Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Damn - another obstacle on my way to 458 ownership - the 570S spyder

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by socalferrari, Jun 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Well said. That being the case - I am a passionate motoring enthusiast. I’ve never owned either brand. But whichever one I buy in the next 7-10 days I plan to keep for quite a while. Which is the very reason I ask for personal opinions from current or former owners. What are the pitfalls of each vehicle? Ultimately I will make the choice - but subjective opinions never hurt in decision making. Everyone’s two cents should and does count for something.

Thx.

2. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    u wont be missing out on any mclaren price wise, they are getting incredibly cheap used especially those that's coming out of warranty. You dodged a bullet by not getting a 570s several years ago. Even the supposedly limited models like the LT doesnt really perform that stellar value wise. The 570s spider prob has way better tech and gadgets, and improved sound since you can now remove the roof.I thought those just came out , i am surprised it's priced lower already....there wont be a short supply of these cars in the future, 458 or 570s. Either one is great in its own ways it depends what you care about, doesnt hurt to swap one to the other after a few years and feel for yourself. The brand, the sound, the design, the value - 458. The performance, carbon chasis, showy doors, new kid on block - 570s.

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No.

I'm on my 3rd. No issues.

4. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Equally, and in opposite directions, you will be amazed by the performance and reliability of any McLaren.

5. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    If it's a weekend car or not, it's not really a contest. From a purely visceral viewpoint, Ferrari is the real thing, classic, timeless beauty. Ask yourself, how many McLarens look good 5 years out compared to the newer model. In fact, it doesn't even take that long. The moment a new model is out, the old one looks long in the tooth and stodgy, unlike Ferrari which maintains its classic good looks throughoout its lifetime. Ask yourself, how many classic McLarens are fetching fantastic prices 30, 40, 50 years later. There are many reasons for this. And when you are 90, looking back at your life, do you want to say that you owned and drove a McLaren or a Ferrari? If your answer is McLaren, so be it, but if not, you know what you must do now.

6. grendel88

grendel88 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    My pros and cons about my 570S experience:

1. Car looks much better in person and grows on you the more you see it.
    2. BW stereo was nice, but electronics slow and glitchy.
    3. Seats are very firm, like better for track than everyday.
    4. Steering feedback was the best.
    5. Only way to limit turbo lag is to turn off all of the traction controls.
    6. Not the most fun for backroads under 50 MPH.
    7. You can hear the aero if you roll down the windows and move at speed.
    8. The butterfly doors got annoying to me.

Got rid of the 570S after one year. Want a 458 as they continue to drop in price now. Going to wait for the right spec at the right dealer.

socalferrari likes this.
  7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This makes no sense whatsoever but if this is how you choose which car you want then good for you

8. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    If that makes no sense to you, perhaps you are on the wrong forum.

dustman likes this.
  9. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Hopefully you realize youre on a Ferrari forum, its like asking do you like Jack at an AA meeting lol

570s is a superb car, as is the 458 (I've owned both, 458 coupe and spider). Personally I prefer the 570s but you go with what you like. All these exotics have their share of issues and I could write a book on each.

Gh21631 likes this.
  10. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    Thanks frefan. What was it about the 570S that you liked more than both the 458 Italia coupe or Spider?

frefan likes this.
  11. socalferrari

socalferrari Rookie

Feb 28, 2017
    Orange County, CA, USA
    So grendel88 - were the negatives annoying enough that you got rid of the car?

I agree the car looks better in person.
    Not sure how the doors will grow on me the 100th time I open them.

12. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    wait, isn't 570s like a iphone 6 in Mclaren's world?

13. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Not really, the 570S is one of the current "Sport Series" models.

14. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    My point was that once you get your Mclaren, next new car is already announced and coming in 2 years, just like a iphone. I was told the life cycle of 720s was meant to be around only 2-3 years by Mclaren dealership GM...In fact, this was the main reason I did not pull the trigger on 720s. So I am not too sure about buying a Mclaren after all, although I really like them.

To the OP, I think someone said it right on the spot... There probably would not be a right price for a 570s. Without really being in the market for one, I don't what the price looks like, but I would not be surprised at all that it will drop much faster and deeper than you think. I guess you really should ask the same question to the Mclaren forum, if you have not done so yet.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East

This was the case with the 12c and the 650 but McLaren has changed this rollout methodology. Replacement for the 720 will be about 5 years. Pricing has been increased on 720s. Young company sorting out some things so they aren't perfect. Go to a dealer that has a clue and you will get better info.

16. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    This post is better.

17. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Buy 570S for performance that you can objectively measure, buy 458 for the things that it subjectively makes you feel.

sfcorsa1, socalferrari, v35 and 2 others like this.
  18. 'Trust'

'Trust' Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 31, 2012
    I think the 570S is a mechanical marvel as far as performance goes. However, I can't help thinking "wife's car" everytime I see one. For that reason alone, I couldn't do it. Sound and appeal to the 458 all day long.

19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Man- I test drove a 570. Capable car. Fast car. But good lord the turbo lag was terrible. I couldn’t get one over a 458

socalferrari likes this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Turbo lag can be smoothed out a bit with a tune which many are doing to these cars + you can easily get another 100HP to the wheels which is a big advantage of Turbos. Like I said earlier if you want performance the Mac wins all day long but the 458 is one of the most beautiful looking and sounding cars ever built. I felt this way the first time I saw and until now - timeless design.

socalferrari likes this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    How is it that tuners could do a better job than the McLaren engineering team? In addition with so few dealers in the entire country, what about warranty issues from a bad tune? Seems to me the 458 wins on this point regardless.

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Pretty much everthing except sound. Better ergonomics, power, safety, handling (esp against 458 spider), looks (albeit subjective, I took them both to car shows and you can judge by crowd size. Its simply more exotic looking). PAINT of 458 was horrible (mine was black). McLaren have some of the best paint in the business. 570s is just a great car, as is the 458. I would choose 458 if 570s didnt exist, it was the best car IMO until 570s came out.

23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Same reason you can get a better exhaust, headers, more power, better finish on buttons than the factory from Ferrari.

In this case the car that wins is the one he prefers not you or me.

24. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Nope, not even close to the same thing here.

Sorry, no, on this point, the 458 wins because it doesn't have turbos and thus any associated turbo lag.

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    these are the 2 cars i would have to choose between too. comparing both spiders versions the 458 has the sound and motor hands down. mac has the warranty and is new. deciding factor to me would be the doors on the mac. i really dont like them so i would go with 458 assuming i could find the one i want