Ferrari 458/488/California gearbox reliability survey | FerrariChat

Ferrari 458/488/California gearbox reliability survey

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Redcarpet, Jun 4, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Many Ferrari 458/488/California/F12 owners are reporting gearbox issues or failures. Let's try to bring facts.

We strongly encourage you to answer this survey, even if you had no gearbox problem so we can evaluate a failure percentage.

PLEASE ANSWER ONLY ONCE, DO NOT ANSWER IF YOU DON'T OWN A CAR YOURSELF

https://goo.gl/forms/odbIuiYePKI1jF132

2. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    UP, please take 2mn to answer our survey.

3. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    Submitted (no transmission issues). Interested to see the results.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  4. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Thank you for your contribution
    14 hours after, we have now 25 participants. I would love to reach 100 to get a better market representation.
    I will keep you posted and share the complete report.

Folks, please continue to contribute.

5. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    If you don't mind me asking, who are "we"? I try not to click links. I've also not read of the "many" you refer to being a member of this board and particularly keen on reports of failures although I do not follow the California model very much. There were some reports of the very early 458s but don't believe F12 and 488 came up if at all. Heard more about the braking failures that seems to have spanned across the V8 series.

MalibuGuy likes this.
  6. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    Hi Solid State,

Your question is absolutely legitimate. We are a small group of F owners in Europe, mostly from Theferrarista french forum.
    Rumours has been spreading about multiple DCT gearbox failures and lack of gearbox reliability (some people claim >5% and 20k$ of repair cost), so I decided to run this survey to get a better understanding of the real situation. Hope it clarify this. Thank you to the 40 respondents.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Submitted. Likewise interested in results. 2011 Cali, closing in on 30,000 km, and - touch wood - no gearbox issues...T

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    An internet poll probably won’t provide an accurate reflection of DCT problems or reliability.

Ferrari has been using Getrag DCTs for the entire model range since introduced with the N.A. California.

Let’s put aside the early cars which had their predictable teething issues.

These have been sorted out.

Since 2009, if Ferrari has produced on average 6500 cars a year, then that would suggest there are roughly 50,000 Ferrari’s with DCTs.

That is the denominator if you wish to calculate accurate frequency rates for different failures.

Anyway what really pisses me off is that I was told there would be ‘No Math’ on FChat!

xfrgtr and Jaguar36 like this.
  9. Horst997tt

Horst997tt Karting

Jun 4, 2017
    I have my 488 for nearly 1.5 years , but no problem wie DCT. Same gearbox type (750) is
    used in AMG GT‘ s, my German AMG friends have also no problems

MalibuGuy likes this.
  10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    My 488 gearbox is perfectly fine - all spirited driving. And no offense but I don't provide my email to strangers on internet forum..

MalibuGuy and Napoli like this.
  11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Well, last year a pal of mine had a big problem with his 2010 458 DCT. One week after he bought it :eek:

He was Lucky that he bougt the 458 at our main F dealer with aditional 2 years warranty.

Box repair coted 6 weeks and (this time not for him) around K$20 in all …

That amount of $$ to be payed first by the dealer … he mentionned.

My friend is now a happy 458 cruiser …

But there are problems … for sure …

But many will not admit openly by the fear that people may say he cannot properly a Ferrari ...

12. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    are these problems documented on videos? are they drivability issues or out right malfunction where they cant drive? I have a 2010 and some things with the box seem odd to me but have not much else to compare to. Having driven many r8/huracan with DCT they are leaps and bounds smoother than the 458. Granted the 458 was years ahead of the germans in releasing the DCT box and shortly after the GTR. I am assuming the drivability issues can be chalked up to the TCU firmware. But im interested in hearing more from others?

13. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Buying used cars that are 8 years old with unknown service and driving history has its ups and downs

Was this the first DCT problem for the car in 8 years?

14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

Did you have a CDT failure?
    How many miles is on your DCT?

15. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
  16. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    This is certainly not a statistically correct way to conduct a study.
    And you claim to own a car but dont care to post your own mileage and DCT history.
    And who is the “We” in your first post .

And why ask for personal info.

Some transparency or honesty would be appreciated.

You can conduct polls here on FChat rather than divert to another place.

17. Redcarpet

Redcarpet Rookie

Aug 17, 2017
    #17 Redcarpet, Jun 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    Thank you for the statistic lesson, greatly appreciated, helpful and constructive for the community.

Regarding "we", take 1mn, I already answered, just scroll up.

Regarding my car, use the search feature and you will see that I already posted complete history and copy of the documents related to my gearbox failure. Oh, BTW, you answered my post on this with a nice comment: "This thread is such a salad of musings.".

At least, your behavior is consistent post after post. ;)

Melvok likes this.
  18. Ruffinit

Ruffinit Rookie

Dec 15, 2013
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Shir
    2011 458 9800miles no issues...

MalibuGuy likes this.
  19. ChrisPM

ChrisPM Karting

May 29, 2007
    2012 458 18000 miles, no issues whilst I've owned it (nothing in its history either).

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. alfran

alfran Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    I currently have a 488 spider and a 458 special. I have owned in total 3 458 and 2 488. I never had any gearbox problems

MalibuGuy likes this.
  21. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Car was then 6,5 years old, 2nd hand and had only 18.000 kms …. yes, first problem.

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Do we know if the car was tracked?

23. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    Did the survey.

2014 458 Spider, 13,900 miles daily driver, no issues.
    2018 488 Spider, 3800 miles, no issues.

Not questioning the accuracy of your "many.....owners...." statement, but I know a few dozen owners of the models you mentioned, some daily drivers, some not, don't know their mileage, but do know they have never had transmission problems.

Jim

MalibuGuy likes this.
  24. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I can skew the numbers for you by inputting data on cars that I have in the shop right now, but I can tell you that it will make it so that your survey reflects that the DCT is extremely reliable.... LMK, happy to help you get to 100 examples.

From this side of the desk ( Dealership Service Department ) I can confirm without hesitation, that there is absolutely no epidemic of DCT failures whatsoever

What I can also tell you is that over the past 7 years, there have been DCT malfunctions , that come in , with no rhyme or reason...
    daily drivers, track cars , weekend warriors, trailer queens... the corrections have mostly been replaceable internal components.. as I have written about in detail in multiple other threads.

Happy to share , not hiding a thing, here to help ...

LMK

S

25. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You may also wish to use F-chat as your database.
    Google "site:ferrarichat.com DCT failure"

I would also take the # of "hits" you find with a big grain of salt, however, as (a) stats will be skewed as people often come to the technical forums to find ideas, solutions or solace when their F-cars are sick, and (b) the numbers of these cars sold, which I believes is in the tens of thousands?

Anecdotally, I've never met another F-car owner with a DCT issue in 2+ years (crazy battery "issues" - you betcha!). On this forum, likely dozens of examples can be found of DCT issues.

T

xfrgtr, MalibuGuy and SAFE4NOW like this.