Too nice to put on the car | FerrariChat

Too nice to put on the car

Discussion in '348/355' started by SeattleM5, Apr 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Weather has great in Seattle the past few days which has been a great motivator to get this engine out completed on the 355 so I can start driving it again.

These arrived from FedEx a few days ago, . . . very impressed with the quality. I kind of want to hang them on the shop wall they look so nice! A couple of years ago I had purchased one of the last sets of rebuilt 5.2 manifolds that Ricambi was offering (the JP exhaust versions) with plans to put them on the car during this major service but I ended up going with the Tubi's instead as I wasn't all that excited with fitment of the others. If anyone is interested in a brand new set of rebuilt JP exhaust 355 5.2 manifolds at a really good price let me know.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Yassa and RandyT like this.
  2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree! They look like a piece of art work.:)

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    IMO, the best option for a 355!

INTMD8 and Yassa like this.
  4. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    . . . and they're on.

New gaskets and nuts followed by a little bit of contortion for those upper nuts and the job is complete. The M8 x 1.25 nuts call for 18 ft/lb of torque but you can only use a torque wrench on the lower nuts so the uppers had to be done by feel.

MAD828 likes this.
  5. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    When I took the original exhaust manifolds off I found that my motor mounts were shot. Not good, . . . especially for an F1 car. I wasn't experiencing any shifting problems prior to pulling the engine but upon further inspection, the actuator arm was very close to hitting the sub-frame cross member. I replaced the motor mounts (as well as the transmission mounts) and fabricated some heat shields to hopefully extend their life a bit. These are made out of 0.06" stainless sheet with ultra high temp ceramic insulation (max temp 2300 deg F) riveted to the underside. Made some for the transmission mounts as well given that they see a fair bit of heat directly under the cats. I'm really hoping that this is the last set of motor/transmission mounts I have to replace!

MAD828 likes this.
  6. 1taliantrash

1taliantrash Karting
    BANNED

Dec 30, 2017
    You might have also torqued the uppers by eyeballing the studs on the lowers, looks like a tiny bit more stud protruding through the lower nut than the above one on the left side of the manifold

7. rennspeed

rennspeed Formula Junior
    BANNED

Oct 4, 2007
    Full Name:
    Rennspeed
    nicely done!

SeattleM5 likes this.
  8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The stud length is not a precision tolerance.

And, looks awesome, Ettore :)

SeattleM5 likes this.
  9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Agreed. Use the torque wrench where you can and get a feeling for the resistance. Then do the nuts where you cannot use the torque wrench and apply the same effort. You generally have a 5 + or - tolerance. As you may know with header/exhaust manifold bolts or nuts, too little torque and the buggers will leak; too much and they will break, which I guess is worse.

10. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Excellent work! The headers are beautiful and your heatshield solution is well executed!

SeattleM5 likes this.
  11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Dave rocks likes this.
  12. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Good point, however, turns out that most lateral upper exhaust manifold nut (the one in the photo with less stud protrusion) actually has the same torque applied as the lower one. That particular upper nut is the only one that you can actually get a torque wrench on (I used a smaller 3/8 in drive torque wrench with a swivel joint extension).

13. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Here's a photo of those rebuilt manifolds by JP Exhaust in the UK that I ended up not using. Even though they were new I smoke tested them for the hell of it and as expected, they tested fine. I'll get an ad up in the classifieds in next few days but if anyone here is interested I plan on selling them for less than 1/2 the original asking price when Ricambi was doing the exchange. I'll post up more details in the ad but the thing that I didn't like about them was the fitment on the studs. I think this relates to the fact that when they refinish the manifolds they appear to resurface the flanges which results in the loss of the countersink for the holes.

14. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

The Capristos really look great. Who did you purchase them from? Do they negotiate on the price at all?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Not Capristo - Tubi.

16. Buzzl

Buzzl Formula Junior

17. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Not sure where the best place to purchase is but I chose to buy these from Eurospares in the UK. Ordered them on Thursday evening and they were on my door step Monday morning.

Sent from my SM-G900V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Do heatshields on the OEM manifolds have drain holes? I'm trying to understand how the smoke test, as shown in the photo, would pick up holes in the exhaust pipes allowing leaks into the heatshield cavity.

19. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

The factory heat shields were tack welded and crimped in place, but certainly not air tight. The rebuilt manifolds re-use the original heat shield that is cut open on the crimped seam during rebuild, then (re)tacked into place, but has plenty of 'open' sections between the tacks where smoke could escape during the test.

SeattleM5 and Qavion like this.
  20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have you smoked tested the original manifolds? The ones you took off the car?

21. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    SeattleM5 / Ettore . Sir. Would you be willing to sell a set of those gorgeous heat shields?

22. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Yes sir, the originals were smoke tested and scoped. The good news was that no discernible leak was detected with the smoke test, the bad news is that there was noticeable inner tube distortion noted on several of the tubes on both manifolds (the 1-4 bank was worse than the 5-8 bank).

For anyone thinking about testing their manifolds I would highly recommend doing both tests using the following algorithm: Start with a smoke test as it's easy to do and if positive you're done. You know the manifold has failed and needs to be replaced. If the smoke test is negative, use a fiber optic scope to examine for inner tube distortion that would signal impending failure.

Dave rocks likes this.
  23. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks for the inquiry, I'd consider it down the line once I get this car done as well as a few other projects in the shop that need to be completed. Making those things took quite a bit of time.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I smoke test my headers every spring. I have a bore scope and was thinking about taking a look with it this year. I'll be doing a major in 2 years so I hope I don't have to do headers until then. EI suspect I will do Tubis.

25. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    It's funny you posted this Ettore- I literally just put Tubi headers on my 355, AND I also got them from Eurospares!! AND I have a 2002 M5- obviously great minds think alike (or we are both idiots and think alike :p)

Here are my tubis installed (I have hyperflow cats and a Tubi muffler). The OEM headers I took off look like they are in nice shape...how many miles on your 355?

You are right, these Tubi's have excellent construction...I wanted to "complete" my exhaust system for a while, but these things are expensive so had to wait a little..

-Andrew
    View attachment 2535806 Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files: