Phantom For Sale | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Phantom For Sale

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by NaO, May 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    Me too. I was scared white by the sound!

ralfabco likes this.
  2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That's...a lot of gas!!! Sheesh...

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    kevfla likes this.
  4. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    The F-14 Tomcat probably set the record for the largest number of patches made, but they obviously learned that from the Phantom boys!

ralfabco likes this.
  5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I remember seeing the f4 at various airshows when she was still in service. That plane was the loudest thing I ever heard next to the British Tornado.

The thing seems to rip the air behined it. Such a cool aircraft. However, from what I have heard..they were a bit of a pig to fly.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I remember a quote from an F-4 pilot back in my teens "The F-4 is proof that with enough thrust you can make a brick fly!!"

7. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember in 1990 when the Russians were here and one of their pilots was given a chance to fly an F-4. His comment, " Fly like milk truck!"

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The F-4 was actually a lot of fun to fly and just about the last fighter where you could really feel the air loads on the controls as you moved them. Everything later had more computers between you and the stick, so you felt the response, but not the actual air loads. The F-4 was very responsive, with a lot of rudder authority. Rudder rolls were actually smoother than aileron rolls and she was easy to loop and perform other aerobatics. Back seater could not get the throttles into afterburner and that changed in the F-15B/D and F-16B/D.

9. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    You can't do it from the back in the Viper either...

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- Has been a while since I flew back there, so I guess I got it confused with the F-15D, where you definitely can use the burners in the back.

11. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    I don't know about the F-15, I've only flown that a few times, and only from the front where AB works for sure. The Viper wont cutoff or go into AB from the pit...to shut it down from the pit you have to break the wire on the shutoff selector and rotate it off. If you think about the mechanics of what it takes to have working AB/Shutoff detents in both the back and the front, it would be quite a monumental undertaking...

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Will- Affirmative, the F-15 was pretty analog compared to the F-16. Was still my favorite to fly of them all. Felt like an F-111 with all the mass removed. Much more sensitive on the controls.

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Interesting, no mention of being able to land/T.O. on a flat-top as an option :D

First thing that came to mind

14. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She would have fully navalized when new. Built before the AF versions (F-110A) saw the light of day and before McNamara and the Whiz Kids screwed up the aircraft numbering system. The Navy numbering system was actually pretty good. F4H-1 told you it was McDonnell's (H) 4th fighter design for the USN and that she was the first version built. Built way before McDonnell merged with Douglas in 1967.