Can you trade in a high-mileage vehicle with CEL? | FerrariChat

Can you trade in a high-mileage vehicle with CEL?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vinuneuro, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    My dad asked me to help sell his 05 X5 with 210k miles. He's in love with this car and arguably should have sold it a a few years ago. With a CEL for bad cats and a 4x4 light for transfer case motor he's finally come to terms that it's time to let go. It still drives very well because of his maintenance but won't pass emissions with the cel.

Will a dealer take a car with high miles and dashboard lights trade-in? Though in our family we've always sold privately, this one would be a pita.

2. bbpathfinder

bbpathfinder Karting

Mar 29, 2011
    Scottsdale AZ
    A dealer will take it, but try selling it on your own first, you might get more $$. Just be upfront about the CEL, maybe some do-it-yourselfer will want it.

3. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As far as I know, dealers will take in virtually anything....though what they give you for it might be another story :)

Jaguar36 likes this.
  4. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    Have you considered donating it? We had a'99 Audi A6 Avant that still drove well but required AC work. More $ than it was worth. The process was painless and you get a tax deduction.