The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 194 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I agree. I don't like being pessimistic either; it feels awful. But it is what it is.

2. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I can't believe it has been 5 1/2 years since his accident. I have mixed feelings on what to think at this point. However, I'm staying positive. Miracles do happen...

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    This quote tells you all you need to know. Anyone who has spent any time with people with injuries like Michael's understands precisely what this means.

375+ likes this.
  4. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sad, but true.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    60 minutes or someone really needs to do a major investigation and story on this.

6. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    This is similar to Christopher Reeve. He never recovered because it wasn't really physically possible. The fact that Schumacher is being hidden away for years says everything. If he was really recovering then why hide his condition for this long. I was optimistic for a couple of years after the accident but then my interest began to wane as it became clear that a hospital unit was being built on his property and the public was absolutely 100% barred from access to information. The family would rather protect the legacy and dignity of Schumacher's champion image than to have him become a tabloid mockery by showing the horrific photos of his current state.

G. Pepper likes this.
  7. Ryan...

Ryan... Karting

Nov 9, 2012
    WI
    That's probably exactly what the family doesn't want to happen..
    Michael may be a sports legend and hero to many here, but now his family is in charge of all decisions tied to him, and they've made it abundantly clear by their actions how they want this situation handled; privately.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Which I think arguably is angering fans and tainting his legacy. I understand not wanting tabloids, but hiding him has actually created more fodder for tabloids than just offering the truth, early on they should have said he’s 100% unresponsive and most likely will never recover, if that changes we’ll tell you.

9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I haven't really noticed media talking about him anymore as time has passed on. The only time I hear about anything is when I see this thread bump.

A 60 minutes type of deal would be a huge invasion of privacy imo.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    And being open about what's happening, will just create constant news articles or outrage of ''what really should be done''.

lorenzobandini and VisualHomage like this.
  11. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I don´t know why people expect to be given updates...Obviously there is nothing to be report...
    You do not need too much fantasy to imagine what his current state is. Is this the "picture or it did not happen" mentality???

12. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The sad fact is Michael is almost certainly gone. Certainly some biological tissue remains, but the being that was Michael is likely no longer present.

I honestly believe Corinna is doing what she feels is best for herself, her family, and Michael's memory. Little good will come from public release of photo's of Michael or his medical records. Medical records are private for good reason.

Remembering Michael as he was (or better) puts a smile on my face. Seeing a photo of Michael today would bring tears to my eyes.

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I agree. Same here.

Honestly, no one cares about F1 or Schumacher outside of a minority within a minority within the car culture. Most car enthusiasts don't even care about F1. A 60 Minutes piece, although interesting, perhaps, to the average watcher, would be exactly what the family abhors. The family is sending a clear message, with a 100% blackout, about their right to privacy.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    There has NEVER been an update though, it going this long is proof there should have been an initial update long long time ago and then there wouldn't be anything since. The fact they never gave an initial update created all those crap tabloid type reports up until just 1-2 years ago that gave you fans some false hope.

Patrick Dixon and VisualHomage like this.
  15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, maybe you are right. I'm just thinking what I think I want and deserve, which is obviously different than most of the public and especially his family.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    What is there to update? Isn't it obvious? He sustained massive head injury. The central nervous system cannot regenerate itself like other organs can. Strokes and trauma lead to permanent damage. He is done. Just typing this is incredibly sad. The last thing I want is to see photos of this. I already deal enough with this at work at the hospital and don't want to spend my free time with it too.

17. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Good point ^^^

18. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    What do you think you deserve, and why?

19. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m surprised (or even skeptical) that he’s still alive.

It’s hard to survive five years of inactivity and atrophy.

Matt

tifoso2728 and 375+ like this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not obvious, where has the family posted this? reading this thread for years general theme and hope from beginning was that he might be recovering slowly and the family just wanted a black out until he was far enough along. yes people are giving up on that now, but because of the black out there were false hopes these years that was the case.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    people that choose the public figure lifestyle and develop a fan base for profit owe some respect to the fan base. Giving false hopes to that fan base is disrespectful.

22. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I'll admit it. I've given up completely that we'll ever see Michael Schumacher alive again. I also don't blame the Schumacher family for not giving out information. That's their prerogative.

Oengus, Lotaz, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  23. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    I asked a Brazilian friend of mine to take a look at the video (my Portuguese is very very bad).

This is what she said:

"Rubens has no news about Schumacher. He will try to visit him, but the first time he tried, his family denied. He underwent surgery and while sedated he spoke Schumacher’s name, but mentioned it in a spiritual way."

No news, unfortunately...

SPEEDCORE likes this.
  24. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Michael chose to be a race car driver. Becoming a public figure and developing a fan base were merely a consequence of that of him being good at his trade. He doesn't owe the fans anything.

25. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    I agree, I am a huge fan of Michael and the Schumacher family owes me nothing. They are suffering enough, why would anyone belive they owe them something is beyond me. People need to get over themselves and give the family some respect and privacy.

///Mike, G. Pepper, Jakuzzi and 2 others like this.