C-130 Crashes in Road in Georgia, USA | Page 3 | FerrariChat

C-130 Crashes in Road in Georgia, USA

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Jim, I agree with you. It is a case of proper and constant maintenance. Old airframes will hide problems.

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Jim- Those B models were real hot-rods without the external wing tanks and supposedly very tough according to the crew who told me all about her. During Desert Storm, I flew from Rhein-Main to Mildenhall on their B model on a trip from Taif to Lakenheath. The crew knew I was a fighter guy from my flight suit and brought me forward to see her holding 310 KTAS. Pretty impressive. They told me all kinds of war stories about the Bs. With shorter range, they were limited to inter-Europe sorties, while the Es and Hs made trips all the way to the Middle East. The Bs were a lot faster, though.

I guess those big tanks on the wings introduce loads the Bs did not see.

3. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

All fuel is in the wings, correct? Even on the B.
    No fuselage tank(s)?

4. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does anyone know how many of the planes that were in service in the mid 60s to early 70s are still in operation? My grandpa was a loadmaster on these during that time period and I'm curious if any of those might still be around.

5. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    T- Affirmative, multiple wing tanks with about 27,000 lbs in ones with external tanks. Surprisingly, less than my F-111s carried at 34,200 lbs of JP8.

Andrew- Not sure if any of the C-130Es are left in USAF, but there are certainly very old C-130s in foreign air forces and doing fire drops. At one point, the C-130Es were the only ones cleared to transport nuclear weapons in Europe, but that was quite a while ago in the 90s.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I believe the USAF has retired all its E's, but I can't speak for the ANG. And while all the A's were retired after that fire bomber in CA lost both its wings, there are some B's still in active service overseas.

7. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    All parts of the plane have been removed and all military and Leo personnel have left the area. Both sides of the road remain closed until Ga DOT can assess how much to replace from the fire and contamination.

8. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Saw this closeup of the impact site online the other day. Not pretty.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    So the funny thing about that is the wing tanks reduce wing box stress by changing the ARM..... At least that's what a bunch of engineers said they found when they looked at it a few years back. Back when I cared a little more about things that I had no control over I could have told you a bit more but now all I really remember is that it helps reduce wing up flexing.

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mark- I can see that with the structure reinforced to take the tank loads. Made it into two sections effectively. I believe you burned the fuel in those tanks first, like we did when carrying external tanks.

11. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah, the "common knowledge" is externals first then aux tanks as you would "lose" that gas if you have pump issues. Now it's actually a bit more complicated depending on what the mission profile is (weight, assault landings, etc) that drive some differences on how you burn gas (primary vs secondary fuel management) but I have forgotten all that stuff.

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Does the engineer take care of that, or do you no longer have FEs in the C-130?

13. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    On the older H model aircraft the engineer is responsible for running the fuel panel, on the newer J model the pilots are responsible. There are some special ops variants of the J model that have additional crew members who can run the fuel panel but I'm not all that familiar.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Saw a new message on the GA 511 website that GA-21 is now open for traffic again.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Yes the road opened yesterday and they are still reshaping the median.