Track rod ends | FerrariChat

Track rod ends

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Jun 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Dear all,

I’m going to exchange the tie rod ends on my 1980 400i. Can someone here confirm that part #101155 and part # 101159 are really the same part but one with left hand threads and the other with right hand threads?

The reason for asking is that I bought a full set of brand new ball joints many years ago and so far I have only exchanged the ball joints in the suspension a few years ago. Now the rubber cover has dried up in the ones in the steering and since I have new ones I want to mount them. However my NOS parts have no parts number on them except that they are marked “left” and “right”. I do know they are right for the actual car.

-And oddly I found 3 “left” and 3 “right” rod ends in the bag but I think I only need 4. One “left” and one “right” on each side as marked with red in the picture. Right?

If I look at pictures from Ferrari parts suppliers on the part numbers per above they show slightly different designs but on my car the 4 old ones look identical. I suspect that only the thread is different.

The ball joints in the link between the wheels have no separate part number in the manual so my guess was that those are not changeable separate but the entire rod will have to be exchanged. Is that correct? Marked with yellow in the picture.

Kind regards.

//Rob
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. rovexienus

rovexienus Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2010
    Sainte Colombe, France (near Lyon)
    Full Name:
    Jean-Michel Savary
    sebackman likes this.
  3. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Hi rovexienus,

Thank you for the links. I did see them but they do not really shed any light. On the Pictures from Superformance they look different but mine seem to be identical on the car.

Oh well, I will just have to take it apart and see if they fit. I need to fit new shock bushings anyway.

Kind regards
    //Rob

4. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    if you have been supplied 3 “left” and 3 “right” rod ends then they are probably Daytona or previous.

5. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Oh. Ok. How do I find out?

I can post some pictures with measures here towards the weekend and maybe someone can help.

6. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Daytona, 275, 330's etc etc are 16 x 1.5 thread
    400 is different but I do not have those details at hand