U2 Pilot Posts In-Flight Photos of Aurora Borealis | FerrariChat

U2 Pilot Posts In-Flight Photos of Aurora Borealis

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, Mar 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Island Time and Bisonte like this.
  2. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Very cool. Someone should show these to the flat earth rocketman. :)

3. Jacob Potts

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Actually, most likely, he would consider photos taken by others that appear to show a curved Earth to be fake. It is to his great credit that he is taking the scientific approach. He is launching himself up high to gather data to support or oppose his thesis.

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    What great images!

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I did not think the lights extended that far down into the atmosphere. Amazing shots.

6. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He looks to be well below them in the pics

Agree. Always a different perspective from the air. Even low level fireworks, which I guess you've seen a few ;) although not the kind I'm referring to.

u2driver likes this.
  7. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Done.
    He did it last week... survived, went to about 1850 ft. He did it before, in the early 2000's also.
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wj7db9/flat-earth-rocket-mad-mike-hughes

8. Bisonte

Bisonte F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Right, but I can drive to a park 20 minutes from here which has an overlook that's nearly that high (~1700 ft.) and sit there all day. No rocket required. :)

I'll give him props for following through, though!

9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My house is at 5419'. Hard to see the curvature of the earth from here. Have seen it several times at 49,500', though.

u2driver likes this.
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I wonder if he has ever thought why he falls to earth after his excursions into "space".

11. Jacob Potts

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    No worries on that account, Bob! Both flat-earthers and round-earthers agree that gravity pulls you back down to earth! ;)

12. Jacob Potts

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Yes, he is adventurous, and rigorous in his scientific approach!

Round earthers and flat earthers have been looking off high mountains and promontories for a long time and they still argue about their theories! :)

I am sure that his first flight does not satisfy him. He will make more, until he can get high enough to prove or disprove his theorem. This is great. This is real science.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

This was his second rocket ride (see post #7 above)... he made it to 1300+ feet the first time.
    Click on the link there.

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    but unfortunately for Hughes his stunt contributes little to the flat earth ‘debate.’ To see the curvature of the Earth you need to reach an altitude of at least 35,000 feet, but this still requires a wide field of view.

15. Jacob Potts

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    That's good to know, thanks!

I am glad Mr. Hughes is doing this: at least he is following the scientific method. I really do hope he gets high enough to get enough data to confirm or deny his thesis.

It seems he is drawing from just his personal resources. This effort of his is worthy of public support, I wish he could get it.

The debate about the shape of the Earth is ongoing and a lot larger than we knew: a recent survey has uncovered that one third of all millenials believe the Earth to be flat. http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2018/04/05/millennials-flat-earth-survey/

16. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The ancient mariners knew that there was a curvature in the earth when using their ship's glass (telescopes). They could see only the tops of the masts and sails of sailing vessels 15 miles or so in the distance. In fact, they had certain sail settings in the top mast to signal to other ships that they were on fire. A drop of a liquid in zero gravity turns into a sphere, like anything else with gravity. Where is the edge of this plate? When the sun sets what does it do, run along under the plate until it gets to the other edge in China? This argument is too stupid to waste time on.

17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    A nit-pick from a ‘science guy’...scientists utilize peer data. The Flat-Earth Guy will not recognize decades of sound, scientific research that has been thoroughly peer-reviewed. He’s proceeding as a skeptic that doesn’t really understand much about science.

The aurora is beautiful science...that I can appreciate. Oh...planes, too. Flat Guy...not so much.

Bisonte likes this.
  18. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If he wants to waste his money, fine. Just as long as he does not use any of folk's money when they know Earth is roughly spherical.

19. u2driver

u2driver Rookie

Jan 22, 2018
    SoCal
    Sorry. Have been off the forums for a bit! He was on a routine mission we fly from Beale to move a jet to another place we go regularly. He knew the conditions and time of year were right to possibly get some great photos of the aurora so he loaded up all his camera equipment to hopefully capture what he saw. They turned out great! He also posted up his photos on the Facebook group he runs of the eclipse last year taken from the jet.

20. Jacob Potts

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    It is not a problem! We know Our Uncle: he can be erratic and has his own priorities!
    Thanks ever so much for the details!