360 Spider top malfunction | FerrariChat

360 Spider top malfunction

Discussion in '360/430' started by LewBlevins, May 14, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LewBlevins

LewBlevins Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lewis S Blevins, jr
    Out of the blue without warning there is a malfunction in my top mechanism. The top opens all the way and things seem to proceed normally until the plate is to close down over the black top. It seems to hang up without situation itself to complete the top lowering process. Then, when I close the top because the plate is stuck upwards it lowers just fine as the last step. So works going up....but not going down. The top itself seems well situated so I don’t think there is a problem there preventing completion of the top lowering. Any thoughst?

2. John Skevington

May 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    John William Skevington
    I would check the level of your oil reservoir. I keep my oil level about 15 or 20mm above the level marked from the factory and have no problems at all. Hope it cures the problem for you.

3. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
    Can you please expand on this? Ie at least where this reservoir is located? First I’ve heard of this in my research on this issue.

4. Dr.Gee

Dr.Gee Karting

Mar 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Gee Monie
  5. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    Several threads on this topic here. While checking the hydraulic fluid level is a great idea, the problem when the top doesn't quite close, but closes with gentle help, seems to be the elastic straps. The write-up by Aldous Voice above is great. As I recall at least one of the threads here has photos that may help. Good luck!

whatheheck likes this.
  6. John Skevington

May 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    John William Skevington

7. John Skevington

May 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    John William Skevington
    Hi there...The oil container is in the panel behind the drivers (RHD) seat.the one the seat belt emerges from. It is clipped in and easily removed for checking things. I had the same problem on our manual Spider and topping up the oil fixes it. We have a very small leak in one of the rams. We did replace the roof skin on this car a couple of years ago also as the elastic was not doing its job. Our other F1 Spider does not suffer from any of these problems at all.

8. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
    Does anyone’s top open and close with the key on but engine not running. Mine only works with engine running.

9. Keith360

Keith360 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Keith Williams
  10. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    The manual says to only operate the top with the engine running so I always turn it on.

11. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I do it once in a while. It works all the time because I periodically grease all the joints with lithium grease. No problem whatsoever.

whatheheck likes this.
  12. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    Mine does, I've opened and closed it without the engine running a few times over the years... wouldn't do it too often though as it uses a fair amount of energy!

13. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I've changes some of the accessible straps (documented in another thread) but yet it throws a tantrum 2 out of 3 times I try to lower it. Stupid thing just does not want to retract fully.

Would be nice to be able to completely remove the entire canvas section with the roof closed.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    When I first started having problems with the top hanging, first thing I did was to change out the hydraulic oil. I then cycle the top a few times and you can actually see bubbles rising from the reservoir, which is a good sign. Once I have confidence that the system is flushed and bled, I then proceed with the elastics and lubrication of the joints.

15. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
  16. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #16 mello, May 18, 2018
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
    I agree. A hardtop on a Spider would look REAL NICE! I've been contemplating for years whether to have one made out of carbon fibre. The rag top does destroy the smooth line of the 360 Spider in my opinion. Want to chip in to have two made? :D

17. LewBlevins

LewBlevins Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lewis S Blevins, jr
    Well. The problem has been solved.

18. LewBlevins

LewBlevins Rookie

Mar 21, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lewis S Blevins, jr
    There are several little switches activated by the top mechanism in a sequential manner. The mechanic I took the car to identified the problem within one minute based on how the top stopped and made a small adjustment to the position of one of the switches and it works perfectly!!

19. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I got mine working this morning as well. I'm spending time with an old friend who worked for Jaguar back in the UK. He currently has a V12 E-Type convertible.
    He watched my top go down and stopped short of folding itself completely for the back cover to slide over it. He did it several times and bet me a bottle of fine scotch that he could get it to work first try because he felt it was the same problems he faced with his Jag. Game on, so I gave him the keys.

Surprisingly, he took out a spray can of 3-in-1 liquid penetrant that he had in his garage and with the top in the half open position he sprayed every linkage or anywhere where two pieces of metal slide against each other. He focused on the pistons of the rams and sprayed those liberally. He operated the top several times to ensure he got every one in sight, reclosed the top and let it sit for 2 hours.

So I go back to the car and it smells like crap. However, on first try the top opened 100% and even my lazy flaps worked flawlessly. $202 fix ($2 penetrant and Macallan 18 year Old). Not bad.

LewBlevins likes this.