Is passenger display worth it on Portofino | FerrariChat

Is passenger display worth it on Portofino

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by VHlambo580, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Hello - I am in the process of ordering a Portofino so putting together my spec list. The item I am seriously debating is the passenger display. Is it worth the 5900 USD? I almost feel that is a better option than Apple CarPlay, at least better resale but could be wrong. This will be my daily car so want to get it right. Also, sports exhaust pipes, does it change the sound of the car or just for looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tireman

Tireman Karting

Nov 13, 2011
    Canada
    Passenger display is useless ... and certainly not a good "investment"
    Sports exhaust pipes are for look only... they do look "sporty" but do not change the sound
    Cant speak to Apple Car play as I have not used it.

3. FerrariFreak7

FerrariFreak7 Rookie

Apr 13, 2018
    Got Apple CarPlay on my Cali T, you can use it for playing music (directly through spotify for example), or to check your texts/use the iphone 'maps' navigation.
    I can play spotify music through USB connection/bluetooth, and don't check my texts whilst driving, and don't use maps navigation.
    I find it useless and almost never use it - lots of used Cali Ts in the UK aren't optioned with it and even the dealers agree that it is more or less a waste of money.

The passenger display costs around ~£3000 here on a Portofino. I share my Cali T with family members and therefore passenger regularly in my own car and would love to have it in a Portofino. If you don't really care too much about your passengers then you could do without it.

Hope that helps x

flagger likes this.
  4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    For me personally I wouldn’t spec it but the younger generation might feel it’s a “must have”. To me the passenger display might just cause you some issues with the wife or significant other if they like to hover and monitor your speed. Less so if you got a buddy your taking for a spin.

If you listen to your radio a lot and use an Apple device it might be useful to you but general consensus is it certainly won’t add to the resale value of the car.

On the exaust if you prefer the look of the sport tips then check that box.

5. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    My feelings are this:

If you're older and married, I'd skip it.

If you're still in the game, I'd get it. Chicks will think it's a fun gadget and it will add to the charm of the car on dates.

As a youngish player myself, who's had nice cars before, I can tell you from experience that gadgets like these really do work on girls. A friend of mine has a Tesla and girls are constantly fiddling with that big center display. I was glad to see Ferrari offer it in the Portofino.

Zisky likes this.
  6. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    So funny, nope I’m middle aged and married with teen kids. My daughter is always messing with my radio so I figured I would now give her easy access with the passenger display.
    I can’t get myself to spend 4200 USD on Apple CarPlay.

7. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Great question.

If money is no option then I would definitely have it. However, I feel one would get over it very quickly.

8. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I went for the passenger display. It does not seem to offer any benefits, the infotainment system is right next to passenger and driver but in my opinion it is a fun option and fills a gap in the dashboard. It may help when reselling.

Apple CarPlay seemed like a total waste of money. The Lusso uses the same system and I had a complete demo of the standard system and Apple CarPlay. I was able to stream music and Spotify over Bluetooth and the maps on the Sat Nav seemed OK. You can activate Siri from the steering wheel too. CarPlay offered the advantages of WhatsApp and text messaging, but this seemed a distraction that was more likely to help cause an accident.

Sports pipes add ridges to the inside of the exhaust tips, which look more aggressive that the standard smooth tips. I’ve gone for the black exhaust as I thinks it blend in with the rear bumper.

9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    If Apple would enable Waze on CarPlay, it would be a must-have option. Otherwise, I was not impressed with it on the Maserati loaner the dealer gave me for a week last year.

I wouldn't spend the money on the passenger display, as I would never be in that seat ; )

10. clockem

clockem Formula 3

May 18, 2009
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Test drove the car this weekend. The passenger display is not worth it as the large screen is right next to the passenger display. When I order mine that is one option I would pass on and go for the Hifi system. Hifi is much better than in the California.

uhn2000 and mjk33062 like this.
  11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Shotgun is correct, us middle aged, married guys don't need it. My wife already assumes I'm always speeding, so no reason to make it is easier for her to confirm!
    T

12. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Wish I had back the money for passenger display.

Glad I still have the money for not getting CarPlay

Sport pipes just depends on look and color of spec. For sound, get a valve opener like a Capristo with remote.

uhn2000 and tomc like this.
  13. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. I will not be adding the passenger display or Apple CarPlay. Going for the black ceramic pipes for sport exhaust. I will post my spec once I am done. Thanks again.

Andial and MelbourneCarl like this.
  14. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    Apple just updated CarPlay as it supporting third party navigation apps

15. JJ97

JJ97 Karting

Apr 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Joe Nocera
    Oh man! I was totally ready to pass on CarPlay. This might change it.

16. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    With third party Maps app,Carplay definitely worth it

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I assume this includes Waze? Google Maps?
    Thanks.
    T

18. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    Beginning this Autumn with the launch of iOS 12, Apple has announced that it will allow navigation apps to work with CarPlay, such as Google Maps and Waze.

Apple didn't actually say when (or even if) Google Maps and Waze would be available with CarPlay but I’m sure they eventually will work.

19. LittleLittleTiger

Jun 11, 2018
    UK
    Yes

20. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    I still wouldn’t do it. I hear the new Ferrari Navi is not pretty decent. Keeping CarPlay out but I did decide to upgrade HIFI and add passenger display. I have a teenager who likes to play with my music, it’s irritating, but decided not to fight it.

21. VHlambo580

VHlambo580 Karting

Dec 4, 2017
    Sorry, I meant Ferrari Navi IS pretty decent.

22. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I passed on Apple Car Play and the passenger display for more carbon fiber and Hi Fi inside instead. Best , Kirk.

phanliu likes this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What would CarPlay give me that I can't get from firing up Waze on my iPhone?
    T

24. GlowRed

GlowRed Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    West Midlands, UK
    I'm with you guys.

I've not spec'ed CarPlay. I tried the navigation system in a GTC4Lusso, which is the same as the Porto, and it looked pretty good to me. I was able to stream music including Spotify using Bluetooth, Siri worked using a button on the steering wheel and if on a few occasions I needed a different map app I will just use my iPhone or iPad.

25. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Skip the Car Play and the Passenger Display in the Portofino. The display is smaller in size than in the Lusso and does not even look attractive. Save your $$ for some other options.