348 speciale owners gather here! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

348 speciale owners gather here!

Discussion in '348/355' started by MDshore348, Jan 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    It would have been in mid 2013 when my dad was actively interested in it. I imagine that the work at Bradan (from my link) would have been well after your ownership as well.

Definitely a very special and good looking 348SS.

2. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Tire size is the same as the regular 348. But most of us fit 18" wheels from either the 355 or 360. I'm running 235x40x18 front/275x40x18 rear. You can go much wider if you like. I think Plugzit is running 315's on the rear mounted on 18" Challenge wheels.

Chupacabra likes this.
  3. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    My 348ts falls pretty close after SS#36 in the VIN range. It’s 94453 and mine is 94472. Mine’s not an SS but I found it interesting that it falls somewhere in the middle of the SS range.

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I'm running 285x35x18 in the rear (challenge wheels) and it works very well. The wider rear together with the Challenge springs really sharpen the handling, but the ride is not for wimps :)

5. TnJed

TnJed Karting

Apr 20, 2015
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Eric Griffin
    We have number 81. 24k miles. ZFFRG36A1P0095619

[​IMG]

boat3 and jjmalez like this.
  6. PeteyDaddy

PeteyDaddy Karting

May 25, 2017
    jjmalez likes this.
  7. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    Beautiful SS TnJed! Price seems great too. Checked it out on your site. Beautiful pics. One thing jumps out at me tho - front wheels are on the wrong sides.

jjmalez likes this.
  8. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    There was a black SS/TS at caffeine and exotics this morning in atlanta. I didn't get to catch up with the owner.

sjd

9. TnJed

TnJed Karting

Apr 20, 2015
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Eric Griffin
    Thanks! That looks terrible. lol.

10. boat3

boat3 Karting

Nov 29, 2015
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Larry
    NP, just helpin a brother out.

11. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
  12. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
  13. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That has so much going for it and going against it, depending on what you'd hope to achieve.

If you want an awesome driver, I'd suggest buying it, capitalizing on the recent service and 57,000 vetted miles, and enjoying the hell out of it. Enter it in local shows, blast around your neighborhood, etc. Then help out the concours set by selling off all your SS specific stuff. Sell your seats for $7k plus adequate replacements from a 348/355. Sell your grill and taillights to someone with an SS in need. All that can subsidize your purchase.

If you desire a fully realized SS and want to save #14 of 100, recognize you have to deal with a lot of stuff to bring this up to snuff: change out the Tubi for stock, ditch the 360 wheels for the proper 348 ss/Spyder setup, fix the holes in the front from the license plate mount, restore the proper front grill instead of that chrome-look piece, and likely have a boatload of $$ invested in paint correction for that driven-hard-put-away-wet black exterior.

This will definitely sell at that price. The question is whether the ranks of remaining "proper" Serie Speciale will raise or lower in the aftermath.

14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It does say the factory wheels are included so that would be one step towards putting it right.

15. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    #115 ///Mike, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    I can't imagine why that car has not sold yet. Only thing I can think of is that it isn't pictured wearing the OE wheels, but as you say they're included with the car. The grill is an easy fix but I suspect it's not helping generate interest. The Tubi is a massive upgrade over stock, so certainly no reason to change it. Not hard to find an OE single can to keep around for originality's sake. Being a Canadian spec SS is also a plus since there weren't many of those and they have the "normal" style seat belts.

I keep thinking this is a screaming deal. The mileage is nothing-- the best running 348s are the ones that are driven. i hope the car finds its way to an enthusiast owner. No way should the SS specific parts be sold off-- it's a special car and it should be treated as such.

Edit: as I'm sure you can tell, the front plate is clamped to the grill. Doesn't look like any extra holes drilled, but even if there are the bumper is fiberglass and an easy fix. The finish looks fine in the higher res pics I've collected of that car. For the low entry fee you'd still have an SS for a great price, even after powder coating the grill black and cleaning it up a bit. Selling the 360 wheels would cover that. :)

16. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I think that black SS is worth putting back to reality--a bit of grille paint and some proper wheels (those black/silver 360 wheels look horrible) and it's got at least a leg up. I also think it's very interesting that it's a Canadian car with proper seat belts. If I were a US buyer, I would seriously consider this car. And I agree in no way should the SS parts be sold separately from the car. The car may look horrible with those two main mods (the silver grille and the terrible wheels) but both of those are easily fixed and you'd be surprised how much of a difference they would make in the presentation.

I'd be surprised if the seats were originally black with the crema interior and black carpets. I could be wrong of course, but they should be crema in my mind to match the other parts of the interior. Certainly the carpets were orderable in different colors and black was a common option. And whats' with the headrests?

Personally, it's getting to the point where I'd choose a euro GTS/GTB over any of the SS cars (again..the seats would be the only thing desirable in my mind).

17. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    See? All the responses that the seats MUST remain with the car demonstrate their desirability.

Thus, a buyer could easily flip them to someone with a lower mileage, better condition SS who wants to restore originality, as I did a couple years back...;)

The best part is, it's up to the new owner to decide, but anyone considering it should recognize the point of entry is much lower if they are good with a socket wrench...

18. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I’m just saying the only reason to consider an SS is the seats. Everything else, meh.

19. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think you’re right, they look like they have been redone and someone thought embossing that huge ugly Ferrari logo was a good idea. Probably another thing steering buyers away. If I bought it it would end up spending money to get the seats redone again without that.