Tipo de verificação de emissões eles fazem em Portugal? | FerrariChat

Tipo de verificação de emissões eles fazem em Portugal?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Exotic Lambo, Apr 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Exotic Lambo

Exotic Lambo Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    Hello there,
    1-What kind of emissions check do they do in Portugal; do they snif the tail pipes or connect through the OBD II port or both?
    2-Once registered how often do they check on it?

I am taking my US specification 2014 Ferrari FF to Cascais where I will be registering it with Portuguese plates.

The car currently lowered on custom HRE wheels, has IPE test pipes without catalysts, IPE x-pipe and a custom ECU tune.

I will take the OEM catalists and the x-pipe; i already spect to have to re-program the ECU.

Any suggestions?

Olá,
    1-Que tipo de verificação de emissões eles fazem em Portugal? eles snif os tubos de cauda ou se conectam através da porta OBD II ou ambos?
    2-Uma vez registrado com que frequência eles verificam?

Estou a levar a minha especificação US 2014 Ferrari FF para Cascais, onde vou registá-la com placas portuguesas.

O carro atualmente rebaixado em rodas HRE personalizadas, tem tubos de teste IPE sem catalisadores, tubo x IPE e uma melodia ECU personalizada.

Vou levar os catalisadores OEM e o x-pipe; Eu já tenho que reprogramar o ECU.

Alguma sugestão?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    Eu posso falar, ler y escrever Portuguse mais prefiro Inglês.

3. F430Modena

F430Modena F1 Rookie

May 26, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi,

Only snif the emissions on tail pipes.

They check two in two year ( 2020 and 2022) and when your FF makes 8 years old the law says they check one time per year.

Regards,

4. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    How about wheels, suspension?

What is the tolerance or range on the sniff on the tail pipes?

5. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi Gianca,

First of all, congratulations on your gorgeous FF! An FF running on IPEs must be a thing of beauty! Enjoy in good health and I wish you many miles of happiness behind the wheel. Your garage is also very, very nice!

Regarding the questions you asked, I'm no expert on these matters (far from it), but I did my best to search for relevant information regarding car inspections in Portugal. Basically, the car undergoing inspection must be completely original and compliant with its OEM specs. It is of course more complicated than this, but I find this to be good advise for increased peace of mind, and avoid to throw yourself entirely at the mercy/interpretation of the technician who actually does the inspecting.

The Law is sometimes ambiguous, hard to understand and it changes out of the blue, but here's what I came up with:

- If your FF's YOM is 2014, car must be inspected in 2018, 2020, 2022 and on a yearly basis from thereon.

- I'm not sure, but if you're bringing a US-spec car to Portugal and applying for portuguese plates, first of all and foremost, I think you may need a type A inspection (done once in the whole lifetime of the car).

Source: http://www.imt-ip.pt/sites/IMTT/Portugues/Veiculos/Matriculas/VeiculosUsados/Ligeiros/Paginas/MatriculaparaLigeirosUsados.aspx

- Honestly I can't remember if technicians ever connected anything to my OBDII ports, but I think they don't. However, they always "sniff" what comes out of the exhaust pipes. In gasoline/petrol powered cars, they focus on measuring total CO2 emissions and on diesel engines, the opacity of those gases. They also measure how loud the exhaust is, in decibels.

Source: https://controlauto.pt/inspecao-automovel/o-que-inspecionamos/emissoes-de-co2

- I also don't know if they'll frown at the fact that your FF is lowered:

Source: https://controlauto.pt/inspecao-automovel/o-que-inspecionamos/sistema-suspensao

One thing that may actually work to your advantage is that there are so few Ferrari per capita in Portugal, most technicians have never seen nor inspected one, so they'll have a tough ol' time looking for the right specs and parameters your car needs to obey :D (not so much regarding modern Ferraris, but still).

I'd recommend bringing with you absolutely every document and piece of information you have regarding the car, the purchase of the car, your personal documents and every OEM part you have.

Should you require further assistance, we'll be more than happy to help!

Kindest regards,

Nuno.

P.S.: You're going to love Cascais. One of the best places in Portugal to properly enjoy a Ferrari drive!

Exotic Lambo and MDEL like this.
  6. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Nuno that's a great piece of advice. Concerning the inspection type A you mentioned and that I went through already twice with different Ferraris, if you please let me I would add the following recommendation. Because on this inspection they do quite a lot of checking like for instance the engine numbers, which in the case of my F12 was so hidden that took almost 20 minutes to discover, What I would suggest to Gianca is that he hires someone like for instance the agency Import My Car to help with the paperwork and in the eventuality of any complication arising during the inspection. I've always done that and I presume you've done it too with the last Ferrari you imported. They book the inspection in a center that they are familiar with and know the inspectors and send someone to help with all the procedures and eventual bureaucracies. The total price I paid for their services for a complete import process involving all the paperwork ,including the assistance with the inspection, making the payment to customs, registering the car and getting the new plate number, it was less than 500 Euros and IMO worth every penny.

Kind regards

Mario

7. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Very Wise words!

Considering all the work involved and the assistance provided by the agency, I'd say they have a very fair fare. Mind that I have no affiliation with the agency, but know something about these matters and have known/dealt with some agencies before.

It's not a difficult process, but surely is a hassle and time consuming one.

Good luck! And welcome :D

8. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Dear Mário,

You're absolutely right, I completely forgot to mention that. I think that's the best advise and recommendation possible: hand over the case to experts in dealing with these matters. I've also dealt with Importmycar and from a consumer's standpoint, I was extremely pleased: their fees are very affordable and competitive, they're very quick and thoughtful. They're used to deal with such proceedings, things that were very complicated and time-consuming for me, they handled everything, had all the trouble, guided me every step of the way, answered my every questions and doubts, and I just collected the documents in the end, and had my car completely legal and roadworthy without hassle, worries and/or further complications. It's indeed something IMHO you should at least consider.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Exotic Lambo and MDEL like this.
  9. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    Thank you all so very much, I was not expecting such welcoming from the Portuguese Ferraristas.
    I am working with a gentleman name Jose Carlos Sanches from a company name AutoDoc.pt which has quoted me about E900 per car. I am taking two or potentially 4 cars if they let me but currently dealing with the length of time that I have own them on my personal name in the USA.

If the FF does not meet the Portuguese guidelines I would be taking my Maserati GT-S.

Cheers,

Giancarlo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    You have a very nice stable Giancarlo :D

I have no references about the chap who is working with you, maybe our helpfull members from the capital could give more assistance.

IIRC, if you are moving in to Portugal (to make it your "official", i.e. fiscal residence here) you are only exempt of the tax (ISV) for just one vehicle. It must be registered on your behalf for at least six months on your previous resident country.

Other than that, you can register the other cars but without the tax exemption, in wich case the amount to pay will depend pretty much on engine size and CO2 emissions. On the FF's case, you would need to pay 66.547,78€ (for a 6262 CC engine and 380 gr CO2). For the GT Sport, it should be around 54.880,32€ (for a 4691 CC engine and 360 gr CO2).

I must add that every car that comes from outside the EU is due an additional tax (IVA) calculated over the value of the vehicle, plus the shipping and insurance and ISV (the value shown above). Our IVA (or VAT for you ;)) is currently 23%.

11. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    MAPS,
    This is where it stops making sense to take any other car outside of the Baggage Certificate; you are right on point on your ISV and VAT numbers on both cars so I have been told.
    Another option that I am exploring is to bring two of the cars within the certificate of baggage and possible some more cars (I haven't decided which) as pleasure cars which after paying a bond and VAT I could keep them in PT for 12 months to then ship them back out. It is kind of a short solution but rather that that pay thousands of Euros in importing fees.

1-Have you hear of such option, pleasure driving for 12 months?
    2-Also I have been told that the PT law has changed, i have to own the cars on my name for 6 months and have 12 months to registered them in PT. Have you heard any of this?
    3-I also want to take my aluminium trailer to transport the car say to the track or some mountain driving yet I wonder if it's worth it. What do you think that is worth in Portugal?

I thank you once again for your helpful guidance, I am dealing with multiple companies and embassies at the same time, although for the most part the information is the same some seem to contradict themselves...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 4440576

Attached Files:

12. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Gianca, first I need to advise that I am NOT a broker nor affiliated with any agency and all the knowledge I have related to these matters is from personal past experience and interest in automobiles in general and are not intended to add confusion.

Indeed, a car enthusiast in Portugal has many fiscal burdens:mad:

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

1) If by pleasure cars you mean, for example, a track car (that is only used on private roads or private property and not intended for issuing of licence plates), then yes, you are exempt, other than that, I can't imagine what is the legal concept of "Pleasure car" is;

2) Yes, this is what I am aware too (it changed with this year's State Budget Law), but I would advise a word of caution because the exemption is only given to the same person once in ten years (after the isuing of the portuguese plates for one car);

3) I honestly can't evaluate the value of your trailer, but I have seen some similar (double-wheel and up to 2.7t ) listed for sale (new and used) and vary from 1500€ to nigh on 6000€.

As for the contradictions, well, there are always some institutions that "don't get the memmo" at the same time and one can become overwhelmed quite easily (even for us, nativeso_O).

You have exquisite taste with your rides:cool:

13. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    MAPS,
    I know of friends in the USA that take their cars to EU to drive for a period of time as pleasure with USA plates on them. They usually ship them to Rotterdam, Netherlands and drive down to Switzerland/Italy area. When I was speaking with Jose at AutoDoc.pt he agreed that this could be do in PT as well but asked me to refer rather to the custom company.

Thanks again MAPS, I will report back once I clear out the doubts.

Cheers!

14. MAPS

MAPS Karting

Jan 13, 2017
    Porto, Portugal
    Full Name:
    Marco Silva
    Learning everyday!

If it is doable, then I guess this could be the way forward since I believe it wouldn't be necessary any modifications to comply with EU regulations...

Please do report back, I would love to know, really. And if I can be of assistance, let me know!

Cheers:cool:

15. Exotic Lambo

Aug 15, 2011
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Gianca
    Sure will, obrigado.

16. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Marco, thanks for taking the time and sharing your insight, that's extremely helpful and valuable info!

Giancarlo, asking for information from a public office in Portugal is tricky sometimes, once often the information you get is contradictory and conflicting. However, if you've enlisted the help and service of a company that deals with such matters, you should be fine. Hope everything works out and keep us posted!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

MAPS likes this.