rolls Royce Silver Spur, not a car that I would expect that to happen much.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. DrinkMan

DrinkMan Rookie

Nov 14, 2014
    North GA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    We were there as well. Attendance was definitely down from the Roswell event. I hope Norcross in the fall has a good turn out. We were with the Triumph group and while the quantity was down, at least the quality was high despite not as much variety as previous years. This blue Spitfire was quite nice and a great color with the traditional houndstooth interior.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Dan Germouse

Dan Germouse Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    I am an owner of a classic British MotorCar and I work in PTC, I had not even heard that this was a thing !!

Which may help explain the low turnout :)

Where was the car show? I don't recognize the trees

4. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    http://www.atlantabritishmotorcarday.org/directions.html

FWIW, I didn't go either this year. The Roswell location was very nice when I went there in 2016.

5. F355Bvc

F355Bvc Formula 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Lawrenceville. GA
    Full Name:
    Vince Canipelli
    I had to miss it, under the weather !!!!!!!!

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The Silver Spur did not impress, since it came from an era when Rolls Royce styling was very ho-hum; if the car had had Buick badges on it, very few people would have noticed the difference. Interestingly, there were two Silver Spurs sandwiching a Bentley Mulsanne, which was substantially the same car.

7. minimn

minimn Karting

Jun 25, 2007
  8. Dan Germouse

Dan Germouse Rookie

Feb 21, 2011
    Yes, I knew of the Roswell show, and of the Norcross show in September, but my point was that I actually work in PTC and was unaware there would be a car show, despite being on their mailing list etc.

Next year, next year :)

9. DL4567

DL4567 Karting

Nov 25, 2004
    Atlanta
    I don't want to be unfair as I didn't attend the PTC show and have no idea how nice it was in person, but it seems that the spring British Motorcar Day has really fallen over time. First time I went was in 2002 at Chateau Elan, and it was awesome. Then it moved to Berry College in Rome, another scenic spot, but too far for me. Then 2 years ago the Roswell City Hall parking lot was pretty good but smaller than the previous shows (although the live jazz music made it feel super classy). But now they're piggy-backing on another "generic" show??? Really??? Seems like it's shrinking away over the years, which is a real shame.

10. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I agree, I loved the British Car Days at Chateau Elan. Those were the best. I never went to the Berry College event too far away for me. I love the Norcross event in the fall.