Dash Top Vent Removal | FerrariChat

Dash Top Vent Removal

Discussion in '348/355' started by Derekevan13, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Derekevan13

Derekevan13 Karting

Jun 9, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Does anyone know if the two dash vents with three hex bolts each can be removed without disassembling the dash? I’m thinking there may be nuts on the underside that are not secured to the dash. (Stock photo from the internet). Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Derekevan13 likes this.
  3. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Bonjour, comme le dit un tournevis et une clé Allen raccourcie pour que l'étape soit gênée par le pare-brise. Pour les clips, mettre un chiffon (chiffon) dessus pour ne pas avoir à le chercher partout dans la voiture.

Derekevan13 and Yassa like this.
  4. allandwf

allandwf Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2011
    Scotland UK
    Excellent timed post. That is on my to do list as they look very tatty on mine. Thanks

Derekevan13 likes this.
  5. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    and me! was on my list to do as the paint on mine is bubbling slightly.

I'm not sure if its plastic or metal; but either way they are coming off and being stripped and re-painted.

Derekevan13 likes this.
  6. Derekevan13

Derekevan13 Karting

Jun 9, 2017
    Sounds like no dash removal is needed, which is great. Ideally (if they are steel) I’d like to have them powder coated, but will likely strip with paint thinner, lightly sand, and hit them with flat black Rustoleum as I have a Concourse event on Sunday.

7. Derekevan13

Derekevan13 Karting

Jun 9, 2017
    348 Jeff, thank you for the thorough documentation! What was that third black piece you had on the table? Do you think powder coating is an overkill?

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The 3rd piece is the trim under the window sill round teh engine compartment (which is actually 3 pieces).

All my black plastic parts have just been stripped and then painted with a black satin spray paint which has proved fine.

If your getting other parts powder coated you might as well but I havent and they have been fine so yiur decision really

9. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    hello guys,
    I did this trim and cover plate painting 1 year ago, but in the process of removing the cover plates I damaged quite some little stuff.

Can someone explain to the community how exactly you removed the cover plates without damaging them?

I pried them off with a flat screwdriver, but could not do it without damaging the cover plate: on one, I even slipped of and damaged the dash leather a bit :-(
    Before installing them back on, I removed the snap lock notches and just installed them with a very weak glue to avoid the same trouble next time....

Best regards from Switzerland

10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I used a knife rather than a screwdriver as its thinner. Only thing I can recommend is to be very, very careful.

I agree on replacement - they are just too tight a fit so I sanded them down a bit until they would clip on without a lot of force but a light touch of glue is a good idea too

11. Ga68_

Ga68_ Karting

Jul 16, 2017
    France
    Full Name:
    Gaetan
    Personnellement, je n'ai rencontré aucun problème de démontage et de remontage ...
    sauf quand le clip saute, ou un chiffon dessus pendant l'effort du tournevis.

12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    What kind of cupcake was that?:rolleyes:

13. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We have done several hundred sets of these, if anyone doesn't want to mess with doing their own, give us a call or email. We can refinish them for you. Robbie

14. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Guys - when stripping these to bare aluminum (which I
    Recommend) use an epoxy primer even if a ratttle can. You can buy some 2 part epoxies from Eastwood that come in a rattle can with an activator. Not as good as a spray gun but not horrible. Epoxy is the best for bare metal. Self etch is OK but not as tough.