348 Market | Page 5 | FerrariChat

348 Market

Discussion in '348/355' started by vvassallo, May 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Even if you did sell you'd be hard pressed to replace it with something as cool for less than $100k. IMO, the next car up the ladder is the 512TR, and those are way more money than 348s. Besides, a TR is more GT than sports car. Not sure if there is a better sports car than a well developed 348. Maybe something in the 308 series that's been seriously hot rodded, but then you get dirty looks from the Ferrari faithful. ;)

QSA, Wade and Fmuto42 like this.
  2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I've had my 348 for almost eight years now and I wouldn't sell you the luggage for $40K. :) The cool kids and LDM may scoff, but it is a retrospective high point for Ferrari. Really the last fairly simple, straight ahead driver's car, IMO. I'm not saying some cool stuff did not follow the 348 (I would be a real hypocrite), but nothing that has that same connection and raw, kart-y feel.

QSA, Jakuzzi, bjwhite and 3 others like this.
  3. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will have my 91 ts for 3 years in November. I’ve done some cleanup and perfection to it. Added a Tubi for the best look and sound.

I freaking love this car. I’ve owned 30some cars in my lifetime (ranging from commuter cars to big V8 and turbo I6) but this car is engaging, it’s raw, it’s ANALOG! This is why it drives how it does and the best part is that it only goes up from here. Porsche air cooled have gone sky high and Ferrari 348ts, I believe will follow.

QSA, Chupacabra, bjwhite and 3 others like this.
  4. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I plan to get 348 soon...as soon as I sell my 930. I get lambasted by my Ferrari owning friends about my fondness for the 348. They tell me the 355 is a better car, or get a modern 430 blah, blah, blah. I like the rawness of the 348 with no electronic nannies and other crud to get in the way of your driving experience. That is the same reason why I like my 930. It is a raw, unsophisticated car. lol The problem with the 930 is people bother me all the time trying to buy it for a flip. I'm fine with talking to enthusiasts, but when the first thing out of your mouth is," So, how much you want for it?", it gets tiring.

bjwhite, QSA and Jakuzzi like this.
  5. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Unfortunately, like most of the participants in Ferrari chat these days. :(
    One can see from the outset of some of the posts that what the really want is to know for how much can they sell the car just acquired and garaged, as not to put stress and diminish the "value" of the car.

6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I get the same thing with my 993. Can I just enjoy a day out in it, please?! :)

Regarding the value - I've said it on this forum many times and I continue to believe that an increase in value is our responsibility. In other words, no more fire sales. I remember a few years back, when BB's were $80-90K +/- owners on this forum decided, "You know what? We're not going to accept that." I'd say it worked. Historically, too many people have gotten into 348s as first Ferraris without having done much research and ended up buying into the low value philosophy. I'm glad to see an enthusiastic new (or new-ish) group of owners is forming. Enthusiasm is a huge part of the auto value game and it tends to be infectious!

7. sdiamond

sdiamond Formula Junior

Mar 25, 2009
    Kildeer
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agree completely, there was and is a limited number of sorted cars and as time goes on there are fewer. Value is a mutually agreed phenomenon and as owners we have the 'power' and responsibility to set that fairly and promote the spirit of the manual gate shifted machine before as someone said above the electronically nanny assisted "innovations". I've also owned a number of 'sports cars' over the years and tend to have a bucket list I'm working through but having the 348 for 9 years still seems like a short affair so far. I bought it after going back and forth with a Testarossa choice (they were the same price then) and while the T has rocketed ahead in price there's something about a naturally aspirated V8 with the top down that's hard to pass up. Long live the Brotherhood.

Chupacabra and QSA like this.
  8. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    When I bought my ERA Cobra, I had actually started my “new toy” search looking at 348’s and just stumbled across the ERA and couldn’t resist buying it. Talk about analog - it’s as pure as it gets, and an absolute blast to drive. While I love the ERA, I am back poking around at 348’s again. There’s just something about it - not as sexy as a 328, or as exotic as a TR, but it seems to combine the best of both of those models to me. And the value certainly is right. What’s the opinion on an SS? Despite its rarity, the prices have stayed low. Is that because it’s just not that “different” than a regular TB or TS, unlike the more recent Speciale’s, Scuderia’s, and Stradale’s?

9. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Anybody who derides you because you appreciate the 348's characteristics doesn't know the car very well. The 355 is faster, but a new Camaro is faster than a 355, so.... The 355's shift linkage and gearbox are better, but the 348's engine is more robust. The 348 offers a more pure driving experience, it has fewer overall problems, and it's easier to maintain. From my perspective that makes the 348 at least as good of a car as the 355, and from recent BaT bids it appears others are thinking in the same direction.

What I'm loving about many posts in this thread is just how many people here truly "get" the 348. Many of us have considered the 355 but opted for the 348 specifically because it delivers more of what we want in a driving experience. If you ignored the IMB (IMS) issues in the 996 it'd be easy to claim that model was "superior" to the 930 in most ways, but the enthusiasm for and prices of the air cooled cars clearly indicate where most owners' passions lie-- in the purity of the driving experience. If you can drive a 930 or a 348 quickly then you can drive pretty much anything well, and that's a very gratifying thing for those of us who pursue driving as an art and a skill.

10. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Spot on. I'm not a 996 basher, but I will take my 993 (or earlier) all...day...long. It's all about the feel.

It's similar to musicians. Good and ample technique is a requirement (IMO) and an asset for sure, but beyond a certain point, you're not moving anyone with what you're doing. It has to feel right!

///Mike likes this.
  11. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Well said. Me likes 348 manual steering, strakes, smell of wafty leather, high pitch exhaust blast, sweet corner lines, wonky long nose that scrapes everything, and the folks that think it's a Testarossa.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Berning and ///Mike like this.
  12. Surfari

Surfari Karting

Nov 4, 2016
    Redondo Beach
    Full Name:
    Luke
    I looked at 355's and 328's before the 348. I have never been more disappointed than the first time I drove a 355. Yes, the 355 is stunning to look at, and the exhaust sounds better than Opera singers, but the steering was super generic and had no weight or feel. The gated shifter was fun, but not very rewarding. I came away thinking I liked driving my Miata better. I finally looked at a 348 and the stars aligned. In person, the car has tons of presence, the proportions are spot on, they can sound amazing, and they are pretty stout. Honestly though, I was sold on the steering feel. There are many cars that are faster, but none feel as good to drive. It only took one bend in a 348 to convince me it was the right car. One perfect downshift convinced me I needed it now.

As cars are getting faster, easier to drive, and more generic, I think people are looking towards cars that give a rewarding experience. Cars that make you work for the speed, cars that sometime throw SDL's, cars that great you with the aroma of fine Italian leather when you open the door. Cars like the 348.

I like this car so much, I'm up past my bedtime just to tell a bunch of owners something they already know. I wouldn't do that for anything sold new today.

Berning, Nader, Bertil and 2 others like this.
  13. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I think a new Camry is faster. I know what I'd rather be driving/seen in. No one hangs out the passenger window of a truck with their camera (clearly taking video) yelling "rev that b----!" to someone driving a Camry.

sjd

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    I have always admired the 348 and would love to add one to my collection. The difficult thing is finding an exceptional, original car. Given how picky I am and how particular I am about originality, I’d be surprised if the right car became available. Generally, people really beat the piss out of these cars. I also always wanted a GTB which they didn’t offer in the US.

15. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    The first ones are available for importation this year (25 years old)

16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You ain't seen nothin' yet....

Hammonds rider likes this.
  17. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Any thoughts on my SS value question above?

18. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I think it largely depends on how the car is optioned (seats!) and what the condition is like, of course. I would take a well-maintanined and upgraded TS or TB over a neglected SS all day long.

Though not a part of the numbered series, my car was the first 348 to receive all SS upgrades early in '92 as a kind of "dry run" if you will for FNA. That is interesting and consequently valuable to me. The only cars I really considered are mine, Malex's factory Challenge that he later sold to a forum member, and a black/tan '95 Spider. The color combo and condition of the latter were the only reasons I was even thinking about it and I ultimately decided I want a car that is a bit more special (though I would LOVE to add a black/tan spider one day!). So I do think that, given the right buyer, a well-maintained SS will bring a bit more to the table because of a bit of exclusivity and the factory upgrades.

19. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    But this year and next mean that GTS and GTB cars will be available to the American market for the first time.

Would you take an SS or a euro GTS/GTB? I’d take the euro car everyday and twice on Sunday. I’m not big on the SS, except for the seats. I’m not a fan of the taillights, and non-SS late tb/ts cars got the upgrades too.

I’m curious how the SS will hold up against euro GTS/GTB cars given everything else being equal.

20. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Interesting. What is your serial # and the particular updates you noted?

21. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Last five of vin are 82589, not sure of assembly # off hand. It's having a few minor things taken care of, so it isn't here for me to look at the moment. :)

It's an '89, the seventeenth 348 produced and the fifth imported to the US. F Chat member Ingenere owned it when the upgrades were performed, so maybe he'll chime in too. The SS parts installed included bumpers/front spoiler, the F40 seats and the rear tail light treatment, and at the same time switched to F40 LM brakes in the front and F50 brakes in the rear. They also painted all black parts of the car red. Challenge wheels were added instead of simply widening the rear track on stock units. The car has a Tubi, so not sure if they did anything at that time with the exhaust. I can look in the records.

22. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ah, but the GTC with its 320 HP, tall plenum motor is the epitome of the breed and the first ones are 25 years old now as well. :)

Absolutely my favorite.

https://auto.ferrari.com/en_US/sports-cars-models/past-models/348-gt-competizione/
    https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-ferrari-348-gt-competizione-is-a-rare-beast

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

cnpapa24 and boat3 like this.
  23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Very true, however the GTC had the same tall plenum engine as the GTB/GTS. (F119H)

That being said, yes you’re right. The GTC would obviously be the one with the most upside given it’s special mods and rarity.

24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    That’s some $$$$ right there...

25. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Back in Feb of 2015, No. 13 of 50 was listed for 249,500 Euros.