C-130 Crashes in Road in Georgia, USA | FerrariChat

C-130 Crashes in Road in Georgia, USA

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Jacob Potts, May 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
  2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It was from the Puerto Rico Air Guard (unfortunate initials P.R.A.N.G.) and reportedly crashed shortly after takeoff. May the crew members R.I.P.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
  4. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Having seen video of the crash, I have to make a guess at what was filmed that engines 1 & 2 failed in climb out and the airplane rolled left and stalled. I have seen it before.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    RIP Airmen.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I wonder if it had a cargo shift like the one that doomed the 747 in Bagram. The flight profile in the video has some resemblence to that one.

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    She was on her way to Davis-Monthan for retirement, so probably not much cargo. Similar to Bob's thought, I wondered if one of the props reversed. Something really big happened.

8. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/c130-down-near-me.575068/

I started a thread in silver as I live / work near the crash site.

Video from a surveillance camera shows the aircraft going in and people reported the engines "sputtering"..

So perhaps a fuel contamination issue or FOD blocking pumps?

http://www.wtoc.com/story/38094821/officials-confirm-two-dead-in-military-plane-crash-near-savannah

Sad times. My water and power were back on by the time I made it home. Comcast is out due to the fires in the area.

We are very, very lucky it came down on the road in the median (uncontrolled as it was) as there are many things in this area that would not have taken the hit / fires very well.

Sad times. :(

9. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Thanks Bob.
    Just saw the video also... there's a puff of flame from #1 or #2 just as it wings over to the left.

TV station said they radioed an emergency; attempted to return. Perhaps stalled as it turned...as often happens.
    Went straight in almost vertically.

10. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Is there a way to look up all the places this aircraft was stationed over its lifetime?

11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I don't know how a turboprop engine can sputter....surge or compressor stall?

12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So sad, so horrific. I cannot fathom what it was like on that plane seeing the ground rush up as you knew your fate those last few seconds. Prayers for the families.

13. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Apparently was on the ground at Savannah for several days... some sort of maintenance or repair.
    Just before it's parked in the desert?

14. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Great question. We see / hear aircraft low overhead here as we are very close to the runway vectors. Hearing something odd gets most peoples attention as this is not the first aircraft to go down in the area around here.

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    I thought that was odd too: time and money spent one something that is going to be scrapped unless it was to remove stuff per some regulations before going to the glue factory in Arizona. I wonder if any onboard were maintenance crew also? That would be unfortunate since they cannot be interviewed now.

Big mess here for us that live and work in the area. But could have been much worse and I think the Pilot had young children and one on the way?

They have expanded the search areas locally, closed off vast section and had only found remains of 2 so far.

16. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yep.... Not every plane going to AMARG is recycled into beer cans the next week. They have a whole bunch of different categories for aircraft and it could be going into some variety of storage that would mean it's supposed to be ready to fly in X number of days. It still makes sense to repair an aircraft in order to get it to storage. The fact that they were there for several days also doesn't mean a whole lot, it isn't that uncommon to break for days at a time for a part to come in.

donv likes this.
  17. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    They sometimes make a variety of funky noises if you have the misfortune to fly through a bunch of flock of birds.

18. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    MarkPDX, just glad it wasn't you!

19. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Depot maintenance for some C-130s is at Warner-Robins Air Logistic Center, so wonder if she passed through there before going to D-M. I used to pick up F-111s after depot maintenance at McClellan ALC and we always said that was a great way to practice emergencies for real. Last one I picked up had a fuselage fire indication from a hot air duct that was not properly fastened and came loose, spraying hot air all around. We dumped about 15,000 lbs of JP-4 (old days) before bringing her back in with the air source shut off.

Hope something similar did not happen to them.

20. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks, I know that they can barf and bark but never thought of "sputter". Brings up eye witness accounts from the old days when they were sputtering, or on fire, or pilot fighting the controls, or....... The one that got me this time was that "That C-130 pilot was a hero because he guided the airplane away from the buildings".

21. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Yeah.... Me too! I had to send out a bunch of messages as it was being reported initially as one of our weather aircraft.

22. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    You aren't kidding about picking up planes from depot.... Dunno if you have access to safety reports but the situation with the Marine C-130 that crashed a year or so ago in north Mississippi is pretty hair raising.

23. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Sputter may not be quite the right term but they do all sorts of stuff when they eat a few birds, dunno if that is what happened but it's just what comes to mind.

We occasionally have engines choke a bit on water, though turbines can handle a lot of water it can be heavy enough precip going through a hurricane eye wall that they have issues.

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. Jacob Potts

Jacob Potts Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    Pueblo, CO
    Full Name:
    Jacob Potts
    Although something seems strange to me. I had a friend who was a navigator on a C-130. He threaded the needle going to land in Berlin when the Wall was still up. He proclaimed the C-130 the safest plane in the world. He said it was very overpowered: it could fly on one engine, but it had four. If that is true, why would this C-130 fall out of the sky with only two engine out (if that is indeed what happened)?

25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If everything is perfect and you are at altitude with controlled shut-downs of engines, possibly true. Not that I would like to try it. When something bad happens during a critical phase of flight and full of fuel, however, like take-off, much less margin for error.