Mercedes F1 | FerrariChat

Mercedes F1

Discussion in 'F1' started by NEP, Jun 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Canada defeat means consequences says Wolff

JUNE 11, 2018

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Start, Canadian GP 2018

Toto Wolff says there will be "consequences" following Mercedes' clear defeat in Montreal.

With a fresh engine spec, Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel dominated in Canada, therefore re-taking the championship lead by a single point.

"We came to Montreal thinking our car would be strong," Mercedes boss Wolff said.

"Now we are going home with the realisation that Ferrari had the better car. In qualifying and the race.

"We need to wake up now. Consequences are necessary, but they are discussed internally," he told ORF television.

Team chairman Niki Lauda confirmed: "Ferrari had the better car, the better engine and the better fuel consumption. They overtook us in the areas we were ahead.

"Now something has to happen in every area.

"We were number 1 in fuel consumption, and now Ferrari and Renault can do better than us," Lauda added.

However, the F1 legend said there is hope for Paul Ricard in two weeks.

"Then we'll get our new engine. That should help us," Lauda said.

World champion Lewis Hamilton, who lost his title lead in Montreal, commented: "Ferrari has the most consistent car. And Red Bull is equal to us now."

2. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    With an old engine Bottas was very close to Vettel.

It's lewis that didn't perform. Shameful comments from Toto. all about the golden boy.

stavura and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  3. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    stavura, crinoid and Igor Ound like this.
  4. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Mercedes to consider team orders after Monza

AUGUST 28, 2018

Toto Wolff says Mercedes may soon need to consider imposing 'team orders'.

Lewis Hamilton is still leading the world championship, but the Mercedes driver ended the weekend at Spa wondering if Ferrari has a "trick" engine.

Wolff played that down, saying he has "complete trust" in the FIA to enforce the technical rules.

But it now seems clear that Ferrari's is obviously the faster, with Sebastian Vettel having won the Belgian GP and closed the gap to 17 points.

So it could be that Valtteri Bottas is asked to step in and support Hamilton's quest for the championship.

"I absolutely don't like it and it completely contradicts my racing instincts," team boss Wolff said.

"We have always tried to stay neutral and have an equal approach to the drivers," he added. "We have never discussed or used team orders.

"But we'll see how everything turns out in Monza and then decide whether to concentrate on one driver. But at the moment we haven't interfered in the fight between our drivers on the track," Wolff said.

As for whether Mercedes now needs to add some "tricks" to its own 2018 engine, he answered: "We are not doing tricks, we are innovating.

"I think at Spa we made a significant step forward and we will continue to do that. This will be a development race that determines whether we win or lose the championship," Wolff admitted.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  5. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    LOL

Team orders already applied and executed, Toto:D:D:D

Jeronimo GTO, stavura and NEP like this.
  6. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    For the last 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

And not at Ferrari ???

8. Tifosi Ferrari

Tifosi Ferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2017
    It's just a friendly jab to them of fans stating of them not doing it. Ofcourse every team does it.

9. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    Difference: Ferrari never tried to convince all the world that they do not have team orders...Toto did although nobody apart from a few hard-core fanboys believe him..

And what about "tricks" ? One time they say it is not negative and then they say "we don't do tricks" like it is. They never get their stories straight at the first time, they always have to twist it...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

10. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Toto is full BS stating that there are no team orders. It is a clearly known fact that Bottas was recruited as and will always be the number 2 driver to do whatever is required to assist Hamilton win.

And before any smart comments, Ferrari has had, currently has and will always have team orders. Commentary about Ferrari team orders is not needed. Kimi knew when he originally signed and if he is in the Scuderia in 2019 which in my view he will be he knows his role is to support Seb to win the WDC as he is currently doing. I just hope lady luck decides to shine on him to the end of the year so as he can finish races and gain much needed points for WCC.

11. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Peter, you are right, when it comes to Mercedes they innovate as they have done for the past 5 years. Ferrari does tricks when they overtake them. Poor form from the Mercedes camp, they should just accept that Ferrari has closed the gap and is slowly passing them. I wonder if they would use the same choice of words if Red Bull were the ones who were starting to overtake them ... I don't think so.

stavura and NEP like this.
  12. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Yeah no team orders except when you clearly hear Merc telling Bottas not to race Lewis @ Germany :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"With so much at stake, and after the misfortune of recent weeks, we took the call to tell Valtteri to hold position; it would have been the same if the cars had been the other way round, too, because we needed to protect the one-two and avoid losing one or both cars." <== Toto

stavura, Bas and NEP like this.
  13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Bingo.

classic308 likes this.
  14. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hope FIA starts pouring over the MB cars like they have over SF’s cars. Very interested in that flexing rear wing-Charlie wake up!!!!

stavura and Bas like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Or with the red bulls in the past. Oh, flexi wing? Well here's some extra weights....Still passing eh? Well here's some more weights. STILL PASSING? Well I guess we'll put the weights in a different position...

16. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    lololo...pretty sure it was Erisson's fault...

17. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I disagree that Ferrari has closed the gap and is slowly passing them. Ferrari has passed them and have created a gap with their spec 3 engine. While I felt Ferrari had a slight advantage earlier in the season due to its tire efficiency, that has changed to a clear advantage with a stronger PU while maintaining its tire efficiency.

The comments from the Merc camp are curious on multiple levels.

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Team orders makes sense. Toto should just suck it up and admit that in the midst of a real battle for the title, there is no space to be cute with driver internal battles.

I think we all know they need to scrap for any LH advantage they can. Ferrari should be leading the championship currently.

19. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Mercedes wheel hole controversy not dead yet

OCTOBER 30, 2018

The issue of Mercedes' controversial wheel rim 'holes' is not dead yet.

Lewis Hamilton may have won the drivers' crown, but Ferrari is still pushing to win the lucrative constructors' world championship.

And the Italian team is determined that Mercedes' wheels are not legal.

The Italian press agrees.

"I would like an investigation into the wheels," pundit Leo Turrini said.

Umberto Zapelloni, the correspondent for La Gazzetta dello Sport, added: "I do not think Mercedes won the championship because of the holes, but what happened first in Austin and then in Mexico does require clarification."

What happened at those races is that a surge in form for Mercedes suddenly vanished.

Ferrari team boss Maurizio Arrivabene said: "I do not want to talk about it.

"I know the holes were closed in Austin and also Mexico, but I leave the explanation up to others.

"We must focus on our work and making every effort to win the constructors' championship," he added.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting said the governing body has declared Mercedes' wheel solution legal, but acknowledged the need for a different approach in the future.

"Mercedes knew that Ferrari did not agree with our interpretation, and since there was some antagonism between those teams this year, Ferrari did not rule out a protest," he said.

Whiting said he suspects the protest would have failed, but he wants to clarify the situation in Brazil next weekend anyway.

"Before the grand prix in Brazil there will be a meeting of the technical working group and we will try to work out a rule that addresses the problem of cooling whilst taking into account any aerodynamic side effects," he said.

"None of this is new, because as we all know, the air that passes through the brakes ducts is not used just for cooling. But in this situation, one of the teams just wants to get a more precise explanation," added Whiting.

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Whiting essentially telling is all he is favouring Mercedes again - what a shock? No. Cheating isn’t supposed to be rewarded Charlie. Maybe ferrari should Take off the extra sensors the fia made them run, as even if we were cheating, it’s fine apparently. Rerun the races or exclude Mercedes results from Monza on, see how Mercedes like that. I suppose Elton’s fans won’t like it, but fair is fair, cheating isn’t allowed and that’s what Mercedes have done

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/155307/mercedes-explains-f1-power-unit-changes

Mercedes has explained the changes it has made to its Formula 1 engine to address reliability concerns it had ahead of the new season.

The German car manufacturer's engine chief Hywel Thomas caused some intrigue recently when he suggested that Mercedes was battling some 'issues' with its 2021 engine prior to the start of testing.

Speaking now after the team revealed its new W12, he has detailed exactly what the team has done to make progress.

"We've completed some work on improving the reliability of the PU," he said.

"In 2020, we used an aluminium structure which wasn't as reliable as intended, so we've introduced a new alloy for the engine block.

"We've also made some adjustments to the Energy Recovery System, to make it more resilient.

"We've got a big challenge in 2021 with 23 races on the calendar, we will need to ensure that the reliability of the power unit is spot on. We've worked hard on that area and hopefully it's paid off."

One of the major changes that Mercedes has made is in revamping the design of its MGU-K, after feeling that the concept it used last year was not ideal.

"We introduced a complete redesign in 2020, a very different MGU-K to what we had run previously," added Thomas.

"It helped us make a solid step forwards in performance, but it was a design that turned out to be difficult to manufacture and assemble consistently.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

"We had lots of examples where the MGU-K ran a full cycle and did exactly what we wanted it to do, but we also had some cases of midlife failures. For 2021, we've gone back, looked at that design and built an understanding of where the failures have come from.

"We have changed it for this year, to allow for a more consistent manufacturing route which should help to improve the reliability of the MGU-K."

Thomas also says that the revamped power unit for 2021 features a number of new ideas that he hopes will deliver a step forward in performance.

"We've got some completely new innovations that will be in the racing PU for the first time," he said.

"That was particularly challenging because last season finished late, so the winter period has been shorter than normal and has given us less time to prepare, which put extra strain on the business."

He added: "We've continued our quest for better thermal efficiency in the internal combustion engine. Most of the developments can be found in the core of the power unit, with a desire for maximum output from the combustion process.

"Hand in hand with that, we've introduced changes to the turbocharger to minimise the impact on the heat rejection. Those are probably the most striking when it comes to crank power and the performance of the power unit."

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    #23 crinoid, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    I’m ready for another boring yawn inducing season that I won’t watch or attend or spend ANY money on.

PS: Screw Allison...

PPS: The car looks dumb

Bas likes this.
  23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Every time I see Allison the word « traitor « comes to my mind immediately.

crinoid likes this.
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Absolutely.