P1 Market crashing? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

P1 Market crashing?

Discussion in 'McLarenChat.com' started by FerrariF50lover, Mar 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Agree, ABS is definitely hard to justify going without...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

frefan likes this.
  2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I think, market aside, the P1 would be my choice of the three. In talking to owners it’s just an absolute blast to drive and the speed is still far above a 720 when on it despite what the reviews say. Again, just what I’m told. I’ve driven a 720 but never a P1.

3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes but they cannot mass produce it. I really believe in Tesla and think they're going to succeed bigly but the issue Tesla is running into is battery production, not demand. Tesla has a waiting list of 500k+ for its model 3. So Porsche can build the coolest Mission 3 ever, but the concept that we are constrained on supplies to mass produce electric cars is the issue. Believe me I'd love to see the end of the gasoline engine as much as anyone, but physically, its just not possible until battery technology evolves which I assume happens sooner rather than later.

4. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    It may be that Porsche does not even want to mass prodice it currently. Maybe it is better to build anticipation and wait until the technology becomes more practical.

Tesla may have a waiting list but unfortunately they lose money on every car they sell. I imagine Porsche (or anyone else) would have a large waiting list if they were willing to lose money on every car they sell.

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And Tesla throws their cars together so cheaply. A thing Porsche could never justify doing.

LARRYH and galt like this.
  6. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Tesla may lose money on every car they sell, but they make it up on volume seriously they got problems

7. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    Very interesting post. Enjoyed that.

Manda racing likes this.
  8. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014

9. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
  10. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    It only works that way in Kalifornia, where they have to put signs about spilled water, transgender bathrooms and cancerous coffee. There really should be a sign that there is a sign, somebody could trip on that!

11. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    That's funny

12. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I was driving P1 today and its really an insane car. It has the drama/sounds of the 675 (more), the speed of the 720S and looks like an alien. I know the factory is working on a 2.0 upgrade which replace battery with a smaller & lighter one and new TC software from the 720 and senna developments. So as crazy as the p1 is now, I look forward to the future developments too. As far as the battery goes, mines been solid but the warranty is 7 years and there will be a newer battery by then anyways so I'm not worried about it.

13. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    P1 is simply epic and McLaren has always taken care of their customers who buy their flagship cars. It was always my favorite amongst the 918 and LaFerrari, the fastest by many metrics, and by far the rarest. It is currently worth 2-3x its MSRP and over time I see no reason why its value would not remain stable or further increase. I'd buy one if I could.

I'm sure the v2.0 high voltage system will increase power and/or capacity while saving weight, likely it will be a derivative of the unit developed for the BP23. That along with the (fantastic) electronics and software from the 720S/Senna should keep the P1 very fresh. The car still looks amazing five years after being introduced, and has the best rear wing system ever designed.

14. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    VW just announced they are paying and installing electric charging stations in every kmart .
    Since they own everything, this is the true beginning of full blown electric.
    Jaguar will introduce the all electric F pace AND NEW XJ series all electric by years end.
    Looks like they were right, just another 6 years or so, most will be driving electric.
    Sooooo theres hope for a p1 battery, just don't step in a puddle before you plug it in ; )
    Joking buy not really as all the above wont have a plug but a square box to transfer the juice...
    Having fun!
    GTJOEY1314

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Can Mclaren update the infotainment system in the P1 to be this generation?

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    While I cant say for sure, if you connect the dots I think the next hybrid tech wont have a battery at all. No charger, no charging station, no static electric charge. Its not an electric car after all, and wont drive on battery alone (since there isnt one).

17. ekovalsky

ekovalsky Karting

Jun 17, 2017
    Arizona & Montana
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Are you referring to graphene supercapacitors ? Those are a very interesting technology since they have minimal weight and can charge/discharge far faster than batteries. So they're ideal for short term boost situations, as in torque fill during gear changes and while boost is building if there are turbochargers. But overall capacity is extremely limited compared to a battery, so these vehicles will rely almost entirely on gasoline for range and power. While it won't replace cars like the Tesla, it might well be ideal for ultra high performance supercars where short bursts of extra power and minimal weight are primary considerations.

This technology seems at least 5-10 years away from production cars, unfortunately.

18. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    You might be right there, but thats just 1 model year in the grand scheme of things. Plus theres the combining of these technologies LION+VO to bridge the gap that is going on. Not to mention all the money pouring in (Tesla, among others), so I hope its closer to 5 years than 10.

19. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    galt likes this.
  20. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    #70 galt, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    I think you have a good point. It could he closer than we think.

There is big potential for advancement relative to the petrol engine. Especially with respect to how those advancements may result in more exciting sports cars. Although "batteries" have been around a long time we are relatively early in the innovation cucle of people investing heavy in alternatives for power. Predicting when big innovations will happen is obviously difficult, but the problem is being hit very hard by research and there are so many facets of the problem that can be improved (storage, lifecycle, density, recharge tech). In fact you have Tesla, a company that is willing to lose a massive amount of money to do something with this technology. Obviously not sustainable in the long run. But there will be acceleration did to this in my view. On top of that the efficiency of research is extremely high compared to 30 years ago due to fluid based information sharing and computing power.

For the petrol engine, the advancements we are likely to see, in my view, are incremental improvements in efficiency. That is great, but they are probably things that won't really make the engine "more exciting" for drivers of street used sports cars. Things like improvednturbos variable compression etc.

21. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
  22. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    P1 LM simply exists because the rich owners of p1 gtr's wanted to drive them on the road and also a few upgrades, LM is capable of doing so and enjoy making money

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  23. vectorfiles

vectorfiles Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    MCLAREN P1 ON MONACO GP TRACK WITH MIKA HÄKKINEN | NICO ROSBERG

24. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

I once owned an F-50. I have done the driving experience at several NASCAR venues. I have been in the "right seat" while professionals drove me around a track (which was amazing); I have been driven in Porsche GT2 at Silverstone by a well-known driver.

The F-50 was the most incredible experience I have ever had. I once had a pro drive me in the F-50 and I nearly **** my pants.

I appreciate that the 488 may have some electronic gizmos which provide it a performance edge, but I would not use the word "demolish."

But you can;t escape this . . . the F-50 has soul and pedigree which is not found on the 488.

25. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    wait, what?