New lift and of course a project. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

New lift and of course a project.

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Freerange72, Nov 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    So i took off a couple of days this week to get my CV boots replaced. Had to cut off two bolts.... which was easier than I thought it would be. Found a replacement curved washer for 6 bucks. Now this..... i am assuming that this is the cause for the inner CV boot tearing in the first place. Repair or replace? In Birdmans helpn guide his look a little misshapen, but not this severe. Thoughts? Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2. JimboMondial

JimboMondial Karting

Dec 26, 2005
    Portsmouth UK
    Full Name:
    Jim
    It's very soft metal just make it round again with a curved former (round bit of wood) and a hammer.

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X50F using Tapatalk

Freerange72 likes this.
  3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Yes it is a very soft metal so no problem to do the wood and hammer thing. I bent mine during the process of cleaning up the grease, the unit is heavy so even just putting it down a bit abruptly will deform the collar.

It is possible the old (non-oem) retaining band was cinched so tight it cut the rubber and deformed the collar, but more likely just bent during all the comotion during the uninstall.

Freerange72 likes this.
  4. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    The collar deformation can't really be 100% avoided. Even putting the car on jacks risks doing this, as the half-shafts (without the weight of the car to keep them nearly horizontal) will angle/bend down to the point they are touching/bending the collar inside the boot. Basically it's an original design flaw.

Identical new ones are nearly impossible to find. You can either use the ones for the 328 (similar, but different) or pull out a hammer and form it back into place. But as noted, even new ones will get bent eventually.

Freerange72 likes this.
  5. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Hey freerange can you remove the engine and trans with the quick jack?
    I’m between the quick jack or Maxjax I can’t decide.

6. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    I have not tried. I did get the extentions with plans to do so in future. I think i have to lift it up and put it on jack stands, then add the extensions. I got the suv extension.

7. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Ok thanks. You happy with the QuickJack overall?

8. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    So far. It is alot heavier than I thought it would be. But it seems to work well and set up was pretty easy. Have you checked out YouTube videos to see what you get?

JLF likes this.
  9. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Yea just started watching some last night

10. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I have the same lift for my Mondial -85. A bit heavy as Donnie says, but when you are under the car it feels kind of ok. I would be worried if it was too light.... I have the 12V version and it works great. Lifts very fast, no problem with just 12V.
    /Peter

JLF likes this.
  11. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks Peter

12. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    That's just the stamped piece that the boot clamps onto, right? If so then it's no big deal as long as the boot clamps tightly. Toyota MR2's have a similar inner joint design and I have done about 200 of those.

Aaron

Freerange72 likes this.
  13. Freerange72

Freerange72 Karting

May 22, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Donnie
    Aaron, you are correct. It is and I have been using a 2.5 diameter dowel rod and mallet to get into a "more" round shape. As someone commented before, the previous clamp may have been responsible for the deformity.

14. Nuno Andrade

Nuno Andrade Karting

Aug 24, 2019
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Nuno Andrade
    Thorn, do you have the reference of this tool?

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Nuno Andrade and WATSON like this.