Maserati Khamsin | Page 290 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. achimguenther1

Nov 6, 2011
    Germany, Baunatal
    Full Name:
    Achim Günther
    Hello,
    Update Khamsin 1160:
    After assembly and one year of optimisation, my Khamsin project is finished: My first big journey from Germany to Italy was successful: I drove 2500 Km without any problems. We acompanied the starters of the Mille Miglia from Lago di Garda to Maritima Milano and saw the start of the second day.
    It was big fun to drive my Khamsin on Italian roads, partly rather fast.
    see pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hello Achim and many congratulations!

it is wonderful to see a K saved and restored by an enthusiast for himself, done properly. Very satisfying contrary to cars restored for speculation.

Hard to beleive it was 13 years ago in 2005 when I was contaced by Matthew from the small town of McHenry in Illinois. Here are his words to me back them:

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, IL and on a Sunday morning I found this 1977 Khamsin Vin number 1160. I knew it was a must have and made an offer so after a year of waiting I paid $6.000 US dollars for the car.

It has 21,000 miles on the odometer, even has the original window sticker and all original parts.

The rebuild will start in the first part of 2005, I can't wait to drive her!

Matt."

End of quote.

The car was sitting in a little gas station garage and was owned by someone who had abandoned it, it was beliveed that drugs had been hidden in the cylinders. The owner disappeared, and so the garage claimed ownership which is how Matt came to own it and why it took so long to acquire it.

Sadly it was clear in conversations with him that he neither had the means nor the expertise to carry out the work and in such cases, as with unreasonable price expectations the only solution is to let time do its work and reason come to the surface. Finally in 2010 he told me he was ready to sell at which point I arranged its purchase by Ivan in Georgia who posts often here. Ivan then sold it to Achim.

It needed everything but as Achim is a highly qualified engineer he got it done.
    Here are some of the "before" photos from 2005 and 2010, the last one on the way to the harbor and Germany.

If I recall correctly the car was originally white but always looks great in dark blue, a great color choice.

Enjoy it as you already did last week in Italy:)

Best regards,

Marc

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Congratulations Achim... Sehr gut gemacht !!!

Mike

4. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello Marc

the only other K in Black with black interior and corresponding mileage I have in my files belonged to a Mr Michael Davidson of Long Beach CA, but I had no pictures of it so far, only a phone number.

Best regards,

Roger

5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery

Hello Roger,

Thanks, what chassis number do you have for it?

Are you referring now to posts about this car?

https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1977-maserati-khamsin-c-8720.htm

There is something very dodgy about it, chassis plate in engine bay missing, chassis number on chassis itself ground off, small tin plate in windshield looks wrong, they say no number on the clutch bellhousing...and they say it is 1184...which was dismantled and scrapped years ago in the northeast...but the people at the dealership are just shrugging it off and in their emails to me they say they are ordering a new title...?!

I have my theory but won't write it publically.

Is anyone in Los Angeles able to go have a look? if so many thanks please contact me before you go.

Best regards,

Marc

6. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    Hello jippiejake
    Hello Marc

Yes, I was referring to the car at BHCC,
    the info I had is from the net, it said 1975 Khamsin with 32'000 miles, contact mail [email protected] and phone at (562) 988-9353,
    unfortunately I haven't saved the source, and sorry, no Chassis number either

But jippiejake, you should be fairly close by to investigate ?

Roger

7. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Roger, Mike (Jippiejake),

Yes Mike just offered to go take a look, the only days I can be there late in the day (9 hour difference) on the phone while you are with the car are Monday and Friday, traveling to the south of France the other days...for a Maserati test drive photo shoot article:) Not a K so off topic here.

As mentioned a couple of posts above I have major misgivings about what BHCC are saying about the car but they have been very candid...

If Mike has time to head there we shall see...

M

8. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi all,

So Mike Jippiejake went to see the car at the Beverly Hills Car club dealership yesterday (thanks again Mike) and as they themselves had told me the chassis number has been ground off the chassis itself there are plates misisng...I am traveling but in a couple of days I will send the photos he took to Maserati Classiche so we will see what they have to say but very obviously buyer beware.

Roger great find, I will look in my UK car list to see if light blue one has been misisng for ages.

Best regards,

Marc

10. jippiejake

jippiejake Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2012
    Venice Beach
    Full Name:
    Mike Kerns
    Here is the picture of the stamped VIN on the chassis.
    Looks funny.. Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello all,

it looks to me like someone had ground out the VIN. If also the Typ plates in the engine bay are missing, then the car certainly has an interesting history in the past. I think it would be interesting to see the engine number, which could help to identify the car.
    I suspect that at that time nobody would have bothered to destroy the engine number too.

The best way to photograph the engine number is with a mobile phone in which you put your hand in here :

Best regards

Zdenek :)

12. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Simply look behind just about any interior panel, the last 4 digits of the serial number are written on the back.

13. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob

Well not necessarily, some of mine do not match but it was within the last three.

14. Jeremy Wilson

Jeremy Wilson Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    Could someone with a right hand drive Khamsin please send me a photo of the bonnet safety catch? I would like to see which way round it goes.
    Thanks
    Jeremy

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    In other words you’re car’s a bitzr!

16. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They all are!

17. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
    Hello Jeremy,

my English is not that good, I hope that's what you were looking for ;)

Best regards

Zdenek

18. Astonish78

Astonish78 Karting

Sep 11, 2014
  19. Jeremy Wilson

Jeremy Wilson Rookie

Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks Zdenek. I was checking which way round the safety catch that is attached to the top of the bonnet goes. It looks as though the handle points to the outside of the car.
    Jeremy

20. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
  21. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thanks for this info RGA... Does anyone know what looks like a grab handle in the passenger side engine compartment is?
    It looks like a grab handle! Never seen one of those before! Maybe it's there to prevent the engine hood from getting pushed down
    should someone sit (god forbid!) or place something heavy on the engine hood! Also, I hope they put the windshield wipers back on the car
    before they actually sell it! :)

Mike

22. dkbluec4

dkbluec4 Rookie

May 29, 2006
    Northampton UK
    Full Name:
    Neil Lefley
    Hello all,
    Does anyone have a source for the stainless trims around the rear side windows, both inside and out.
    Or any that I can borrow to copy.
    Thanks,
    Neil.

23. series1

series1 Karting

Apr 10, 2007
    Leamington Spa
    Full Name:
    Mark Butler
    Your more than welcome to come and have a look at the ones on my car. They’re not off the car, but you can measure, photograph take templates etc.

If you can get them off without damage, I’d be cool with that.

I’m at lemans classic this weekend, but PM me and we can arrange something.

Cheers

24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Mark,

I will be at LMC, arriving there late today and staying until Monday morning, PM sent with my cellphone/mobile number.

Who else is coming to Le Mans Classic?

One of my favorite events, can't wait:)

Next week I will tell the tale of a stolen Khamsin identified.

Best regards,

Marc

25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #7250 Nembo1777, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Hi all, in haste:

AM120182 seen today at Le Mans Classic looking very good, it has been discussed here before, owned by a major French car designer, nice to see a smooth nose. More photos when I have time next week, hope to see more K's here, haven't visited the French Maserati club enclosure yet and tomorrow Saturday is the peak day. The event has grown a lot since the last edition I attended, 2014, I missed 2016. This is THE biggest event anywhere in Europe, half of England and Germany are here plus people from all over Europe and some Americans, Japanese, South Americans.

Best regards,

Marc