Carrera GT | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Carrera GT

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Sterling Sackey, Jan 23, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Caption this one California Dreamin!

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    A true beauty! Thanks for sharing these great photos.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#179 Sterling Sackey, May 16, 2018
    Last edited: May 21, 2018
    A client's Basalt Black example picked up from servicing today. Basalt is a lovely color for the Carrera GT, and ultra rare. I find that in person, the metallic in this color is quite vibrant and takes on a blue-gray tone under light. Totally different look than the regular Black.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MTM, joe sackey and GuyIncognito like this.
  4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Guards Red in all its glory. Notice the lack of front fender markers on this European-spec car. This was a factory owned car judging by the typical Stuttgart-registered license plate.

NürScud and cgt000 like this.
  5. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

The wooden shift knob in the Carrera GT is a truly meaningful centerpiece, and something I'm always happy to see retained on '05 cars where carbon fiber became an option...

Made of lightweight stratified birch & ash, it harkens back to the wooden shift knobs of the 908 & 917 race cars (which were often made of laminated birch, but sometimes also made of balsa wood or whatever was lying around the shop!).

I think, beyond this, it reminds us that this is a car with an ethos born in simpler times, when a naturally-aspirated engine, manual transmission, and lack of driver aids was what made a sporting car great.

6. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Some find it hard to believe Porsche built a car like the CGT, but than what other company “gets it” like Porsche does? When it very strategically applied and developed the car’s special attributes, some a first in a road car, during the R&D process did they know what the result will be? The outcome is so unique that to this day and most likely will never be repeated again.

cgt000 likes this.
  7. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    When someone with a vast Ferrari collection which includes the big 5 tells you his favorite car in his collection is his CGT, then it must be something very special.

ok458 likes this.
  8. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    lovely calls but imo a complete ball ache to drive because of the clutch

9. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    The clutch is not difficult to master. Just different than other manual transmission cars. Unless you're racing the car on a track, a flappy paddle car is plain boring.

10. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    What exactly is hard about letting the clutch out slowly with no throttle till it's been fully released?

John B, Boomhauer and joe sackey like this.
  11. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Exactly. It's a bit mystifying, really. My client who has never driven a CGT in his life just took delivery of his and hasn't had a single problem.

The ceramic composite clutch on this car is part of what allows the lack of any flywheel-effect on the engine, and the lightning quick engine response as a result. Listen to any video of a CGT revving and you'll get what I mean, the engine simply jumps up in revs like nothing else with a manual transmission. The only trade-off is some care leaving from a stop, and I'll gladly take that trade!

cgt000 and Gmaccormack like this.
  12. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#188 Sterling Sackey, May 22, 2018
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    I've finally been delivered the full photos of the yellow car taken last week, wanted to share here. These were commissioned by and come via of my friends at LBI Limited in Philadelphia, who gave me the courtesy of first shot at this incredible example they located.

Without further ado, say hello to the 2005 Carrera GT #0580 in Fayence Yellow over Dark Grey photographed on the sunny beaches of Southern California...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

They say it's all in the details...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

15. 6Speed 430

6Speed 430 Karting

Jul 6, 2012
    Completely agree, idk why ppl make such a big deal about it and well worth the trade off. Only issue with it is it's a bit difficult on steep hills, as the car stalls out so easy and the clutch doesnt provide a ton of feel so its hard to quickly find that bite point while rolling backwards lol. The only other thing is, the clutch is just like an on/off switch when shifting between gears you gotta be really quick in depressing the pedal otherwise its a bit clunky.

ok458 and cgt000 like this.
  16. ByeEnzo

ByeEnzo Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2008
    Tejas
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo Bandini
    Some fun this weekend...

John B, Gmaccormack and cgt000 like this.
  17. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

PineChris and joe sackey like this.
  18. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    ^^ I love the red interior but I prefer GT Silver over this color.

19. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

There was a USA car ordered back in the day in GT Silver over LTS Flamenco Red. I'm sure it was beautiful, unfortunately pictures of the car online don't exist at this point.

20. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    Boomhauer and NürScud like this.
  21. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

#197 Sterling Sackey, Jun 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Yes, there are a number of Paint-to-Sample Carrera GTs. PTS colors recorded for the CGT include but are not limited to:

Carrara White, Polar Silver metallic, Gulf Blue, Citrus Yellow, Midnight Blue metallic, Signal Yellow, Navy Blue, Giallo Modena Yellow, Arancio Borelias Orange, Pure Orange, Rosso Scuderia Red, Sand White, Grand Prix White, Horizon Blue, Condor Yellow, Moonbeam Silver metallic, Cobalt Blue metallic, Dove Grey, & Nordic Gold.

Edit: Adding to the list, Fashion Gray, Stone Gray, & Man of Chile Grey.

GHG and cgt000 like this.
  22. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Fashion gray as well

23. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #199 tomc, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Cool. Is that the Addison Airport Tunnel?
    T
    Edit - aha. there's the sign! Very nice post.

24. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

GHG and Gmaccormack like this.