Will RB switch to Honda? | FerrariChat

Will RB switch to Honda?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Jun 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

Will RB switch to Honda from Renault power?

Poll closed Sep 18, 2018.
  1. Yes. The need to break away from the others

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. No. Honda is too risky

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Hell no. They can't be that crazy

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Hell yes. Honda will deliver a 1st rate PU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Money talks! Take it and run!

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. PU Changes are coming. The field will be level. Short term loss, long term gain

12 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    They have to make a decision pretty soon. So, will they ditch Renault and take a Honda deal?

2. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I said yes, because I think the atmosphere between Abiteboul (Renault) and Marko (RB) has reached boiling point, according to the French press.
    Already a sore in Renault's side 2 years ago (the PU were rebadged TAG HEUER then), criticisms have piled up on Abiteboul's doorstep about his inaptitude to deliver the power needed.
    The marriage Toro Rosso- Honda was a toe in the water, and Red Bull may be about to switch completely to the Japanese side.
    I don't think Renault will be sorry to see red Bull go.

But then again, I may be all wrong !!!

3. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

They have nothing to lose. RedBull will not win the title with the current PU

4. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    They certainly will.

5. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    yep. RedBull and Renault have had friction over the years.

Honda with Toro Rosso was a "field testing" exercise for RedBull....so far, Honda has proven, reliability wise, that it was not Honda's fault during the Mclaren years(okay maybe the first two years was Honda).

This year, Honda is focusing on the performance side of its PU...even though they still bring more engines just in case they need to swap out and send back to Japan for inspection and at any cost. Honda is committed.

6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Yes. Would have happened years ago if Mclaren’s veto coupled to their crappy chassis, insufficient cooling and constant blame games didn’t hamper Honda’s progress.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    As long as Honda gives developmental control to RB they will succeed - IMO
    Honda's inhouse program has failed they need to fund and brand and leave the rest to RB

8. SWB

SWB Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2006
    Toronto & Ottawa
    Full Name:
    Seth
    It' a gamble worth taking for RB. All that Honda yen on the table won't hurt either. Extra cash keeps the sugar drinks peddler interested in F1 until the engine is a world beater. Easy scapegoat for RB if things go kablooey though.

9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I have no doubt that Honda is offering big $$$$ to Red Bull to make the switch. Therefore, Renault would have to offer similar $$$$ to Red Bull to stay with them. But, because they have their own team, the powers that be within the Renault works team would scream bloody murder about paying another team to compete against them.

They go with Honda.

BTW, it's growing increasingly clear that the problems at McLaren were just as much the chassis as the engine. Look at where McLaren stands vs. the Renault factory team and Red Bull this season.

F2003-GA likes this.
  10. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
  11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    This.

12. V12 Speciale

V12 Speciale Formula Junior

May 22, 2017
    anyone saying, "RedBull has nothing to lose by going with Honda as they won't win a WCC with Renault" should talk to McLaren. You have A LOT to lose if the Honda engine goes south.....like a whole lotta points......and Sponsors.......and drivers.........and engineers/key people.

Just imagine if McLaren had stuck with McLaren Mercedes for 2015-2017. No WDC/WCC BUT I would bet podiums and maybe even a few race wins that Red Bull picked up when Ferrari/Mercedes screw up. I don't blame Ron Dennis for wanting to make McLaren a stand alone Works team.....I would have done the same thing

now, Torro Rosso had nothing to lose by going with Honda and I applaud their discussion. Their Renault/chassis combo wasn't getting them anywhere. It was well worth the risk to become a first time ever WORKS TEAM(thats huge) and possibly gain an edge.

Robb likes this.
  13. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    If I was RB I would not be interested in how much they would offer. RB is rich anyway. What RB lacks is a partner that can bring them an engine that can bring them the world title.
    My question to Honda would be how much they want to keep on spending on development and how committed they will be after 2021.

14. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It’s a choice between a mediocre engine..... and a mediocre engine.

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Very difficult decision. Honda a worse engine and less reliable. But Renault doesn't appear to be going forwards much.

375+ and F2003-GA like this.
  16. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Looks to be yet another nasty divorce in this hybrid era. Honda divorced Mclaren, Renault marry's Mclaren. RedBull might divorce Renault, and marry's Honda.

Man, Renault and Honda really get around!!!! :D

stavura and subirg like this.
  17. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    It’s F1. Everyone jumps into bed with anyone if they have enough money. Just look at Williams!

vinuneuro likes this.
  18. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do not forget that for many years, McLaren was considered as Mercedes works team, the German holding 40% of the shares
    The launch of the road car business alongside the racing team didn't please Mercedes.

Mercedes went on to disinvest from McLaren and switch its support to Brawn.

What followed brought years of misery with Honda, and Ron Dennis' sacking.

19. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There are mediocre engines you have to pay for,

and,

there are mediocre engines that come with money attached.

It's the same with drivers, really ...

subirg likes this.
  20. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Honda improvement worth three tenths says Marko

JUNE 12, 2018

Red Bull looks to be speeding towards a switch to works Honda power for 2019.

We already revealed that the team is planning an announcement for its home race in Austria, and Auto Bild now claims it will probably be a switch from Renault to Honda engines.

Red Bull apparently made the decision in Montreal, after analysing the difference between new specifications brought by both Renault and Honda.

It is believed Honda's improvement, installed in the Toro Rosso cars, impressed Red Bull.

"We're talking about three tenths a lap," said Red Bull's Helmut Marko.

21. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    can anyone explain the difference in engine architecture between the honda and the other engines? i sat at the hairpin at montreal an the honda engine sounds like a bucket of bolts. as if its miss firing and ready to fail.

22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Was it slowing down when you heard this or speeding up out of the hairpin when you heard this?

23. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Is this the switch (or potential of) partly why Ricci hasn't decided on where to go next year? ie if RB signs w Honda he skedaddles?

or

he's bent on leaving RB either way as soon as something opens up at Ferrari or Mercedes?

24. Hollywood-GP

Hollywood-GP Karting

Jun 15, 2015
    The Honda PU might be improved but its still a ways off for being competitive.