250 GTO #4153GT sold for $80 Million. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

250 GTO #4153GT sold for $80 Million.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by miurasv, May 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Last I heard Mr. MacNeil, the WeatherTech impresario, lived in Hinsdale, Illinois.

2. Bowzer

Bowzer Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2016
    MALTA
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Fox News reports $ 70,000,000 , who is correct ?

3. ursoenzo

ursoenzo Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2006
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Christian Rauch
    see post 19

Timmmmmmmmmmy likes this.
  4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    A little less than $70 mm

5. rjanot

rjanot Karting

May 5, 2009
    David Mc Neil joined the collectors owning both a Ferrari 250 GTO and an Aston Martin DB4 GT Zagato. He bought 0186/R at RM auction New York in 2015 for $14,3 mio. How many other collectors still own both these top classic cars ? I know Irvine Laidlaw is one of them.

6. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I am not aware of any others. Many collectors have large collections of Ferraris, many more have other Italian cars, only the mega collectors such as Ralph Lauren, Arturo Keller, John Mozart, Fred Simeone, Miles Collier, Chip Connor, Sam Mann and the McCaws have collections that are wide enough to encompass cars from different countries. Even then many of them collect a style or type of car such as 1930s or Sportscars..... The only one I know of (apart from the two you mentioned) is Tom Price who may own #0180/L, he does own 250TR #0754TR and 250GTO #4757GT, used to own GTO #3943GT.

7. rjanot

rjanot Karting

May 5, 2009
    Tom Price sold 0180/L a few years ago. Chip Connor also sold 0184/R.

8. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    How about Anthony Bamford?

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Bamford previously owned DB4 GT Zagato 0184.

Christian.Fr and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    David McNeil is a first class car Guy and seems just great in person. He's a huge supporter of the FCA, and of course his company was the lead sponsor of https://sportscarchampionship.imsa.com IMSA. Real car family in general, racer, and all around nice guy. We had an opportunity to sit with him and his son Cooper at a lunch in Elkhart Lake during a FCA event. I think he said his first love was Porsche, and he has a considerable P car collection. Also seems he got is first start in business with AMG. He is at almost all of the FCA national meets, and usually drives in the Coppa GT https://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/index.cfm/ID/112/CoppaGTOverview, and of course wins. I've seen him do it in his 288 and I think he did so in his 250SWB, Enzo, etc. Now Cooper, his son, is a chip off the old block and you can see him race on Sundays in IMSA and other pro races. That said, I hope we see David with the GTO at the FCA meet at Watkins Glen. I have not seen a "real" GTO at national in some time, at least I don't recall one showing recently. By the way ya'll, I don't think it is too late to sign up.

https://www.fca2018.org/index.cfm

Read this article, it tells you something about his life.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a14604/i-wanna-be-like-dave/

Marcel, you may find this of interest. Due to our attending the Car Guy Tour with Frank in 2017, I had a chance to meet Leonardo Fioravanti, the great designer who created the Daytona, the car we are honoring at the 2018 FCA meet. Of course he also did many other great Ferraris like the 308, 288, F40 etc. We have invited him to attend, but have not received a yes or no. He is 80 now, but very sharp, very spy for that age. It will be a chance of a lifetime to honor him so I hope it will happen. He is a living legend.....

375+ and Timmmmmmmmmmy like this.
  11. etienne

etienne F1 Veteran

Jan 21, 2006
    Ferrari World...
    Leonardo Fioravanti was present this weekend at the meeting "Ferrari against the cancer" at the circuit of Vigeant in France, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Daytona ...

Juan-Manuel Fantango likes this.
  12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    That is just awesome and gives me hope. Why not come to America, Ferrari's biggest market? As I recall, it seems he and his son liked to do track outings, and he said he has never been to Watkins Glen, but would like to go. I may have misunderstood, but I thought he had never been to the NY area or perhaps America which struck me as odd.

If anyone is personal friends with him, please you see him, please encourage him to visit. I do not mean to muddle or highjack this thread, as it is very important, after all, a GTO just set a record and is in beyond first class ownership. It will be used as intended. I'll start a new thread. Thank you for your input.

13. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Chip off the old block indeed; Cooper McNeil at Ferrari Challenge September 2017 promoting WeatherTech:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but is the 250 GTO that debuted at Sebring in 1962 (Hill/Gendebien) considered one of the top 3 or 4?

15. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #3387GT raced for two long years before the 1964 cars came along and while its not a bad example, has good race history etc. it was always rumoured to have been rebodied at some point in the 1970s/80s and while Marcel Massini has said that didn't happen, it can't help. I think its status is born out by the fact it took nearly a year to sell recently when most sell without instantly without fuss or fanfare.

16. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    3809 took at least 3 years to sell. Though good job for Ibing that it did due to the price rise in that time. See Marcel Massini post here: https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/145158441/

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    What? The most expensive Ferrari ever and it’s grey?

18. airspyder

airspyder Rookie

Sep 27, 2010
    Chicago, sometimes
    I believe the price to be close to $65 million.

19. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Do you think he will have his company make floor mats and trunk mats for these cars? Maybe he just needed a car so he could take proper measurements?

And no, I'm not being serious! :)

20. IXLR84FUN

IXLR84FUN Rookie

Apr 10, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Ralph Conner
    Seems the 250 Series is the series to start hoarding. It has to be from start to finish, the greatest series of Road and Race cars, and year by year takes it all in.

21. malcolmjl

malcolmjl Karting

Mar 27, 2014
    los angeles
    You joke but he likely will. There are weathertech mats for the rest of his collection so it wouldn't be surprising. Its more of a PR thing than something they're trying to profit from though.

22. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    BUT...... whose floor mats will he use for the car? ;)

23. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    NOW I saw the previous comments about the floor mats. Please disregard. :)

24. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Quite nice to see somebody make a simple but clearly very successful product, and get to buy a GTO.
    In your face Tech Nerds !

25. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Met him today at the local FCA meet, where he brought his Black LaFerrari Aperta. I introduced myself (the guy over there with the 308;)) and congratulated him on the acquisition, and we spoke for a few minutes. He was incredibly cordial, approachable, and (seemingly) sincere. Clearly a dyed-in-wool car nut. Surreally mentioned that he'd "just waived good bye" to the GTO on his way out of the garage this am with the LaFerrari, but said he hasn't fully gone through it for a full mechanical refresh until he finishes Monterey week (he's taking a bunch of other cars out there). Said he may not take the GTO to a lot of events and meets, but plans to drive the he'll out of it, and "take it for coffee and to the supermarket," without a hint or sarcasm.

Self-made innovator. Exactly the kind of guy I'd hope could get a GTO