Removing Injector Lines from Injectors | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Removing Injector Lines from Injectors

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gialllo uno, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Kenny and Vincenzo, thank you for the advice and help. I am being patient.....maybe i have finally learned something after 56 years....My issue seems to be getting the lines off the injector itself....just afraid to put to much torque on it and possibly do injury to the line. One thing always leads to another and I do enjoy the struggle....to a degree. Thanks Again Marco

2. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Once you get the injector out of the hole just loosen it with a wrench on its top while holding on to the top nut with another wrench. Did someone use Blue thread sealer or something before? Mine just slid out of their holes and unscrewed without much fuss when I did it?

3. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Well, I can say I went back out and used a new product from NAPA, CRC Knock'er Loose, which they said they thought was a knock off of the Kroil, which I should have ordered when Vicenzo told me about it. I sprayed fuel lines 10 thru 12 Top and also tried to spray from underneath where the Fuel Line nut connects to the injector. I was able to break all 3 free. I can see that the injectors look rusty. They are Bosch and I can see the part number on the side 0437502047.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you may change to brass injectors

5. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano..........as the great one once said..................."Your wish is my command"!!!! Trying to take off the lower portion of the intake cylinders 10-12, where it bolts to the head and it looks like it won't come off without removing a water line / housing by cylinder 10 and to get to one of the 3 bolts it looks like you need to remove part of the manifold air intake. I have all the nuts and washers removed and was careful to make sure I had the all. When I try to pull off the lower intake it hits the water housing. I will post pictures. Thanks Marco

6. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
  7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    right mark,
    but why do you want to remove the manifold? gasket not ok? to remove the injectors it is no need to remove the manifolds.
    I would remove the manifold with the next engine out service

8. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Romano, I was thinking that it would giove a better view / inspection of the inserts that the injector sits in? I know you are obviously much more versed / accomplished in this than me. I just wanted to do an excellent job while I had it all apart. I agree it would definetly be easier to leave it alone although I have disturbed the drivers side already.?? Maybe I need to rethink it a bit and not over analyze it??? Marco

9. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That was give a better view.

10. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What about the o-rings at the bottom of the insert? Should I leave the O-Rings alone as I am relatively sure you can't replace them with removing the lower intake ? Marco

11. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #36 vincenzo, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    consider building a puller rather than removing the manifold.

- place a tube over the injector bushing which rests against the manifold only (PVC sch40 pipe would be a good choice)
    - thread a short female collar over the injector
    - thread a rod down your pvc pipe into the new injector collar
    - drop a fender washer over your rod to rest on top of your pvc pipe
    - run a nut down your rod - once it contacts your fender washer any additional torque will pull your injector out

Hopefully the injector/bushing will come out as a single unit. Be sure to remove the circlip before pulling.

Assuming you plan on replacing the injectors - - a few light to moderate taps with a hammer/dowel on the top of the injector will help to jar loose any corrosion. Protect the threads for your puller by threading a nut over the injector before the hammer comes out. Don’t beat the #$@& out of it!

12. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  13. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #39 vincenzo, Apr 25, 2018
    Once the bushing is out, replacing all three o-rings is easy.

I would avoid pulling your manifold - it is a last resort.

Get a heat gun and blast the manifold around the bushing.

Kroil, heat, jarring, pulling works. Multiple (heat, jar, pull, cool) cycles will get it.

14. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Vincenzo, I appreciate it and think that is really the way to go. I have new inserts and new injectors and new o-rings for the injectors. I bought an assortment of O-Rings in a 2 different package deals that are Green and Purple O-Rings. It looks like the green are probably a better choice. Tried to look at the specs for the two to see if there was a real difference. I am taking your advice and will see where it takes me. I appreciate it. Be slow and Patient Marco!!!!! Thanks Again

15. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Vincenzo, What is stopping the puller from just pulling the injector out of the bushing / sleeve and leaving the bushing / sleeve in the manifold? Thanks Marco

16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    #42 vincenzo, Apr 25, 2018
    nothing... it is a concern. I would assume that your corrosion induced seize is between the dissimilar metals (steel injector/ aluminum bushing). Fingers crossed for luck.

pulling the ‘empty’ bushing out could be a real problem. I know of no easy solution and would at that point likely start considering that the manifold needs to be pulled.

perhaps use a collar (pvc pipe?) to transfer hammer impacts to ‘just’ the bushing.... get that bond loose before pulling on the injector itself. Heat/hammer/ oil/ cool/ repeat.

hopefully somebody out there has a solution....

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the thick O-rings you may buy from a VW dealer, not even 10 % of the price than F
    or go to a bosch dealer, but don´t tell that you need them for a F :)

18. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you already removed one side then of course you may do the other side also

19. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So I had the 7 thru 9 manifold already removed and I guess I had so much penetrating products sitting in the bushing hole with the injector that once I got the cir clips out they really for the most part came out pretty easy. Not corroded at all. I put them in an ultrasonic cleaner with heat....and they look pretty darn good. Those cir clips are a pita. Maybe I need a better remover. Didn't have good luck on the ones still in the car. It just keeps slipping off. Really need one with hooked points to hold the cir clip.

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  21. Gialllo uno

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I bought mine at NAPA.......cause I couldnt find my pair..................that I bought at NAPA ages ago.........the tips just keep slipping out of the cir clip........irratating!!!

Thanks Vincenzo

22. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah I had some interchangeable tip snap ring pliers from the local auto parts store and they sucked too. I ended up getting a dedicated (non-interchangeable tip) pair at home Depot! And they worked great.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

23. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    more info please:
    Brand?
    Model?
    Pic?

24. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT