Drunk Lambo Driver Kills Uber Driver in Delray | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Drunk Lambo Driver Kills Uber Driver in Delray

Discussion in 'Florida' started by GatorFL, Sep 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Per the start of the video, it looks like that THERE IS a stop sign posted in the direction of the traveling Lambo....

2. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    I'll have to drive by but I believe the Lambo had the right of way with no stop sign. The cross streets definitely have a stop sign. A couple news articles reference a "dangerous intersection" sign, perhaps that's what you see in the video?

3. floridadoorman

floridadoorman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2014
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Perhaps.....While I know of the intersection....do not recall if in fact it is a stop sign.....looks like the same shape...no?

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Google maps shows no stop sign in that direction.

5. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    It speaks VOLUMES, about the skank girlfriend that leaves the scene of the wreck, not even offering any help to her boyfriend, or the person in the Buick. And then at her home, the derelict refuses to give a statement to police. Guess she had to hurry home, to get another drink. Sad.

6. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wasnt there so wont guess as to the details BUT if the Lambo driver is at fault and killed that guy, hope he rots in prison.

7. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Crazy, did you see their mugshots from previous DUIs? Never, ever should have happened. To me, if they were intoxicated, not unlike Bullfighter.........and she left her lover face down on the road or something like that? Just drove off with him thrown from the car? Almost makes me laugh in disbelieve. And at that age doing this sort of stuff?

8. F430-Spider

F430-Spider Karting

Jul 30, 2013
    Crazy stuff. Just goes to show how a quick lapse in judgement can effect the rest of your life.

When I'm in my Ferrari, I'm super aware of everything and drive defensively.. because I have to. It seems like the idiots are out there and they are drawn to my car and do stupid things, and that's enough for me.. I don't want to create more craziness by speeding in populated areas.

9. Goonthree

Goonthree Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Orlando
    The Buick driver looks like he treated the intersection as a 4 way stop. It also looks like the other car going the opposite direction treated as 4 way stop.

10. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Lambo driver charged with DUI Manslaughter:

Lamborghini driver was drunk and speeding in crash that killed Uber driver, 82, police say - Sun Sentinel

A fter drinking at least three Long Island Iced Teas, a Lamborghini driver was speeding along at 75 mph before he smashed into another vehicle and killed its 82-year-old Uber driver, police said.

Roger Wittenberns, 61, turned himself in and was booked into Palm Beach County’s jail shortly after 7 p.m. Monday on charges that include negligent manslaughter and driving under the influence.

According to a Delray Beach police report released Tuesday, Wittenberns and then-girlfriend Patty Ann McQuiggin, now his wife, spent about two hours on the afternoon of Sept. 21 at City Oyster in Delray’s downtown entertainment district and ordered more than a dozen drinks.

A duplicate of Wittenberns’ check at Table 15 showed “3 Long Island Iced Tea, 3 Cosmo, 3 Goose 4oz” before moving to the bar area for another Long Island Iced Tea, a vodka martini and another “Goose 4oz” the report said.

The couple’s server confirmed that Wittenberns drank three Long Island Iced Teas, a drink typically made with tequila, vodka, rum, triple sec, gin and a splash of cola, the report said.

When the couple left the restaurant, Wittenberns drove his yellow Lamborghini and his girlfriend followed in a separate car, a Porsche, police said.

Wittenberns was headed north on Northeast Sixth Avenue when he crashed into a silver Buick Enclave driven by Uber driver J. Gerald Smith at Northeast First Street.

Police reconstructed the crash and estimated his speed at 75 mph.

Blood drawn at Delray Medical Center less than an hour after the crash showed his blood-alcohol level at 0.15, nearly double Florida’s legal limit of .08, the arrest report said.

An investigator wrote in the report that Wittenberns had slurred speech and glassy eyes and told police that he had “a couple of drinks.”

“He appeared tired and was unable to keep his eyes open,” the report said.

Wittenberns told police he was unable to stop or slam on the brakes before the impact with Smith’s car. He also said he was taking medications that included a blood thinner and Xanax, an anti-anxiety drug.

He said he had drank a Long Island Iced Tea but didn’t remember how many he drank, although the server “might’ve brought a second one.”

Smith, who had been heading home to have dinner, died at the scene of the crash. Wittenberns, who founded the Lady of America fitness club chain, was hospitalized for his injuries.

At Wittenberns’ first court appearance Tuesday morning in West Palm Beach, Judge Dina Keever-Agrama set his bond at $450,000 and put him on house arrest.

Keever-Agrama ordered that Wittenberns have no contact with any witnesses, but one of the witnesses is Wittenberns’ wife, McQuiggin. The judge made an exception for Wittenberns to be able to talk with her, but the couple is not allowed to discuss the case.

Wittenberns also is prohibited from driving or having alcohol, weapons or drugs without a prescription. He’ll be tested randomly for drugs and alcohol, the judge ordered.

His driver’s license and passport were surrendered to the court.

Walking out of the courtroom, Wittenberns’ lawyer, Marc Shiner, had no comment. “This court case needs to be heard in the courtroom, not tried by the media,” he said.

His client faces charges of vehicular homicide, DUI manslaughter and DUI causing injury.

Just over a month after the crash, Wittenberns and McQuiggin filed a marriage license application with the Palm Beach County Clerk’s Office, on Oct. 24. The two were married at the county courthouse in Delray Beach on Nov. 21, 2016.

Legal experts say people at risk of lawsuits or criminal charges can seek certain protections by getting married.

Fred A. Schwartz, a criminal defense and civil litigation attorney in Boca Raton, said marriage shields a husband or wife from testifying against a spouse in civil and criminal cases.

“Anything a wife sees or hears during the course of a marriage is privileged,” Schwartz said, using the example of a husband who comes home with blood all over his clothes and tells his wife he killed someone.

The right could cover any events, even those that took place before the marriage began, he said.

Marriage also protects jointly owned property from being seized by a debt collector or lawsuit, said Schwartz, a partner with the law firm Kopelowitz Ostrow Ferguson Weiselberg Gilbert. The same property could otherwise be exposed, Schwartz explained.

Smith was a retired real estate agent who was driving for the ride service Uber when the crash happened.

A wrongful death lawsuit against Wittenberns, filed in March by Eloisa Smith, his widow, was settled April 29 for an undisclosed amount.

Staff Writer Marc Freeman and staff researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report.

11. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    At least now we know why they got married.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    His lawyer says it's "not going tried in the media"?

I would say he has a little bigger problem with the FACTS.

13. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The "After the fact" marriage protection just seems wrong.

14. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    Xanax, drunk and speeding. I really wish they had the death penalty for these *******s.

15. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Agreed.

16. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    http://cbs12.com/news/local/millionaire-lambo-driver-faces-trial-for-fatal-collision-with-uber-driver

DELRAY BEACH, Fla. (CBS12) — A millionaire Lamborghini driver charged with driving drunk, killing an 82-year old Uber driver is now on a trial calendar for this coming fall.

Roger Wittenberns appeared in court for a status check Friday morning.

The judge said no more continuations, and put the case on a trial calendar this coming fall.

The crash happened on U- 1, just north of downtown Delray Beach in 2016.

Police say Wittenberns was traveling at least 75 miles an hour when he crashed into Gerald Smith, who was pulling out from a cross street.

Police say Wittenberns and the woman who's now his wife ordered 12 alcoholic drinks within a 2-hour period before the crash.

Witternberns faces a lawsuit from Smith's widow, and a lawsuit from an insurance company out of Broward County which claims he moved millions of his assets to avoid paying out in lawsuits.

17. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its amazing this has taken so long to get to trial. Something is wrong with the system.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  18. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Xanax, massive amounts of alcohol and 75mph on this street? This guy’s life had to be out of control to do something that stupid. I used to be quite wild in my younger years and did a lot of stupid things. If they are made right, three Long Island teas and some shots would have had me crawling out of the bar. I understand how you get to this point though. When you are an alcoholic and you get enough drinks in you all judgement goes out the window so you start drinking even more. I don’t believe I would have ever driven 75mph on this road though. If he hadn’t crashed it would have been a miracle. I was lucky that I learned my lesson before hurting anyone.

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Expect some donations to be made, and the trial to be dismissed, just like the one with the Ferrari guy who dragged out about 4-5 years. Of course, if the criminal does not want to pay the amount required to bypass the trial, he is going to be found guilty.

20. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Maybe. But it didn't work for John Goodman and he had some decent lawyers.......

Good judge, case will be tried in 2018 absent something extraordinary. Just IMHO of course!

Regards,
    Jerry

21. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    I live nearby. It is incredibly stupid and reckless to drive that fast in that area, especially when you're drunk.

I don't get it. I had some moron my age in a Mercedes (the $450K one) trying to bait me into racing him a few years ago in Delray on a city street. A kid in a mustang is one thing. You would think maturity would come with wealth and age. Wrong!

Hope this guy goes to jail, for a while. I cannot believe the Scuderia driver literally got away with murder on I-75. It makes my blood boil.

22. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    You can look it up on the Palm Beach County Docket:

Venue: Palm Beach County
    Case no.: 50-2017-CF-005662-AXXX-MB
    Defendant: Roger Wittenberns

This case is currently in the discovery phase and depositions are being scheduled. Calendar call is 10/17/18 and the court is not allowing additional continuances.

I've attached the probable cause affidavit.

Attached Files: