California Production Estimates | FerrariChat

California Production Estimates

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by AustinDriver, May 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AustinDriver

AustinDriver Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I pieced together the information below from various sources.
    Does anyone have any better numbers?

California production:

2008 to 2012 = 8,000 were manufactured (estimate from various FerrariChat threads)

2013 = 1,219 manufactured in 2013 (#1)

2014 = 1,645 manufactured in 2014 (#1)

2015 = 2,638 manufactured in 2015 (#1)

2016 = (2,650~) manufactured in 2016

2017 = (2,650~) manufactured in 2017

(#1) Ferrari N.V. Stock Offering Prospectus
    March 14, 2016; pp.44-46
    (Information by calendar year, not model year)

So using the above as estimates (calendar year numbers are NOT model year numbers), about:

8,000 California’s were produced
    2,900 California 30’s were produced
    7,900 California T’s were produced

About 34% of those came to the Americas (US, Canada, etc) (#1)

fossilfuel likes this.
  2. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    So 30's are the rarest :)

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah because they were only produced for 2 years the 99-12 California and the California t were produced for roughly the same amount of time hence the similar production numbers. I’d guess the cali30 suffered lower numbers due to model changes.

And I would guess the California model line was one of the higher produced models given the production numbers so you can’t argue that it wasn’t a popular model. I actually like it a bit more then the f430 and the 458 but I attribute that more to my age and different driving situation. I personally like that it sits higher and I don’t feel squeezed in. I think I’d like the f430 more if it had a hard top on the spider which is why I like the 458 spider more then the f430 spider. I like how the California felt significantly more roomy top up then any 430 I ever drove or sat in top up. Won’t know for sure my thoughts reguarding the 458 until after my next vacation where I have already reserved a rental 458.

And out of the 3 variants of the California I’m highly leaning twards the cali30 since I feel it’s more bang for your buck currently, but that might change once the portofino hits the streets in earnest. Prices of the T might take a significant hit once that happens. All 3 variants are good cars save the random DCT failures and I’m hoping the replacement parts that are used are more reliable as these cars age and the DCT is refined more.

4. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    BTW I test drove your former f430. You took excellent care of that car. Luckily I wasn’t ready to purchase or I’m sure I’d have been making room in the shop for not only that car but a cot for myself as well lol.

Epensock likes this.
  5. fossilfuel

fossilfuel Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 21, 2011
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Mark H
    Thanks azlin! I do miss the 430 sometimes---it has an aggression that the Cali doesn't have--- but like you, It comes down to ergonomics/use-ability as a (near) daily driver for me. I find that I drive the Cali WAY more frequently than i did the 430---just as a matter of comfort and practicality. Mine has been pretty bullet proof so far---save for some leather that needs to be re-glued. But overall, it has been great. I am getting new tires soon and excited about that. In general, if it has a prancing horse on it, its hard to go wrong :)

6. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Yeah, the 430 sure spoke to the teenager in me but I think the california is a better choice overall even with the nearly unuseable backseat. That California you bought was a nice one other then it was black (personal opinion) and I wasn’t so sure about the tan upper dash. But it has the HS package which is almost a must have. And let’s face it the california still has plenty on demand. I know it isn’t anything for us to pile on the miles when we rent one they are so comfortable. When we looked at your 430 at the dealer my wife took one look and said “nope” and wouldn’t even get in. She didn’t care for the 488 spider they had in there either.

Leather shrinkage and sticky buttons are just part of the Ferrari experience. But the California overall was a great design like you said for near daily usability. And the maintainance is a whole lite less with nearly all the newer cars which is awesome. Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. Glad you got a good deal since it seems like cali30’s aren’t dropping a whole lot in ask prices.

I’m still hopeful that I’m able to make a purchase before the end of the year but it’s starting to look like we are going to have to replace a tractor so I might have to put off my car for another year......

7. AustinDriver

AustinDriver Rookie

Mar 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Ed
    ....getting caught up on reading the thread. The Cali30 HS is the perfect car (for me). I love mine. You really shouldn’t compare the Cali’s to the F430s or 458s. Two very different driving experiences. GT vs Sports Car.

The rear mid engine and horsepower are fantastic on the 430. It’s ideal for the twisting, winding roads. I’m sure the 458 is that much better, I just haven’t driven one yet. The comfort on the Cali along with 490 hp makes it a pure joy as well. That said, you really must have the Handling Speciale. I wouldn’t own one w/o it. I went with the 30 over the T for the naturally aspirated engine.

I’m test driving a Portofino this weekend through my local dealership. Can not wait....!

azlin75 likes this.
  8. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Oh I know they are different, but as of a year an a half ago my only Ferrari experience was a 512tr rental several years ago. Now that I’m ready to buy a car for “fun” I just want to try all of the reasonable options. I agree that of the 3 variants I think I like the 30 best and believe it’s the more bang for your buck of the 3 variants.

Enjoy that portofino test, I’ve read mostly positive reactions.

9. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    What time? I am at 1pm.