Was anyone else told they must include this in their 488 Spider spec ? | FerrariChat

Was anyone else told they must include this in their 488 Spider spec ?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rocketman, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I was told it is mandatory to order the :

HELE - high emotion low emission package

PAC 1 - Rear parking camera

I didn't have to order this on my 488 coupe but I'm being told it's required now if I order a spider.
    Does this sound normal ?

2. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    In Europe, HELE is mandatory zero-cost and the rear parking camera (PAC1) was an optional no cost option when I ordered 6 months ago. So it doesn't sound unusual.

3. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    I just love the phrase "mandatory option".

Makuono likes this.
  4. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    I had heard that 2018 vehicles have to have a rear camera. No clue if that’s correct though.

5. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    You state that they were no cost options for you.
    I am being told I must order HELE at a cost of $1687 and Rear camera for $2700.
    I would not order either one if I had the choice.
    Seems strange that I did not have this on my 2017 Coupe but all of a sudden now it's a must.

6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I don't have HELE on my 2018 488 Spider, but I got delivery of the car in Sept 2017. I ordered the rear camera voluntarily.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I think the backup camera was required for most US cars starting in 2014 and the stupid auto stop was added in 2015. For some reason Ferrari got off the hook on these until recently, maybe due to low production numbers?

My 2014 991tts had the auto stop button but once engaged it was permanent, no need to push it each time the car is started.

8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Out here it's much the same - hele is mandatory as are rear park sensors. I had to pay for the camera as a cost option (which I chose) and I've found both sonar and camera are very useful options anyway.

The confusion mainly starts with the listing of the hele as a mandatory cost option. At the time I questioned the cost of the hele I was told it was mandatory that Ferrari fit it in every car and that I won't actually get charged for it. Incidentally there is no button for it in the car and when I took delivery of mine it had evidently been re programmed to be permanently off....which is good!

You will find the need for a camera or the rear sonar is now a mandatory legal safety requirement imposed by many countries due to kids being reversed over - these items listed on the invoice is to formally show the car was sold/supplied with these features.

OP I wouldn't be surprised if you found that your previous GTB had it as well - just that the dealer had re programmed it as off all the time.

9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    #9 Gh21631, Apr 17, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Worse than this in the US you are now required to order the passenger display for the Lusso at $6k. Now that is bs.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  10. cpd1

cpd1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    C
    HELE not required for me, Feb order, delivery end of May. Dealer actually said don't waste your money. You do get a better battery and alternator with it tho. I specced the camera but wasn't told it was mandatory

11. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Told HÉLÉ was mandatory. 2019 Spider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I have never heard of such a thing but I would say that the HELE is Just plain silly or Ferrari. I ordered the rear view camera because in my mind it is pretty much essential.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

13. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Both are true. State regulations can change (HELE) and a rear camera is now federally mandated in the USA as standard on all cars being manufactured in the year 2018. Your GTB was built in 2017, hence it wasn't a requirement back then.

14. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    HELE makes sense from the perspective that it is stop/start technology, and probably contributes to Ferrari meeting emissions and fuel economy standards.

15. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

My car was built in March and it is not equipped with HELE. When I ordered the car in October it was an option which I would pay to not have.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Interesting what I found out over here rear sensors standard no cost. As a bonus I was given front sensors for free. But what they did was include the cost but lowered all the other costs to make up for it.
    Reversing camera is is mandatory by May 2018 over here. But I believe since my car was ordered in 2017 and will be delivered after May it doesn't have to have one. Or maybe if im lucky it will have it :)
    BTW full electric seats are Standard here.
    As far as HELE wasn't even discussed

17. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    Mandatory? Never heard of that - my 2018 spider has camera i ordered not that ridiculous HELE

18. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I couldn't imagine any Ferrari buyer ever wanting HELE so it would simply come down to the vehicle design rules applicable to each state or country which the car is being supplied into. Same situation would apply to camera and/or front/rear sensors....

19. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #19 Lukeylikey, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    Can’t imagine why anyone would think Ferrari is being stupid with HELE, it’s only about emissions. Which means they have to have it. In Europe the cars are homologated with it so have to be supplied with it. And customers can’t be charged extra for what they cannot omit either, so the cost of it is already in the retail price. No-one likes it but the issue is one for the legislators.

20. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree. Ferrari doesn't have a choice nor does the buyer anymore. At least HELE can be programmed off but once Ferrari becomes electric that's not something you are going to be able to program away.

21. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I understand that it may be mandatory due to state or federal regulations but if that is the case why is it listed as an "option"......meaning you have a choice.
    More importantly why am I being made to pay an extra $1687 + $2700 = $4387 for stuff I don't even want ?
    If it's mandatory then put it on the car as standard equipment as part of the base price.

22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Can the Hele be permanently defeated?
    Is there a button you press each time?

23. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Since they decided to include HELE in all produced cars in Europe, they might have included the cost in the list price now; however when I got my early 488 GTB (in Sept. 2015) HELE was mandatory but came with an additional cost (I did not order it but got it and had to pay an extra for it).

24. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Evidently it is not included in the list price since I was told I have to order it at a charge of $1687 ( plus $2700 for the camera ).
    By definition if something is optional it means you have a choice.
    There is no choice here.
    These two items are still on the option list but are not optional.
    They are now mandatory but at the buyers expense.

25. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    I agree with you in principle, but at the end it doesn't matter. They have to comply with Federal and State regulations by making the two "options" mandatory. Expect it to be fixed in the 2019 MY (model year) for your region.

of2worlds likes this.