Let's screw up everything! | FerrariChat

Let's screw up everything!

Discussion in '308/328' started by johnk..., May 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The recent discussion on reusing timing belts after only 450 miles got me thinking. The argument posted there was that once the belts are tensioned they can not be re-tensioned. But I seemed to remember when I bought my car new back in '85 I was to bring the car in for a free service at 1200 miles at which time they would go over everything and, adjust the tension on the timing belts is required. A little searching and I found the maintenance schedule in the coupon book. Take a look! "I" means Inspect; "A" means Adjust; "R" means Replace. Items marked with "*" are optional for cars used under extreme condition. Also note, for all you timing belt fans, the first timing belt replacement is listed at 52.5k miles, and nothing about tensioner bearings.

But the point is, if you can adjust the tension at 1.2k miles it would certainly seem acceptable to reuse a belt that has only 450 miles on it. Would I do it? I haven't had to make that decision.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    On the other hand, John, in the Owner's Manual of my (euro) 1989 328s (OM edition 513/88), in the servicing schedule, the timing belt replacement interval as stipulated by the factory is "every 24 months"...yes, every two years.
    But that's an aside.
    Rgds

3. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Let's not forget all the temperature variations these belts go through even if they do have very few miles. The belt can dry out over time. The peace of mind in changing the belts every five years is worth it, particularly for those of us who put miles on the car.

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    A Ha ! just kidding. interesting though. It obviously gets the slightest of set/stretch and they want it rechecked.

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think the real question here is what exact set of circumstances would lead you to the decision that you're not going to spend eighteen bucks for a new belt? Obviously you're not going in there to specifically change the belt, it's incidental. If it were $100 or $200 maybe you could convince yourself but for less than $20 why have the lingering question or even think about it? It's a classic "no-brainer"

thorn likes this.
  6. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    If the belts are old enough that someone is considering changing them, I would change them regardless of mileage. I had read years ago that cars that aren't driven that often have the belts sitting in the same position for long periods can lead to them eventually deforming over the years and compromising the belt's integrity. Whether or not that is accurate, I can't say for sure. I know on the other thread people are saying belts on VWs and other car get driven thousands of miles more and are often on for longer than they are on Ferraris. However, most people are driving those cars a lot. The belts don't sit in the same position for long periods.

Years ago I had a 944 Porsche. I remember bringing it in for service with a timing belt replacement at 60,000 miles. I mistakenly thought that mileage interval was the same as on 928s, but it wasn't. On the 944 it was supposed to be changed at 45,000 miles. I just happened to be lucky and not have a problem, but the service manager showed me teeth missing and the belt was clearly on its last leg.

I just so happened to see a 308 where someone screwed up a belt service and the engine was toast! Bent valves, a broken piston and chunks of metal in the engine (I'll try to find the photo). I would never want to risk seeing that happen to my own car. I'd rather have peace of mind and change the belts more frequently than necessary but YMMV.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Agreed that if you actually need to take the belts off the engine, just replace them. And frankly, I was surprised that Ferrari said to adjust them (if necessary) at the 1.2k check up. That would imply that either they don't trust the guys at the factory or that anytime you do a belt change you need to go back and check the tension after 1k miles or so. Who ever does that?

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I bet it was a 2 valve.

9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Dino944 likes this.
  10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Oh boy. Leave it to John to
    Start another timing (**** stirring) thread :D

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    That's what age and boredom will do to you. :(

Dave rocks likes this.
  12. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Actually so much of the engine was damaged that it became part of a glass top coffee table.

13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yea but you said they "screwed up" the belt change meaning that if they had left the old belts on this most likely wouldn't have happened.

14. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Actually it looks like we're turning this from a timing belt/tension thread to a sodium exhaust valve thread! :D

15. Dino944

Dino944 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2007
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    Dino
    The damage is the same whether the belt breaks or someone screws up the belt change and the belt comes off. The belt change was done by an inexperienced 308 owner. IMHO, I wouldn't risk leaving old belts on if that could be the end result.

16. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    thanks for screwing up everything.

17. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I thought it was becoming a "How to make a piston ash tray" thread. :)

But that typically only happens with 2 valve car. Not as much interference on a 4 valve and the skinny little valve stems are prone to bending. All other damage was minor. You can't even tell they tell they are bend just by looking. Need to spin them in a drill and see the heads wobble slightly.

Image Unavailable, Please Login