Oil leaks GT4 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Oil leaks GT4

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Sep 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Kiwiokie, I'm like a caged animal right now cause I want to start on this now!, I have a 10mm socket in my back pocket and I want to rip out the pans! I'm having the thought that it was damaged when they installed it, the Byotch is that they had the engine delivered to them in theyre lap and I get this? jeez. 100 X rings? Thatll fix it! are you saying I might need like 20 or 30!? I called verell today but no answer or voice mail. Thx for offering possibly hit you up on a few. Thing is that I paid a arm and a foot to have this done and as easy as possible for the shop. Last year it took ten weeks to get the car in, and I don't have that kind of time cause I am BEYOND TIRED OF THIS.

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Btw kiwi, I assume the selector to shaft connection is a nut and bolt and not a ring nut correct?

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    +1 on using a dollop of silicone gasket sealer at the cam seal juncture. Should be a little more generous than in the picture. Also use a compound more pliable like Permatex Ultra Black.

One easy way to test for a leak there is to cut some thin lengths of rag, and tie them around that area before you run the car. Then you can see for sure if oil is leaking from the area around the cam seals.

Also, the Ferrari V8 when properly assembled should not leak any oil at all.

absostone likes this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I cleaned everything and added dye in the oil then used a black light, it confirmed what I thought

5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Guys I took both pans off mid last week. Ordered new pan gaskets and seals. Also some x rings from verell.
    Whom I would like to thank very much.
    Got my gaskets today but they are not Klingersil they are Sesalit. Anyone know anything about these ? Btw the shaft had polished areas where the o ring sits. So I'm sure the oil film was seeping through.

6. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    mine was leaking from there for those reasons. Used this stuff as recommended by Hylomar.
    Now completely oil tight!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Freddy I'm not at that point yet. But when and if I am I'll use that

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Well I'm around 2 weeks with no pan seepage or leaks at the studs. Also new x rings installed from Verell. I adjusted the shift fork myself without a second person. It's the easiest job on the car.
    Next to bring the car back to the builder for the remainder of leaks.

Ian Bishop likes this.
  9. Squirrelmonkey

Squirrelmonkey Karting

Dec 27, 2010
    Manitoba ,Canada
    Full Name:
    Tom Thieme
    Check out these people for excellent gasket sets .They are victor reinz gaskets and seals.The prices are lower than anywhere ive found in NA. The complete sets come with Rienzoplast sealant (similar to Hylomar) which works great !
    www.dinoparts.eu

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Cool I'll check it out