Another gas fumes thread... | FerrariChat

Another gas fumes thread...

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by miami355, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Hello:

Full disclosure, yes I have read many threads on this topic, but my situation is a bit different. I have heavy fumes, but have removed all trunk coverings and have had car on lift, and the are ZERO signs of gas leaking anywhere. I tried a new cross vent hose and that is the only hose I can't fully see, but still have a trunk and cabin full of fumes. My next option is to drop the tanks. If they had the "pin hole" leaks, wouldn't I see liquid fuel somewhere? Also, is there a place where I can send the tanks to get refurbished?

David

2. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Hello,
    To avoid odours and fumes in the cabin clean the blow-by system who recycles the oil vapours, it is very easy to do.

Jean

3. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Would you please share how to do this as I too have an annoying fuel smell in the car while driving and have zero fuel/exhaust leaks. Thanks

4. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I think that would be exhaust fumes. I have raw fuel fumes.

5. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Also wondering if the $600+ fuel hose kit from Scuderia Rampante is worth the investment. Would it be that hard to match up the OEM fuel hoses at NAPA?

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I used the SR hoses 8 years ago and have had no issues. I don't know if NAPA hoses will work or not. Here is how I look at this. These cars aren't easy to work on, so if I'm going to spend my time working on it I want to use the best parts.

7. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    I'm thinking the same. I'm probably going to have someone else do the work, and what's the chance they will get the exact correct diameter for each hose, and the proper material. I'd say slim to none.

8. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    Hello David
    I have a 400I for over 30 years and every time I had odors in the cabin it was because the blow-by. It must be cleaned at least every 30,000 Kms? it is easy to do? also clean the pipes.

Attached Files:

9. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    The attached file

Attached Files:

10. roger21

roger21 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Stéphane
    May I ask how we should proceed to do that properly (and cleanly if possible)
    Thanks

11. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Yes, please describe how you clean the system?

12. miami355

miami355 Karting

Sep 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Thanks, that's worth doing, but that is exhaust fumes, not raw gas.

13. CARUSO

CARUSO Rookie

Feb 2, 2018
    To clean the system unplug the hoses : B (hose connecting condenser to filler neck) C (hoses from condenser to intake manifolds and air intakes ) D (drain hose from condenser to sump) unscrew the 2 nuts that hold the oil vapour condenser (A) to do that you have to remove one of the oil fiter for acces to the nuts remove the condenser and clean inside both holes and condenser with white spirit or some thing like this.

Schumi likes this.
  14. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Thank you for the explanation. I will try it next time I change the oil. I do wonder though, what is in there that would cause the interior of the car to smell like exhaust other than oil and water?

15. GT Jones

GT Jones Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2011
    Lincoln, MA
    Full Name:
    Christian J
    I used the expensive hoses and they do fit properly. The cost is truly absurd until you factor in your own cost per hour to source substitutes at your local parts store, you all can adjust the absurdity to suit your personal hourly rates. Change the vent hoses too. Change your filter while it’s apart.
    I finally cured the issue after discovering pinholes on the top of the tanks causing no drips but plenty of stink. They were repaired with faa certified epoxy.

16. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    #16 samsaprunoff, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
    Good day Daren,

Smell is one thing, but the Carbon Monoxide (CO) would be more of a concern. We all know that CO is lethal over time, however, even exposure even over the short term can cause a host of other medical issues and ailments. If a car is smelling like exhaust (CO, Hydrocarbons, NOx, etc) then I would thoroughly examine the exhaust system for leaks as well as an adequate tail pipe length. If all is fine, then there must be a cabin entry point to allow the exhaust gases to enter. In my 365 there are "hidden" vents within the cabin area along with the fresh air/heater intakes (and indirectly the window and door seals). Also, one has to be aware that when the car is moving and outside air is flowing past the cabin (and the various air spaces/gaps/vents), a slight vacuum can be created (Bernoulli/Venturi effect) which could draw exhaust gases into the cabin. Because of this extra attention has to be paid to custom exhaust systems, as shortened or relocated tail pipes could create this issue. As I mentioned earlier, thoroughly checking the exhaust would be the first step, next would be to examine the cabin's air intakes, vents,and door and window seals.

Cheers,

Sam

17. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    I stuck my nose over the fuel sender and I think I have found mine. I believe my smell is derived from the sender to tank seal. Smelled like I was sniffing a an open fuel container...that is unless there is another one. That smell is coming from a new old stock tank. Seal is a 10.99 gig from eurospares. Will order mine when I finish this post Good luck!