Cali T HS vs 488 Exhaust note what do you think? | FerrariChat

Cali T HS vs 488 Exhaust note what do you think?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wrs, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

which sounds better

1. Cali T HS

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. 488 Spider

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    So the Cali T left yesterday and the 488 Spider arrived. I had my wife video a revving contest between the two cars before the Cali T was loaded on the truck. Which sounds better?

good2go likes this.
  2. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    The CaliT sounds "raspier" and wilder.

Or maybe because you didn't want to rev the 488 too much. :)

Congratulations on a beautiful 488!

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    To me I think the California sounded better.

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    Thanks and no, I revved it legitimately. The difference I notice is when I am driving the car, the 488 screams more after it hits 4krpm which you can't hear in the revving because it's not under load and accelerating.

They are definitely different and I have to give the Cali T the edge in revving but not driving. The 488 definitely sounds better when driving.

5. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    That is probably true, but I haven’t driven one and may not since the wife hated getting in and out of the one we looked at and sat in locally. Her distaste was evident immediately upon getting in. She said she hated how wide it is before you get in. I will however be taking my daughter on a vacation and renting a 458 while my son and wife go to Washington DC on a school trip. I’m pretty excited since my wife isn’t a fan of the sporty cars so instead of my usual California t rental I’ll be broadening my horizons. Even the rental guy made a comment when I called to reserve the 458, lol

6. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    You can tell the difference in height by looking at the two cars in my driveway. The Cali T is like the Maserati in getting in and out. The 488 is very low to the ground and you drop into it like with the Porsche. Same sporty feel as the Porsche. My wife went for a ride last night and liked it. She says it's definitely better than the Cali T in her opinion.

The 488 is 1.5" wider than the Cali T not as much difference as it appears.

7. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    I had a 13 Cali 30 and now 17 Cali T HS.
    My kids and 100% of my friends prefer Cali T HS sound.
    Performances T HS vs 30 are also a huge improvement in driving experiences.
    The best of my previoaus car concerning exhaust note was my Countach 25th anniversary !
    Congratulations for your beautiful 488.

wrs likes this.
  8. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    This is an outstanding exhaust sound !!!

tomc and iloveferrari like this.
  9. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah my wife is a bigger gal and don’t like the “falling” in. Haven’t tried out a Maserati yet just looked at them really hard but honestlyboth the California and the Granturismo would probably fill my needs well. I just like the looks all around of the California better. Though a 13-14 maserati Is over half less then the California, but the California would hold value far better.

The wife says she doesn’t care what I buy since it’s my car but if I want her to ride in it I better listen to her input as the car will be a weekend getaway car and I want her to be as comfortable as possible. Someone here suggested the California and she does enjoy it a fair bit but she likes the size of the back seat of the Granturismo( something about letting the kids ride in it but I know what the back of our mini van looks like so I’m less inclined to let them). I still have a few months before I really get serious but I’m currently still leaning California but a 458 would be sweet too.

10. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    No disagreement but not a fair comparison! You have to compare that to the F12 or 812. I heard one of the latter at COTA during the FC owner lapping and man, what a sound it had.

11. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Holy ****!

12. HDN

HDN Rookie

Apr 7, 2018
    Full Name:
    Herman N
    Lucasines,is the steering from the Cali T HS more directly than the Cali 30 >
    They say Cali 30 2.8 turns against the T HS 2.5 turns .
    Can you feel the difference ?

13. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Lucasines,is the steering from the Cali T HS more directly than the Cali 30 >
    They say Cali 30 2.8 turns against the T HS 2.5 turns .
    Can you feel the difference ?

HDN, yes I can feel the difference, Cali T HS is more directly

14. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Looking forward to hearing more. After selling my CalitHS I have been going nuts for another one. I didn't realize how much I love cabs .

15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I just voted 488 on my own poll. I have been driving the thing now for the last 5 days and the exhaust is just fantastic for a turbo OEM. The Cali T HS is very good but the placement of the engine in this car makes it better for the driver. The Cali T HS has more burbles and it barks on the upshift which the 488 doesn't but the 488 rumbles and roars and then it screams which the Cali doesn't.

The reason I didn't want to wait six months for the car is because I didn't want to not have a drop top for 6 months and if I kept the Cali then I would lose more on depreciation due to time and miles. The new car had only 105 miles on it and was a spec so close to what I was going to do that it wasn't worth the time to wait because the price was so close to MSRP anyway. I only paid $10k over MSRP since there were no inflated options on the car, just the good ones IMO. That is no more than the additional depreciation I would be taking in the next 6 months. Hence, new drop top now.

I still have yet to spec a Ferrari but I have gotten new cars two years in a row for MSRP or close enough not to matter. Color me satisfied.

16. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    You only live once, and if you can afford to buy what you want you should and enjoy it while you can, which it sure sounds like you did. Personally I didn’t like the 488 but liked the 458 so go figure. It’s nice that you found a car close to what you would have spec’ed so you beat the waiting game and the depreshiation monster. There is no replacement for time lost on enjoyment and money lost/spent.

wrs and uhn2000 like this.
  17. uhn2000

uhn2000 Formula 3

Oct 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Good to know bud, enjoy the heck out of the ride! Keep the updates coming, my 488 coupe shows up in a few weeks but it ain't no CAB.

18. Jkay

Jkay Karting

Jan 9, 2017
    As has been said above, when driving the 488 under load it sounds much much better and really screams

I’ve spent considerable time in both and much prefer the sound of the 488 (when driving)

When revving and in the video above, the Cali sounds better

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app