Comparing the 458 Italia to the 360 Modena... | FerrariChat

Comparing the 458 Italia to the 360 Modena...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by davemqv, May 25, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hello to all of you in 458/488 Land!

General question for those of you who've owned both the 360 and the 458. What are the key differences in the cars that stand out to you from a driving/usability/maintenance perspective?

The 458 is generally represented as a magnificent beast way ahead of it's time, incredible on the track and just as pleasurable to drive in auto mode at 30mph around town.

The 360 generally seemed to get the same overall description when new, but obviously the 458 is 2 generations ahead of it, so I'm curious, in retrospect, what seems to set the two apart now.

Does the 360 still seem "daily drivable" when compared to the 458? Does it seem more visceral than it's more refined offspring?

The 360 Modena can be had for less than half the cost of a 458, but is it half the car? Or is it a greater dollar to dollar value (perhaps to be matched down the road as the 458 continues to depreciate)?

I'd appreciate the input from those who've had both (which seems to be a common progression). I can find many comparisons between the 430 and the 458, but not one that skips the generation and compares the 360 to the 458.

Gracias!

Edit: I've never had the chance to drive in a 360.

paulchua likes this.
  2. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had one of the few 2005 360 Spiders and I loved it. From that I moved to a 430 Spider and now currently have a 458 Spider. I have loved each of them for different reasons. The 360 was the most raw car of the 3 and when you compare it to a 458 there's not much that can be said. The shifts on the 360 are painfully slow compared to the 458. The acceleration, handling and luxury comforts are also no comparison. The 458 shifts so quick it's almost scary. They both sound great and both turn heads like crazy. There is also no comparison in the cost of maintenance. The 458 comes with 7 years of annuals included and even when you wind up paying for it the cost is about $900. The 360 maintenance costs are very well documented and as the car ages the costs will increase. The bottom line is that they are both great fun to drive and as always it comes down to $$.

davemqv likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 360 is daily drivable but its performance characteristics betray its age IMHO. Some may like the 5-valve engine, but to me it's just not powerful enough by modern standards.
    The 458 is very modern, not outdated at all - and the DCT is still a masterpiece.
    The 360 price has probably bottomed (or is close to have), so the 458 will depreciate more - although I believe it will always be more valued than a 360 (with the potential exception of manual 360 that may become sought after for their rarity), so buying a 458 now will cost more now and long term than a 360; but it's definitely worth it.

My opinions may be considered cautiously though since I never owned a 360 nor a 458, but I have considered and tested both (I went for Maranellos, 599 and eventually 488 instead).

davemqv likes this.
  4. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    My opinion (note I haven’t owned either but have probably put more miles on each than many owners have)

Does the 360 seem more visceral ? In stock form, definitely not, not at all. It doesn’t seem daily driveable compared to the 458 at all to me either.

I would also say the 458 is leaps and bounds better. Ferrari really moved the game on with the 458.

I have nothing against 360’s and do like them, but for me there is no comparison in terms of both usability, performance, being more visceral, maintenance wise etc.

Plus in stock form
    I think the 360 is waaaaay too quiet whereas a 458 sounds great out of the box

My 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davemqv likes this.
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks all. Keep 'em coming if there's more of you out there!

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #6 davemqv, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Interesting. I'm a newbie to these models, basically, so forgive my ignorance. Are you saying a 360 costs less to service than a 458, even out of warranty? Early 458's have already phased out of the warranty period, right? So paying 100% out of pocket, a 2010 458 Italia is cheaper to service than a 2002 360 Modena? If so, even at twice the purchase price it would seem the scales would tilt way toward saving a bit more and buying a 458, all other considerations aside, if only for the savings in keeping it in good shape over the long term.

I mostly bounce around in 308 world but have experiences with earlier cars, and the numbers I've heard quoted on Youtube owner video's (I know, I know...probably not the best resource) about 360 maintenance costs don't seem too crazy. But maybe I've been misinformed!

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have read about "shift lurch" in a 360, especially shifting up. And I've also read it basically went away entirely with the 458.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I went from a 360 to a 458 also. Unfortunately, I am very biased because I'm still in the honeymoon phase since I purchased only about 3 weeks ago.
    I can tell you that all of the comments above are accurate. Both cars are wonderful, but the 458 is a whole different animal! The car is perfection. It's amazing how they were able to design a car with all the creature comforts, but still maintain that level of excitement/rawness. As others said, it's really a matter of money and how much you are willing to part with for a car. In my (honeymoon) opinion, the 458 is better in EVERY single way!!

bball16 and davemqv like this.
  9. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Routine maintenance costs should be higher on the 360 when you figure in the belt changes. The 458 doesn't have an actuator for the F1 system, which can also be costly to repair on the 360. Please don't get me wrong, I truly loved my 360, but the 458 is a more modern advanced car.

davemqv likes this.
  10. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    it's all personal preference and what u are looking for really. Twice the car in terms of performance? probably. Twice the character? definitely no. I dont own a 360 but have a 430 and 458, and u just hear and feel and smell a lot more than the 458. And the design is so drastically different i dont think they can be compared...it's just different. The 360 styling is really an revolution from the 360 in the 90s, and to me the style has its appeal. The 458 is a total diff design language. I wouldnt use both as daily, but if one is to use them as daily i dont see it's difficult. The 458 is so easy to drive it's just like a modern porsche. The 430 is pretty easy to drive but the f1 makes it that more exciting and connected. I assume the 360 is probably a even more raw and analogue version of the 430

davemqv likes this.
  11. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yes, sorry - typo on my part. I meant to ask if the 360 was more to service. Well that's surprising but good to know!

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Apples to oranges. No comparison. 458 is a DCT. Just two totally different cars. Both nice but nothing alike aside from the name Ferrari.

Yassa and davemqv like this.
  13. DrDoug

DrDoug Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Doug T
    I owned a 3 pedal manual 360 for 8 years and recently traded up to a 458. Obviously, the 458 is a much better car in all respects (power, speed, gearbox, handling, interior, modern upgrades such as nav, Bluetooth, dual TFD screens, etc.). That being said, the 360 is a great value for the money. My 2002 360 had reasonable speed, great sound with the Tubi exhaust, and modern exterior styling that did not make it look like a 16 year old car. I think that it boils down to money. If you can afford a 458, it is definitely an awesome car and well worth it. If a 360 is more in your budget, it provides a Big Bang for your buck and it is a fun car to drive and be seen in. I would say that the 458 is like business class on a trans Atlantic flight while the 360 is like premium economy class. The business class seat is way better at twice (or more) of the cost while the premium economy / coach seat provides a good value for the money.

davemqv and bball16 like this.
  14. lamborarijason

lamborarijason Karting

Sep 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I daily drove 3 pedal gated manual 360 for a few years. It is 100% daily driveable and provided me a lot of good times. But even 10 years ago I felt it was underpowered. It average about 2~3 trips to shops for random things per year, nothing serious, and stock exhaust will release white powdery stuff so engine bay is never clean. The gated shifter is surgical precision tool, I really miss the gated shifter on both my LP550-2 and 360.

Highly recommend Capristo or Tubi style exhaust. The both sound godly on 360.

458 is indeed 2 levels up compare to 360. Is 458 worth twice the money, I tend to believe so, this question will vary depend on one's situation.

You should test drive it and see if you enjoy it. That is the best way to find out. Ferrari ownership experience is quite special. 360 is still a fantastic Ferrari.

Yassa and davemqv like this.
  15. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have owned a 360F1 2003 Coupe and now a 2015 458 Italia and totally agree with bball's assessment of the 360 vs 458.

bball16 likes this.
  16. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    There are merits to virtually all Ferraris. Get what you can afford; you will likely be happy with whatever you buy.

BarryK likes this.
  17. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I currently own both cars in this discussion, 2003 360 Coupe Gated 6 (listed for sale) and 2011 458 also in Coupe and both stock.

My purchase of the 360 was a path to understand the brand. I wanted to know if I would be OK with the attention it draws, cost of ownership, reliability, drivability, and any unknown factors associated with owning a Ferrari. A few years after the 360 purchase I bought the 458 and am in the unique position of being able to drive them back to back anytime, including driving them on the track.

The difference is Analog vs Digital.

360 - Starts, runs, feels fast at low speeds, just hop in, push in clutch, turn the key and go.
    A/C and Heat keep things comfortable in any weather.
    The simplicity of it all makes the car enjoyable but use on the track is where it shines.
    The size of the windshield, placement of the mirrors, pedals, steering wheel, and powerband all work together well.
    I can brake, downshift and blip the throttle (heel-toe) on track at speed with ease, not so much on the street.
    Cost of ownership is not prohibitive, I’m spending $3,000 per year.

458 - Always a process to get going: Turn the Key, Foot on Brake, Push Start Button, Push Reverse Button, Apply Throttle, Press Brake, Press A Button to change into manual mode, Pull Upshift Lever, then you can go. Turn signals are buttons on steering wheel which requires mental focus so you don’t pull a downshift by mistake.
    Creature comforts are great, Bluetooth phone, Hard Drive for music, dual zone A/C and Heat, Nav System, Cruise Control, Automatic Mode when wanted, dimming rear view, homelink garage door opener, digital feedback for track use (tire temps and pressures), wet mode for those torrential downpours.
    The car is useable street or track in any way you choose. Simply decide what mode you want and drive it.
    Cost of ownership is similar, except for tires but upfront cost for the car is double.

They are both V-8, Normally aspirated, Mid-engine layouts so the basics are there but the 458 is so much more car, just look at the HP and torque ratings. 360 has more storage space behind the seats and in the frunk. I am happy with the 458 and have no regrets about listing the 360 for sale.

Hope this helps.

Doug

Hoboken, paulchua, Zcobra1 and 2 others like this.
  18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I had a 2003 360 with F1 tranmission.Drove it 7 years and logged almost 70 K miles. Very nice car. If you buy one be sure to upgrade it with the Ferrari factory sport exhaus . Truly transforms the car. Drives better and sounds louder with an almost old school baby F1 growl.

The 458 spider I now own is obviously a very significant evolution. Every system and aspect of the car is improved. If you can afford the 458, get one. Mine just turned 92,700 miles old. Love her.

Shamile and davemqv like this.
  19. evo3

evo3 Karting

Apr 21, 2011
    Switzerland
    I recently also due the switch from a 2004 360 Spider manual to a 2012 458 Spider and I do not regret it.
    I owned the 360 for 6 years and 20000Km and had very enjoyment time, but compared to the 458 no way!
    The 458 is in any case better, but regarding sound my 360 with the stock challenge stradale exhaust was unbeatable. I think this list will help you regarding a decision:

360 pro:
    First full aluminum chassis mid-engine model of Ferrari V8 model range.
    First mid-engine model V8 with glass engine cover
    Last natural aspired mid-engine V8 with 5 valves.

458 pro:
    First Ferrari mid-engine model V8 with 9000rpm.
    Last natural aspired mid-engine Ferrari in V8 model range.
    First Ferrari mid-engine model with DCT gearbox.
    Last Ferrari mid-engine model from Pininfarina.
    Last Ferrari mid-engine model from Luca di Montezemolo

davemqv and Dave rocks like this.
  20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    I have a 360 manual. I would like to upgrade to a 458 in the future perhaps as the manual 360's go up in value and 458's come down. However I suspect they will never meet. In the UK I recall hearing that they restricted the amount of 458's sold?

Maintenance has so far been better on my 360 than my other two previous Ferraris. I have also read that 458's having carbon brakes and if they've been a bit of a garage queen might develop cracks. If that is the case then new brakes are going to be expensive I think.

There's no denying the 458 is a 'better' car in terms of performance and comforts. It's newer by 10 years at least. My first Ferrari was a Mondial and whilst I would not say hard to drive it was not as easy as the F355 that followed it. Guess what, it also was not as quick and although my F355 was far from faultless it had less problems than the Mondial. Hey ho it was 14 years newer.

Today with my 360 it seems miles ahead of the F355 in terms of everything but especially performance. It makes me think either the F355 had issues (it constantly failed emission tests) or the 360 has had a map on it or both?? It just feels incredibly quick. I've had aftermarket exhausts on all my Ferraris. Stock exhausts used to be relatively quiet (CS an exception). I think maybe the F430 standard exhausts are much better and certainly on the 458 from hearing these cars.

My advice is if you can afford the 458 then buy that but a 360 will not disappoint.

davemqv likes this.
  21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Doug and everyone else. I have no doubt the 458 is the better car overall. It's certainly a stunner. It sounds like the 360 is also (still) a very usable car. Doug's point about being able to just turn the key in his 360 and go was one of the things I was wondering about (my car is from the "let it warm up for 5-10 minutes era). Very much appreciate all the thoughtful responses.

22. Indy360silver

Indy360silver Karting

Feb 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron starr
    My 360 just felt to delicate and dated. Delicate old leather have to baby everything. I think even the 430 will be a step up and more useable

23. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    The leather in the 360 was a bit fragile. What I did was to buy some of the leather paint and using a fine tipped artist brush do some touch up work. After the retouched areas aged, everything looked great.

The leather in the 458 is supplied by Poltrona Frau. It is more durable.

davemqv likes this.
  24. Indy360silver

Indy360silver Karting

Feb 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aaron starr
    i wonder if the 430 is a huge step up in terms of performance and interior durability? it looks it, that was my plan for next one.

davemqv likes this.
  25. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You’re making it way too difficult on yourself to start the 458. Just put foot on brake, turn key and press the start button. To leave, just pull up-shift paddle. You don’t need to press R or A. If you start out in auto mode, just pull up-shift paddle again once you’re under way and it will stay in manual mode.

Both cars have their charms, with an especially nice contrast if your 360 is a gated manual.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

davemqv likes this.