Ferrari testarossa ignition ? Or tuning issue ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari testarossa ignition ? Or tuning issue ?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by leslie_choo, Apr 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    good to know now that the ignition is ok
    sad to see the lower compression on cyl. 9, but when you are just doing compression test then do it on all 12 cylinders.
    when you had a look inside the cylinder 9 did you see some "unusual" on the piston or at the valves? sometimes from the piston there is some broken above the top piston ring because of bad ignition ( knocking when less fuel or uncontrolled ignition ) I know it is hard to see because it is all oil around.
    25 % less compression is too much.
    so best would be: driving when it is not getting more white smoke and next time engine out service just remove the heads and may be complete rebuilding the engine. but it is very unusual with only 40.000 km such a compression problem :(

2. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    time for a leakdown test!

3. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Personally, I would be redoing the compression test on all cylinders with all plugs out of course. I just recently did this and my compression tester was not acting right a few times. Occasionally the pin that you push to relieve the pressure reading was sticking causing no reading or falsely showing basically no compression . I guess that low compression reading could be for worn rings, but Maybe a valve is not seating, in any case I would redo the compression test. The camera inspection tool in the cylinder will really only show you the top of the piston and it's condition, which I guess is ok. Do the compression test in those cylinders dry and then wet with some oil squirted in the cylinder . Just my two cents worth. I would exhaust the possibilities before any kind of tear down. I do like replacing the injectors as I did this recently and the car felt smoother and more responsive . I also thought my car was running rich, and the injector replacement probably got rid of a leaky injector. Replace the injectors and change the oil and Filter so that you are sure the oil is not contaminated with gas. You can certainly stick your face in the oil.?......Old school and smell it for gas....... Thanks Marko PS don't drink any beer before your are done with tests, but I would suggest listening to the Scorpions at high volume while working on the car in Romano's honor ! !!

4. leslie_choo

leslie_choo Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    we did further test and realized the fuel distributor had issues that’s why the cylinder 9 wasn’t working well but we can hear spark .

We use Mercedes W124 Bosch 0438 101012 fuel distributor as replacement and the CO levels are all good not more running rich ! Unfortunately there are stlll white smoke I think my guess probably right , fuel running too rich for too long that worn out piston ring ..

I have a question - can we replace testarossa fuel distributor to a Mercedes fuel distributor 0438 101012 ? It actually works in our test

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what is the bosch number from the fuel distributor from the ferrari?

6. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    It’s Bosch 0438 101024

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thank you for this number
    sent a mail to bosch about the difference between the 024 and the 012
    as soon as I know I will post here

8. leslie_choo

Aug 5, 2012
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    BCChoo
    Thank you very much Joe ! Really appreciate it

9. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    here is the answer from bosch classic: ( translated with google )

The two flow divider ( distributor ) have different pressure plate, further they differ minimally in the full load. Other differences were not determined further.

The two pressure plates are controlled differently by the control unit; therefore, the two flow divider are not compatible with each other.